talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2011, 02:12 AM

Default Jewelry box and Marquestry

I'm starting a new thread in response to Laurie mentioning her purchase of some veneers and a suggestion of what to use them on. These are some of my first boxes using the "double bevel" technique that I find works well and you don't need alot of expensive tools. I purchased the book titled, The Art of Marquestry by Craig Vandall Stevens at Amazon to start. I actually first got it from the local library and then decided to purchase my own copy as it really is a good learning tool in itself. Lots of pics and step by step projects to get you started. I now add marquetry and or inlay to most of my pieces.
Attached Thumbnails
jewelry-box-marquestry-0713-small.jpg   jewelry-box-marquestry-1020-small.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-02-2011, 02:17 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel
Default Re: Jewelry box and Marquestry

Really nice work! Very tight marquetry. I'll have to look for that bok; seems like something well worth learning.

Thanks for the post!
Old 07-02-2011, 03:44 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Very nice! I like the soft corners too.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-02-2011, 10:53 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
Very nice! I like the soft corners too.
Tim,

Very nice boxes and I too will have to see if I can find that book. Do you have a preference at this point between inlay or marquetry?

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Old 07-02-2011, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Nice, Tim! Do you have a preference for subject matter?

Must be fun choosing the appropriate veneer.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:09 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Hey, Tim - thanks for thinking of me! Those boxes look great.

Good recommendation on the book, too. I'll have to get that one.
Old 07-07-2011, 05:04 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Very nice Tim. I too am ordering that book, thanks.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:27 PM

Fred, I sometimes combine marquetry and inlay as in this guitar. The flames in the body are a double bevel technique as shown in Steven's book. The headstock is mother of pearl and abalone that is an inlay. I have Larry Robisons's book The Art of Inlay which is another very instructive source especially for guitars but it works for other projects as well. The mother of pearl is cut by hand with a jeweler's saw and 3/0 blades. It can take 1/2 hour just to cut one small piece but the effect is so worth it. I cut out all the pieces, glue them together and then inlay into the stock as one piece.
Attached Thumbnails
jewelry-box-marquestry-0910-small.jpg   jewelry-box-marquestry-0914small.jpg  
Old 07-07-2011, 10:35 PM

Did you make a special table for cutting your veneer?

The reason I ask is that when I took a class on marquetry we had a special table to use and then I built one afterwards. It is always interesting to know how others do the same task in possibly different ways.

Peter
Old 07-09-2011, 02:35 AM

Peter,

I have an RBI-Hawk scroll saw that I use on some of my thicker veneers (3/32") but started with the little "bird's mouth" jig that was in Steven's book. I can change the bevel on the jig to set it for whatever thickness of veneers I use as the double bevel method requires the angle of the blade to be set according to the combined thickness of both veneers as you are cutting them at the same time. I cut the mother of pearl and shell using the small jig and jeweler's saw. The pieces are too small and precise to use the scroll saw.

Laurie,

I play the piano, have for many years. I have 2 sons, a daughter and son in law that all play the guitar really well. They teach me basics and any song I'm interested in. Not that I can play it when they leave but.......I am teaching myself to play the guitar now via books, internet and youtube and some group lessons which are alot of fun. I know how to read music and tab. Kind of how I learned about marquetry and inlay.
Attached Thumbnails
jewelry-box-marquestry-img_1005.jpg   jewelry-box-marquestry-img_1006.jpg