talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Jewelry box and Marquestry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

The fret saw worries, but the coping saw just deals with it.
I just knew that one was coming. And I was pretty sure of the source.

Old 07-11-2011, 05:27 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by plhalle View Post
Laurie,

When I saw this thread I remembered you getting into veneer and your desire to do smaller projects. That is why I wanted to post this.

This is as quiet and dust containing as your Joint Master or John's heavy iron (sorry John - I haven't mentioned anything in close to a year).

Since I posted I thought about Ron thinking about how to improve and make this better. A spring below to force the blade up. I cable connected to a treadle to be operated with the foot to pull it down. UHMW plastic dovetails for accuracy, a better angle locking system. Maybe even for the most simplistic change, an offset accessary handle for the saw.

With your attention to the littlest detail, your endless appetite for knowledge, your patience, and your artistic abilities, this is just another thing that you could be world class at.

PS. When you get into this and start searching for the perfect part of a piece of veneer for a particular spot, cut a circular hole in a piece of cardboard no bigger than a quarter. Put that over your veneer. You will be able to focus on the details.

Peter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
The fret saw worries, but the coping saw just deals with it.
Now THAT is clever Poto!

This is why Laurie will be absolutely fantastic at this art & craft -- because of my background I compulsively over think and over engineer everything to the point of taking the fun out of it. Laurie doesn't realize something won't work so goes ahead & makes it work perfectly...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:27 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post
And the gent's saw never tells.
Again, very clever.

And the JIG saw???

The BOW saw???

The BACK saw???
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-11-2011, 05:28 PM

I believe that a fret saw has a larger throat and is primarily set up to take plain end blades of a smaller size. Every coping saw I've seen has had a 4 inch approx throat and has been set up for pin end blades.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plhalle View Post
I believe that a fret saw has a larger throat and is primarily set up to take plain end blades of a smaller size. Every coping saw I've seen has had a 4 inch approx throat and has been set up for pin end blades.
Oh well, if you want to provide a straight answer you are correct.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
Again, very clever.

And the JIG saw???

The BOW saw???

The BACK saw???
The bow saw is a straight shooter. The back saw can't stomach being mistaken for a hack saw. The jig saw is mentally unstable. It has too many ups and downs.

Better?

Peter
Old 07-11-2011, 08:26 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

I opened the drawer that holds the assorted coping saw stuff gleaned from years of yard/garage sale expeditions carried out in the early '80s. The stuff was old or older back then and it's been sitting in that drawer for further decades.

I found two 4" coping saws, a nice 6" Parkers coping saw, an old Dixon jeweler's saw, and even an Atkins cast iron 8" hack saw frame.

One of the 4" saws is a Miller's Falls. Note that it is so old that the stamped name has an asterisk before the s.

I also found several packages of blades but most of them say "jig saw blades". These are from the time when what we now call a jig saw was fairly new and it was called a sabre saw. The jig saw was what we now call a scroll saw and was fairly primitive compared to the current models. The old school jig saws used plain end blades. The depths varied depending on use and the lengths varied depending on machine manufacturer.

Most of the blades in the drawer are extremely fine jeweler's saw blades. Wonder how many more years go by before I look at them again?
Old 07-12-2011, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

My scrollsaw just gets unravelled, but my back saw always returns.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 07-12-2011, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
I opened the drawer that holds the assorted coping saw stuff gleaned from years of yard/garage sale expeditions carried out in the early '80s. The stuff was old or older back then and it's been sitting in that drawer for further decades.

I found two 4" coping saws, a nice 6" Parkers coping saw, an old Dixon jeweler's saw, and even an Atkins cast iron 8" hack saw frame.

One of the 4" saws is a Miller's Falls. Note that it is so old that the stamped name has an asterisk before the s.

I also found several packages of blades but most of them say "jig saw blades". These are from the time when what we now call a jig saw was fairly new and it was called a sabre saw. The jig saw was what we now call a scroll saw and was fairly primitive compared to the current models. The old school jig saws used plain end blades. The depths varied depending on use and the lengths varied depending on machine manufacturer.

Most of the blades in the drawer are extremely fine jeweler's saw blades. Wonder how many more years go by before I look at them again?
I've mentioned this before on here but I still have an electric "jig" saw that I got for Christmas when I was around 10. It came with a book of projects to make from 1/4" ply -- that thing occupied me hour on end for months.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:01 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post
My hack saw just lost its job at News of the World, but expects to be hired at Fox.
That gave my rip saw gas.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959