talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2011, 07:00 AM

Default Cutting Corian: Any experience? Any tips?

I am looking into cutting a fairly large slab of Corian I've had in the back of one of my connexes since Hector was a pup - am in need of a rather free-form shelf. More precisely, I think it might make a skookum shelf atop some new shower stalls I've just put in - so a ledge above the three walls - 2 sides & back - for shampoo, soap, ear wax - that sort of stuff.

Anyway, does anyone know what blades - on the scroll saw / jig saw, I'm assuming - are appropriate for the stuff? Other tips?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-17-2011, 07:43 AM
Inactive Member

Default Re: Cutting Corian: Any experience? Any tips?

I don't recall if you have one, but the TS55/TS75 will be your best choice. If all you have is a jig saw, then you'll need to run a router down the edge to clean up the cut.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-17-2011, 11:33 AM

As Rick said... just wanted to add that you'll want to finish trim any cut with a router either way. Treat it like glass... no chips or square inside corners from which a crack could start.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:28 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

I'm thinking the operative term in Audie's post was "free form."

So... just in case he has visions of Corian CURVES dancing in his head....
  • What would be the best tool for THAT?
  • Would a bandsaw be a good choice (assuming there's a way to adequately support the workpiece)?
  • Would a jigsaw be better?
  • Would a scroll saw even be ABLE to cut Corian?
  • And so on....
Old 06-17-2011, 04:39 PM

Right-o. The TS75 isn't my weapon of choice for wavy cuts...

I perhaps should have been more specific in the opening post: are there router bits or scroll saw blades more appropriate than others for working with Corian?

I do like the "no abrupt inside corners" to thwart incipient cracks - thanks, Craig.
Old 06-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasslefactor View Post
  • What would be the best tool for THAT?
  • Would a bandsaw be a good choice (assuming there's a way to adequately support the workpiece)?
  • Would a jigsaw be better?
  • Would a scroll saw even be ABLE to cut Corian?
  • And so on....
With a large slab, and a free-form cut I would choose a jigsaw with a diamond or carbide tip blade, and then as Rick said clean the edge with a router.

Such blades are available for a scroll saw as well, but with a large slab it would be hard to guide it through the saw, IF it had a deep enough throat.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:56 PM

You can sand the chips out... or you can cut your wavy on a pattern to later follow with the router (recommended). As long as there are no chips or saw marks for a crack to start. It's been a few years but I think the expansion rate for corian is 1/32" over a sq.ft... something like that. And the inside radius for a corner is 1". I'm a certified fabricator since back in the day.
Old 06-18-2011, 01:15 AM

That was my evil twin brother - on a coffeeless morning - who put in the term "scroll saw". If I'd had control of the keyboard, you would have read "saber saw".... ie, a "jig" saw. A hundred or so years ago, a shop teacher admonished us never to call a saber saw a jig saw; every now and again I remember that. Pity him if he heard me call it a scroll saw....