talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2011, 05:08 PM

Default Designing and Building an Entertainment Centre

I was in two minds whether to post this. It feels early in the build. It may take some time yet. On the other hand it has taken too long already and this may force me to get a move on!

I've called it The Start ...

http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/DesigningandBuildinganEntertainmentCentre.html

It would be great if you posted your own builds, or even just offer ideas. It is never too late to incorporate something new. At the least someone will gain something from you.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Last edited by derekcohen; 06-15-2011 at 05:10 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-15-2011, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Designing and Building an Entertainment Centre

Since you're building an entertainment center, I'm sure Fred will come along with some input...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-15-2011, 11:07 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

That is really fine work, Derek! I don't think you need any advice from Fred!

BTW, I always find myself reading you site with an Austrailian accent...

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 06-16-2011, 02:45 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
That is really fine work, Derek! I don't think you need any advice from Fred!

BTW, I always find myself reading you site with an Austrailian accent...

So, your lips are moving as you read along?
Old 06-16-2011, 04:44 AM

Beautiful work Derek! Thanks for posting.
Old 06-16-2011, 05:25 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

I even liked the photos of other 'boxes' at teh start. Nice article.

Whenever I see that vice of yours for cutting panel dovetails I think I should come up with a similar appliance. Looks to work very well.

Thanks as always,
Paul-Marcel
Old 06-16-2011, 07:06 AM

Thanks guys.

Any comments on the design (this is one place Fred has nothing to offer! )? I have had second thoughts about including brass on the corners, as per tradition, as I think it would be too busy on this more modern version - plus might be out-of-place with the oak base.

Any other thoughts? Such as a way to conceal wiring? The back is to be tongue-and-grooved (using my nice new LN #48).

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 06-16-2011, 09:43 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

Must be something about entertainment centers... I have one designed and wood purchased (I'm acclimatizing it ) and every time I go to start it, something else intervenes.

I like how you came up with the design starting with the military chest idea and evolving it.

For the design, I think it would be a very modern touch that I'd like if the base had a small inset base. The chests would be on the inset base. It would look less like chests on an alcove (like a tokonoma) and more like holding the chests up to draw focus.

There's a lot of Japanese hardware available now that is more black than shiny brass. If I were to put metal corners, I'd use the corners of Tansu.

But what I was really thinking was wooden corners. Dunno how you'd do it; maybe get a carver friend. Basically make the metal corners of a chest from wood and install it on the corners. You'd likely have to cut a recess into the corners as nobody is going to make the wooden 'metal' corners thin like the metal versions. I just think that would be ridiculously sharp.

As for hiding wires, my entertainment center includes a back column that is hollow; wires can enter from any shelf by going down into an angled recess by the column (back of shelf) to enter the column. It is angled to hide the hole and not let you peek into the column; somewhat like a scarf joint hides the joint.

For yours, a false back may be the best option. So run a groove 30-50mm from the back and install those tongue-n-groove panels there as well. A couple could have holes near the bottom for wires.
Old 06-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Super Moderator

It's beautiful so far, Derek. I agree with Paul-Marcel - put a false back in. The wires can go between the false back and the real back. If you make it so that the false back is in two pieces that can slide in grooves, you can access the space by sliding one of the panels left or right. From the back, it would still look solid.

You might even consider running a power strip wire up inside one of the legs and into the cabinet so that there are no wires hanging out the back or sides. You could plug all your equipment into the power strip (in the space between the false back and real back), and have just one plug coming out.

My personal preference would be to leave the metal corners off, though it will not echo the campaign chests so well. Paul-Marcel's idea of tansu hardware is an interesting one, though the look will be quite different. Since the entertainment center will not be traveling much, you don't really need the corners.

Thanks for posting. It's great to see your work.
Old 06-16-2011, 06:13 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

I feel dumb for offering this, as I'm sure you've already planned it, but you're going to need some serious ventilation. I've seen too many centers that didn't have much and the components don't live as long (or as happily).

Mike