talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 04:10 PM

Default More fun with PurpleHeart-flowerboxes

With a smaller variation on my outdoor projects using PurpleHeart, here are 2 small boxes that I made to fit around plastic boxes/liners. I challenged myself to use as much scrap pieces as possible, so much so that I was able to use the thin Cedar square cut-offs from slowly working a 4 x4 Cedar post down into multiple legs for the boxes, instead of using 4/4 material joined at either a miter joint or a simple butt joint.
The square Cedar strips became the vertical moulding trim for the center or field of the boxes. Great way to reduce the kindling pile for change instead of just adding to it.
Finish is Waterlox Marine Varnish, with several thinned coats applied first before the full strength ones[learned that one from Hasslefactor here].
THAT made the Waterlox apply easier than when I had used it before on an outdoor Teak table we have. You learn as you go....
The purpleheart is mitered at the corners, with 6mm SIPO tenons added to the joint to help it along.
Stainless steel 18ga brads or 23ga pins join the rest of it along with some Titebond 3 in certain areas. The plastic boxes are supported on the bottom with 2 large cedar strips screwed to the sides [vertically] since a nail here would be loaded in withdrawal with the weight of the plant pushing down on it all the time. 305 Stainless Steel screws from McFeelys for that joint.
Walnut trim on the bottom both dresses it up and hides the 2 bottom support pieces on all 4 sides.
Attached Thumbnails
more-fun-purpleheart-flowerboxes-picture-115.jpg   more-fun-purpleheart-flowerboxes-picture-116.jpg   more-fun-purpleheart-flowerboxes-picture-118.jpg  
Old 06-13-2011, 09:35 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America
Default Re: More fun with PurpleHeart-flowerboxes

Very nice, the purpleheart really sets them off.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-21-2011, 02:57 AM

That's a nice job. Looks good with that color combination. I don't know how well that purpleheart stands up to weather
but if machining it is any indication it should out last the cedar.
I made some of those boxes to hold plants I really, really, really wish I had used cedar.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-22-2011, 03:29 AM

Just be sure to wear a proper mask if your gonna be kicking up any dust.

Take a look here,,,,,,

Toxic Woods List
Old 06-22-2011, 06:15 AM

It looks like a list of nonfatal, nontoxic wood, would be shorter.
I see now how they're going to get woodworkers to become extinct.
They won't force saw stops on us they'll just restrict the sale of
wood they deem toxic. Starting in CA.

Leakyroof probably didn't need a dust mask he needed a oxygen mask and
a fire extinguisher to counter the burning. At least that's my experience.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:23 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel

ha ha, all the rough stock sold in California will have a Prop 65 warning on it
Old 06-22-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark View Post
It looks like a list of nonfatal, nontoxic wood, would be shorter.
I see now how they're going to get woodworkers to become extinct.
They won't force saw stops on us they'll just restrict the sale of
wood they deem toxic. Starting in CA.

Leakyroof probably didn't need a dust mask he needed a oxygen mask and
a fire extinguisher to counter the burning. At least that's my experience.
Cocobolo is supposed to be more likely to cause a bad reaction to you than Purple Heart from what I've read. However, between my JDS overhead air filter unit , my Delta dust collector with its cartridge filter, and my CT-22 with Dust Deputy and Hepa Filters in the CT,I'm pretty covered when working with Purple Heart and other woods.
As for the burning, YEP, it's a wood that burns pretty easy on the Table Saw when cutting it. No smoke, just black marks from me going too slowly through the blade.

Outdoor rating of Purple Heart is very good, so it's one of the better woods to use for outdoor projects, along with all the same ones in this class/rating. Don't expect to add much to the heartwood in the way of preservatives, it's too dense to soak anything up. Rated very resistant, and after using oil on one project as a finish, I totally agree.
Surface/film finishes seem to be the way to go to add any protection to this wood. I'll take some pictures of my plant stand that's been outside for only about one month in the sun[most of the day, till the angle changes]. The bright color of the wood has already been changed to a purple brownish state, but I knew this would happen going in, so it's not a surprise. It was finished with General Finish 450, which I guess is really an acrylic and not a varnish since its water based?
The two small flowerboxes were finished with Waterlox Marine, and the one that I still have will live all day in the sun as the house does not shield it in anyway like other things in my backyard. So, with a different finish than the plant stand, and more sun , time will show how that affects the purple heart on the little box.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
Very nice, the purpleheart really sets them off.
Thanks, my wife loved them so much that I was forced to keep one of them, as I HAD planned on giving both away to some friends. Now it appears that other family members are hinting at how nice one would look in THEIR house or yard..
Durn, I guess I know how SOME of my summer will be spent this year....
Old 06-23-2011, 06:12 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Leaky, those are GORGEOUS!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 02:35 AM

Laurie, Those are really nice shoes you have there. My wife would be jealous.