talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2010, 01:23 AM

Default Re: Nine knife holders awaiting

Quote:
Originally Posted by EijiFuller View Post
Jay,
what are the black collars for? What is the interior material. I'm not super enthusiastic about the design as I would prefer it solid wood and angled. I'm pretty sure the black plastic rods would look nice with the black interior of your blocks.
Bass wood interior, with the zebra wood veneer. I just wanted a "cap" on the top of the wood to hide the veneer, the prototype has worked well for years, we use it for the small knives, just drop them in and they nestle between the bamboo skewers

Jay
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-06-2010, 04:31 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Very cool, Jay - your friends are going to LOVE those!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-06-2010, 10:47 AM

Great design and nice work Jay. I like the concept. In fact I thought of doing something similar when I went down this path exactly 12 months ago.

I'm not sure if I should post this, as I don't wish to detract from your work, but you were looking at ideas. This is what I came up with ...

Designed and built the knife handles as well as the knife block ..

Article: http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furnitu...nifeblock.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 12-06-2010, 12:23 PM

Derek

No worries, I think your block is very cool, just a different concept for a different need. We have a "big knife" block sitting on another part of our kitchen counter, this is for the small knives that we use most of the time.

Jay