talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 04:56 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Dining Room Chairs Fix

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesWilson View Post
Here's a link to an article by Bob Flexner from Oct, 2009 about regluing chairs:

Popular Woodworking - Regluing Doweled Chairs
From the article, "I dont know how many chairs Ive reglued during the last three decades, but it must be in the thousands."

I'm gonna read that!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-20-2010, 08:09 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesWilson View Post
Here's a link to an article by Bob Flexner from Oct, 2009 about regluing chairs:

Popular Woodworking - Regluing Doweled Chairs
Very helpful, Thanks a bunch!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 01-21-2010, 04:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONWEN View Post
Now that Laurie is an accomplished restoration craftsperson, I'm expecting some good advice from her.
Let's see...

I can sand (without causing too much damage)...
I can scrape (with some risk of making things less flat than they were when I started)...
I can take stuff apart (in ways that give me the opportunity to solve NEW problems)...
I can paint (without too many unintended consequences)...

Once I even started to paint a chair (still unfinished, 15 years later)...

But...
Although I am developing a keen fascination for hide glue...
I still don't know a single thing about gluing furniture together.
Except for what I just read in this thread.

And...
Since the chair you see here has need gluing for some time
(see that joint in the upper left? It pulls right apart)...
This has all been VERY helpful.

Thanks!
Old 01-21-2010, 04:34 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

That chair is cute!
Old 01-21-2010, 04:38 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Nice!
Old 01-21-2010, 09:54 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to hasslefactor

Here's a close-up of where it's coming apart and needs gluing. There are a few other loose joints, but this one is by far the worst:

I'm planning to strip the chair and repaint it, so I figured I'd reglue everything then. Unfortunately that project's way back in the queue behind a lot of other projects... and every time the chair gets moved (constantly), this one joint gets looser... with bad consequences for the rest of the chair. I know I should just go ahead and glue it to keep it from getting worse - but I want to do it right and I haven't wanted to take the time to figure it out until I get some other things off my plate.

I'll be getting back to my desk in the next couple of weeks, and the next thing on THAT agenda is reattaching some pieces of veneer. I'm using hide glue for that, so maybe I could also use it for a temporary fix on this one joint on the chair while I'm at it.

Thoughts?
Old 01-22-2010, 04:02 PM

Location: Born and raised in Omaha,NE. Trying to scratch out a living doing fine art in the midwest.

I have glued up many chairs both on my own and at Ne. Furniture Mart for 7 yrs. The Flexner article is excellent. I was taught to disassemble as much as possible, clean off old adhesive and if necessary rebuild the joint to get a proper fit. Definitely a lot of labor. Frequently you will do more damage disassembling the chair, a lot of split solid wood seats, which were easy to reglue along the split lines. Ditto to the spiral groove dowels. Sharp chisels a necessity to removing old adhesive. In a pinch you can wrap a glue soaked piece of cotton around a dowel to get a tighter fit but that is kinda iffy and a pain in the neck to clean with a razor. Anyway a piece of furniture doesn't get to be an antique if it doesn't get repaired.
Matt

P.S. I said in a pinch...lol
Old 01-22-2010, 04:07 PM

Duct tape Laurie Duct Tape!

Then when you see how ugly it looks with the DT, you'll fix it properly!

Jay
Old 01-22-2010, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstrol View Post
I have glued up many chairs both on my own and at Ne. Furniture Mart for 7 yrs. The Flexner article is excellent. I was taught to disassemble as much as possible, clean off old adhesive and if necessary rebuild the joint to get a proper fit. Definitely a lot of labor. Frequently you will do more damage disassembling the chair, a lot of split solid wood seats, which were easy to reglue along the split lines. Ditto to the spiral groove dowels. Sharp chisels a necessity to removing old adhesive. In a pinch you can wrap a glue soaked piece of cotton around a dowel to get a tighter fit but that is kinda iffy and a pain in the neck to clean with a razor. Anyway a piece of furniture doesn't get to be an antique if it doesn't get repaired.
Matt

P.S. I said in a pinch...lol

I agree, the article seems to cover every question I can think of. I'm sure after the first chair I will have "learned" a lot more about the whole process.
Old 01-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKnoll View Post
Duct tape Laurie Duct Tape!

Then when you see how ugly it looks with the DT, you'll fix it properly!

Jay
A loop of baling wire from corner to corner, tightened by twisting a stick in the middle works great, too.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959