talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2009, 09:19 AM

Default Red Gum and Wenge Jewellery box

Hi all,

This is a Red Gum Jewellery box with Wenge trays and splines.
The timber is 12mm thick and the top panels were joined using 4mm dominoes. The spline trenches were also made using the 4mm domino cutter.
The dimensions are 300 x 250 x 95mm (99mm including the lid)
The centre panel in the lid is made of two book matched pieces of Red Gum

Love this Domino!

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
red-gum-wenge-jewellery-box-rg-wenge-jewel-box_1.jpg   red-gum-wenge-jewellery-box-rg-wenge-jewel-box_2.jpg   red-gum-wenge-jewellery-box-rg-wenge-jewel-box_3.jpg   red-gum-wenge-jewellery-box-rg-wenge-jewel-box_4.jpg   red-gum-wenge-jewellery-box-rg-wenge-jewel-box_5.jpg  

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Red Gum and Wenge Jewellery box

Very nice, Rob. What's the finish?

And could you show us the jig you used to make the spline trenches?
Old 10-27-2009, 04:41 PM

Thanks Poto.
The finish is Scandinavian Oil, friction sealed to 4000g. This box has yet to be waxed with U Beaut Traditional wax. (available I believe in the US.)

I use a very basic system to rout the splines. I use two pieces of timber cut to a 45 degree angle, then matched at the corner of the mitre and the top of the box. I clamp them to the box body. For this box, I set the first cut at 10mm from the top and the second to 18mm from the top. Then I set the domino to its widest cut, with a cut depth of 20mm, which gives a 10mm trench using the 4mm cutter. Hey Presto, spline trenches.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
red-gum-wenge-jewellery-box-4mm_5.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-27-2009, 04:44 PM

Great job and great idea on the splines, thanks for the post and the pics!

Jay
Old 10-27-2009, 04:56 PM
Super Moderator

Cool! I'm not sure what "friction sealed to 4000g" means. Could you explain?
Old 10-27-2009, 07:54 PM

I'll venture a guess the oil is sanded in at a high grit to seal the wood...

Nice box! I've got to tackle another box sometime, this time on my own versus going from a plan. That lacewood one is a beauty too btw.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenziedrums View Post
I'll venture a guess the oil is sanded in at a high grit to seal the wood...
Hi Poto,
mckenziedrums is right. Typically, I will sand a work piece at 80,120,150,180,240 and 400grit, then wipe the piece down with Mineral Turps, allow to dry then saturate the piece with Scandinavian oil.

(I use SO rather than Danish because I feel it gives better grain resolution. I did a comparison a while back on some highly figured wood and found the DO masked some of the more subtle grain.)

After oiling, I proceed up through the grits (starting with the 400g pad used before) using 400, 600, 800, 1200, 1500 Brilliant pads, then 2000 and 4000g Platin 2 pads.
Sounds like a lot of work, but you don't need to do too much work with each pad. Usually only two or three passes over the timber for each. I like to give the oil a couple of days to dry fully before waxing. Note that you can use just about any final finish you want over the oiled timber.

The pic below gives an idea of the finished, waxed appearance. It is a sofa table of Tasmanian Blackwood with Red gum bread board ends.

Regards,

Rob
Attached Thumbnails
red-gum-wenge-jewellery-box-bw-hall-table_5.jpg  

Last edited by Ausrob; 10-27-2009 at 08:57 PM.
Old 10-27-2009, 09:01 PM

You guys have so many cool woods to work with over there... I know the drum builders from down under get to play with all kinds of fancy lumber. Heck some guys sell Jarrah ply snares for $800 USD+ it's crazy.

I usually get funny looks from woodworkers when I mention using 2000 grit sand paper. Apparently some people think 400 grit is a finishing paper...

Table looks great btw! Thats a project I want to take on here sometime soon as I haven't built anything that big yet. From what I hear it's considerably easier than the jewelry box I did a while back.

You ever try Waterlox tung oil? It does amazing things to grain...