talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 01:17 PM

Default Any Christmas projects in the works yet?

Just curious who's giving out wood working gifts this year... As I'm the newb to woodworking I can get away with doing some cutting boards this year. Though I'm going to be doing a knife rest of some sort for my father in law out of a stack of curly maple I have laying here.

Here's one of the cutting boards:

Was going to miter the edges but decided it would hold up better without the mitered edge.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-23-2009, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Any Christmas projects in the works yet?

It's a little hard to see the inside wood there, Tim. Is that book-matched end-grain walnut? Or maybe it's not end grain?

Looks nice, though I'd worry about it blowing apart with moisture changes. I have one somewhat similar that's delaminating after 20 years...
Old 10-23-2009, 03:53 PM

20 yrs is an acceptable life span... that means I only have to wait another 20 yrs before doing chopping blocks again Then again I hope it doesn't see TOO many humidity and temperature changes living inside a kitchen.

It's end grain walnut... spent quite a bit of time getting it all laid out the way I wanted. I picked up a bunch of cut offs from a local door maker and along with mostly sapele there were a few walnut blocks in the bunch. It's pretty dark and definitely hard to photograph.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-23-2009, 04:34 PM

Location: 41N 79W One of the Thirteen Original Colonies of the United States of America

Way too nice to slice on! Very nice.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:35 PM

Upon further reflection... if it actually gets used... that means it actually get cleaned.... and I see the issue there with the woods expanding in different directions at different rates. Guess we'll have to see how it holds up.

So I guess I'm the only one that's been doing this a short enough time to get away with wood working gifts as presents? lol
Old 10-23-2009, 05:23 PM
Super Moderator

No - you're the only one who's thinking that far ahead. I'm still trying to figure out what to get for my father's birthday. It's today.
Old 10-23-2009, 05:25 PM

Very nice Tim, I agree with you regarding not doing the mitered edges- esp being around all that moisture.

hmmm, I always thought homemade Christmas gifts are the ones you intend to make before Christmas but in reality are made after Christmas and give out on New Years Day.

.....with a card given at Christmas with a drawing of said project.

Last edited by RogerSavatteri; 10-23-2009 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-23-2009, 07:03 PM

Lets put it this way.... The shoe rack was promised probably darn near a year ago... the jewelry box for Callie's birthday was at least 2 months late... I figured I'd try something new and get a head start lol
Old 10-26-2009, 01:22 PM

And just to spite you slackers I put together a little pocket knife stand thingy for the father in law yesterday. Pics to follow once I get a finish on it. Used a little chunk of the curly maple I had but I did have to dye it Honey Amber (Read: Orange) since he's a diehard TN fan.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckenziedrums View Post
And just to spite you slackers I put together a little pocket knife stand thingy for the father in law yesterday. Pics to follow once I get a finish on it. Used a little chunk of the curly maple I had but I did have to dye it Honey Amber (Read: Orange) since he's a diehard TN fan.
......and for the mother in law?