talkFestool

talkFestool (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/)
-   Woodworking Projects (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/woodworking-projects/)
-   -   Any Christmas projects in the works yet? (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/woodworking-projects/2630-any-christmas-projects-works-yet.html)

mckenziedrums 10-23-2009 01:17 PM

Any Christmas projects in the works yet?

Just curious who's giving out wood working gifts this year... As I'm the newb to woodworking I can get away with doing some cutting boards this year. Though I'm going to be doing a knife rest of some sort for my father in law out of a stack of curly maple I have laying here.

Here's one of the cutting boards:

http://mckenziedrums.com/WoodWorking...lnutCB%202.jpg

Was going to miter the edges but decided it would hold up better without the mitered edge.

Poto 10-23-2009 03:46 PM

Re: Any Christmas projects in the works yet?

It's a little hard to see the inside wood there, Tim. Is that book-matched end-grain walnut? Or maybe it's not end grain?

Looks nice, though I'd worry about it blowing apart with moisture changes. I have one somewhat similar that's delaminating after 20 years...

mckenziedrums 10-23-2009 03:53 PM

20 yrs is an acceptable life span... that means I only have to wait another 20 yrs before doing chopping blocks again ;) Then again I hope it doesn't see TOO many humidity and temperature changes living inside a kitchen.

It's end grain walnut... spent quite a bit of time getting it all laid out the way I wanted. I picked up a bunch of cut offs from a local door maker and along with mostly sapele there were a few walnut blocks in the bunch. It's pretty dark and definitely hard to photograph.

RONWEN 10-23-2009 04:34 PM

Way too nice to slice on! Very nice. :thumbsup2:

mckenziedrums 10-23-2009 04:35 PM

Upon further reflection... if it actually gets used... that means it actually get cleaned.... and I see the issue there with the woods expanding in different directions at different rates. Guess we'll have to see how it holds up.

So I guess I'm the only one that's been doing this a short enough time to get away with wood working gifts as presents? lol

Poto 10-23-2009 05:23 PM

No - you're the only one who's thinking that far ahead. I'm still trying to figure out what to get for my father's birthday. It's today.

RogerSavatteri 10-23-2009 05:25 PM

Very nice Tim, I agree with you regarding not doing the mitered edges- esp being around all that moisture.

hmmm, I always thought homemade Christmas gifts are the ones you intend to make before Christmas but in reality are made after Christmas and give out on New Years Day.

.....with a card given at Christmas with a drawing of said project.
:D

mckenziedrums 10-23-2009 07:03 PM

Lets put it this way.... The shoe rack was promised probably darn near a year ago... the jewelry box for Callie's birthday was at least 2 months late... I figured I'd try something new and get a head start lol

mckenziedrums 10-26-2009 01:22 PM

And just to spite you slackers I put together a little pocket knife stand thingy for the father in law yesterday. Pics to follow once I get a finish on it. Used a little chunk of the curly maple I had but I did have to dye it Honey Amber (Read: Orange) since he's a diehard TN fan.

RogerSavatteri 10-26-2009 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mckenziedrums (Post 37543)
And just to spite you slackers I put together a little pocket knife stand thingy for the father in law yesterday. Pics to follow once I get a finish on it. Used a little chunk of the curly maple I had but I did have to dye it Honey Amber (Read: Orange) since he's a diehard TN fan.

......and for the mother in law?
:D