talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2009, 07:38 AM

Default Response to Design Challenge - Height adjustable MFT Carts

Well, sorry for the long title.

I have been thinking about a solution for my shop space requirements and storage for a while and when the Design challenge was posted for a height adjustable MFT cart/ bench it got me thinking. I know, first time for everything right? At first I was like "no way, its not gonna happen." but the wheels started crankin.
My shop space is small so it means that I generally have to reconfigure my work area to suit what I am doing at the time. When you have systainers and vacs struin about that makes it cumbersome at best to move the MFT's around. I have always been a little negative about the MFT1080's due the relative small size compared to the workbenches I am used to. But when I have the chance to pick up a demo basic and regular 1080 for 25% off I couldnt pass it up. I also had most of the parts floating around to build another MFT1080 top. I have ordered the parts needed for that and will have 3 MFT1080s. So I am building 3 mobile, height adjustable MFT Carts. The adjustment range will be from 35 1/2" max to match the MFT3 height to about 31 3/4" in 3/4" increments. The carts double as sysports as well and will have systainer drawers on both sides. I have opted not to store anything other than the systainers and drawers (i.e. compressor or vac) because I dont know if I will always be running off a small portable compressor and the vac will be moving from one cart or another for different work most of the time. Obviously you could encorporate storage for either if you prefered.
I have ordered 12 locking swivel casters from grizzly and they should be here tommorrow. I have also ordered 20 full extension drawer slides from my hardware supplier. 14" ball bearing accurides for 5.50/pr. not bad. I went with all locking swivel casters so I wouldnt ever have to walk around the table to lock the wheels.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:45 AM

Default Re: Response to Design Challenge - Height adjustable MFT Carts

The material is 18mm shop grade baltic birch.

6 sheets of 5x5 cut up into parts all on the MFT.

I am labeling the parts as I go

[IMG]http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/members/eijifuller-albums-mft-cart-picture1717-img-0027.jpg[/IMG]

Here I have placed the middle divider on top of the cart bottom and measure the difference.

I can then center the divider over the cart bottom and cut the domino slots.

Last edited by DanClark; 12-29-2009 at 08:33 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-12-2009, 07:57 AM

Dominoed. You've noticed I have made a story stick for the domino layout so I only have to lay out once.

I then move the divider to cut the slots where the divider will go.
[IMG]http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/members/eijifuller-albums-mft-cart-picture1722-img-0032.jpg[/IMG]

Once I have dominoed all the parts I move to the pocket hole operation.
I have stolen Jerry Work's idea of router stations between MFT's and encorportated that into my pocket hole station.

[IMG]http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/members/eijifuller-albums-mft-cart-picture1725-img-0036.jpg[/IMG]

here it is from the back

Off to the races.... quick sand all the parts. I only did one grit at 150

And sprayed 2 coats of WB poly. I would have gone for three but I ran out. Oh well. I will spray another coat or 2 on the outside of the cart after the build.

Last edited by DanClark; 12-29-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:12 AM

Time for assembly. The dominoes are only for alignment the pocket holes will keep the cart together.

Divider into the sides

Bottom pops on the sides and divider
[IMG]http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/members/eijifuller-albums-mft-cart-picture1728-img-0040.jpg[/IMG]
Flip over
[IMG]http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/members/eijifuller-albums-mft-cart-picture1729-img-0041.jpg[/IMG]
add the vertical dividers

Pop on the top, clamp and screw.
[IMG]http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/members/eijifuller-albums-mft-cart-picture1731-img-0038.jpg[/IMG]

The 3 cart carcass assemblies are assembled. OK so now will come the really cool part of the design. The tops and bottoms overhang. The top's overhang will be notched and accept the adjustable bracket that supports the MFT frame. The bottoms overhang will also be notched so I can reduce the 4" caster height to 3 1/4".

That is enough work for one day.

Last edited by DanClark; 12-29-2009 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:50 AM

You da man!
Old 02-12-2009, 08:59 AM
Super Moderator

Looks like fun, Eiji. I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out.

Okay, this is a dumb question, but shouldn't the bow clamps go the other way up? With the curved side facing the material, to give even pressure when clamped at the ends?
Old 02-12-2009, 02:36 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Eiji Said, "Pop on the top, clamp and screw."

No glue?

Looking good, can't wait to see the height adjustment feature.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:38 PM

I am building for speed. I need these done so I can get back to making money so no glue but alot of pocket hole screws.

Poto, when the bow clamps get clamped the bow turns inside out.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:46 PM
Founding Member

Eiji,

Looking good! A great tutorial on building fast and strong.

Thanks,

Dan.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:54 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by EijiFuller View Post
I am building for speed. I need these done so I can get back to making money so no glue but alot of pocket hole screws.

Poto, when the bow clamps get clamped the bow turns inside out.

A smart strategic choice, and you preserve the possibility of knocking them down for moving.

Someone (I think Eco) said he used T&G joints and pocket screws without glue on a cabinet.