talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Projects, Methods, and Techniques > Woodworking Projects

Woodworking Projects Chairs to chests, boxes to breadboards? Stop in!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 04:52 PM

Default Workbench...First woodworking project

Hello everyone,

As my first post here I thought it would fitting to post the pic's of my first woodworking project.

As a Festool owner and newbie woodworker I have been sponging up all the expert advice that all of you have contributed, here and elsewhere. Thank You Very Much!!!

The approx. specs are 96"L x 30W x 36H. Base and top are Hard Maple, apron is Zebra.

I didn't take many pics of the build, but here are a few.

Thank You,
Ken (the guy from NYC)
Attached Thumbnails
workbench-first-woodworking-project-2.jpg   workbench-first-woodworking-project-3.jpg   workbench-first-woodworking-project-006.jpg   workbench-first-woodworking-project-6.jpg   workbench-first-woodworking-project-7.jpg  

workbench-first-woodworking-project-8.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-30-2008, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Workbench...First woodworking project

Hey Ken - First, thanks for posting! Welcome to talkFestool.

Great bench. It's really nice to see the progression. The zebra looks great on the aprons and vise. What did you finish it with? And what did you use to hold your hose up? I couldn't tell if the boom arm extended all the way over there.

Nice looking shop. How do you like that Jet bench saw?
Old 09-30-2008, 05:20 PM

Thanks Poto,
The base finish is Minwax satin WOP, the top is Watco's danish oil, wipe on-wipe off about 8 times. Let dry, then buffed with carnauba wax. Yes, it's only the boom arm. The photo distorts the depth a bit. I liked the Jet (which I bought for my dad) until Festool. Truth be told, exposed blades kinda scare me. When I first started this bench I had a few close calls ripping the 10ft. 8/4 maple, and a hole in the garage siding from an offshoot piece. I kinda put the Jet on the back burner until I figure out how all this Festool stuff works and it's capabilities.

Last edited by ken; 09-30-2008 at 05:23 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Super Moderator

I'm totally with you on the scary exposed blades. I don't have a table saw, and I've never had "kickback" with the ATF55 (TS55). I put kickback in quotes, because it's actually kick forward with these saws. They're so much safer - you almost never see the blade.

It looks like you used your router to make the holes for the bench dogs. What size did you make them? How did you center them? By eye, or a jig?

And again, I love your vise!
Old 09-30-2008, 08:04 PM

I don't have the exact measurements right now. I used a 78" straight edge to mark the 2 rows along the length, one close to the edge the other in the middle. Then I used a big T square to mark perpendicular lines every 9 inches or so. Once that was done I used a cheap 3/4" straight bit to route thru the 2" top with the 1400. I got a lot of burning with that bit, don't know if it was due to too high rpm's or the cheap bit. That's why the holes are dark, I really burnt the first one so I said screw it and didn't mind burning the others because I would stain the insides even darker afterwards.
Attached Thumbnails
workbench-first-woodworking-project-106.jpg  
Old 09-30-2008, 09:13 PM

Send a message via AIM to BrockinFla

Maple is easy to burn due to the sugar content. A nice sharp, clean blade/bit and a moderately faster feed rate then one would normally use have seemed to help me.

JM2C

Great looking bench I just made one out of pine recently. Cant really see much of it from the pictures since I am finishing my entertainment center on top of it.
Attached Thumbnails
workbench-first-woodworking-project-img_0278.jpg   workbench-first-woodworking-project-img_0285.jpg  
Old 09-30-2008, 10:22 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken View Post

As my first post here I thought it would fitting to post the pic's of my first woodworking project...

Ken, it's great to have you here. And if this is your first project, I expect we'll be seeing some fantastic stuff down the road.

Great job on the bench!
Old 09-30-2008, 10:44 PM
Super Moderator

Those straight-cutting bits are great for dados and rabbets, but not so good for hole drilling. A better bit would have been a spiral upcut (clears chips well), though I'm not sure you'd find a 3/4" diameter one. Well, maybe for the 1400 - I only have the 1010, and getting 1/4" shank bits can be tricky. But I think you'd get less burning with a spiral bit.
Old 10-01-2008, 12:33 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Those straight-cutting bits are great for dados and rabbets, but not so good for hole drilling. A better bit would have been a spiral upcut (clears chips well), though I'm not sure you'd find a 3/4" diameter one. Well, maybe for the 1400 - I only have the 1010, and getting 1/4" shank bits can be tricky. But I think you'd get less burning with a spiral bit.
You could drill a 1/2 inch hole (with a drill) first, and then the straight router bit would plunge okay. With some R bits you might need a 5/8" clearance hole.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:09 AM

Gareat job there Ken! Thanks for the post