talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-15-2008, 06:32 AM

Default Great Job Dan!

Okay, talkFestool just went through a software upgrade. I'm still not sure what the benefits are but we all know, you never want to be left behind. These upgrades take a lot of preplanning, and praying. Looks like Dan Clark did both of those great.

Nice job Dan.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-15-2008, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Great Job Dan!

Ah! The joy of those first successful posts after an upgrade. What a treat!

Good to be back. How's the jonesing, Eiji?
Old 09-15-2008, 06:32 PM

Nice job Dan!

I always breathe a sigh of relief when I do a major upgrade to one of my systems and it still works :-)

Fred
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-15-2008, 07:09 PM

Yea, great job. wa hopen???
Old 09-15-2008, 08:14 PM
Founding Member

Gents,

Thanks for the compliments.

This upgrade was a combination of upgrading from 3.7.2 to 3.7.3 and applying Security Patch 1. In general, the overall upgrade was a security and bug fix upgrade. The changes were:
  • Removing a fairly serious hole - It no longer allows users to have their user name and password be the same. Five users had this issue and were notified to choose a new password.
  • Other security and bug fixes - You'll probably never see these changes, but occasionally you might notice some minor feature works as expected instead of being an "idiosyncrasy".
Here is a complete list of the 82 changes: vBulletin Community Forum

As Steve pointed out, upgrades take a fair amount of planning. The key problem with upgrades is not the difficulty of upgrading - there were a few hassles, but it wasn't bad. The big issue is prepping for the off chance that something goes bang in the night.

Another stomach churner was that this was the first version upgrade. The next will be much easier because we know what to expect.

Turning off the forum was necessary to ensure that the database and files were stable. Ned took turned off the nightly backups and then took a special backup. After the forum was turned off, I took an additional backup to ensure that we could recover in case the worst happened.

Overall the upgrade went smoothly except for some unexpected changes necessary to restore our unbranded version. Our forum is licensed such that that we don't have to display the "Powered by vBulletin" message. It took about an hour of tedious work to edit the files. Not a big deal; just a hassle.

After the upgrade, there was some final cleanup and documentation, and Ned turned the nightly backups back on.

Hopefully upgrades will go as smoothly in the future.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:22 PM

Like I said.