talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2008, 07:59 PM

Default Hurricane insanity

Folks,

I have done some really incredibly stupid things in the career of life.
Non that are pertinent here.
Now, I know, part of being a American is the right of self determination.
But Gawn dang man, when the Gubbiment sez.....
Folks, if you don't leave you are gonna die.
You would think that would be time to go, right?
Stubborn or stupid, as a species ain't we suppose to have instinctual
self preservation?
Then why the heck are there still a estimated 15,000 people still on
Galveston Island?
Heraldo is there, maybe its a cult thing.

Per
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-12-2008, 08:13 PM

Default Re: Hurricane insanity

I guess those 15000 are so enamored by statistics that they want to become part of one.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-12-2008, 08:31 PM
Super Moderator

Seems to me that this goes back to the Revolution: No, I won't do what you say! It's buried so deep in the American subconscious that you don't recognize that the rest of the world doesn't necessarily play the same way.

One of my favourite Canadian jokes:

How do you get 10 Canadians out of a swimming pool?

Say, "All right. Everyone out of the pool!"

Try getting people off a hurricane-doomed sandbar in Texas. Nuh unh. Ain't gonna happen. It's my sandbar, and I'll die here rather than leave!
Old 09-12-2008, 09:35 PM

Living near the southeast coastline, I've been watching hurricanes for 30 years now. I mean watching the numbers, NHC (Nat. Hurricane Center) discussions, buoy data, etc.

I can tell you that the last 3 years, the numbers have been fudged to make the hurricanes sound stranger than they are. Hurricane Ike seems to be an exception with the numbers actually corresponding but the NHC keeps saying it is going to strengthen with no data supporting that position, only a "hunch".

Keep in mind, most of these wind speeds are measured at higher altitudes where trees and obstructions are not dampening the winds. Also, most newer buildings in the south are built to newer codes and should with stand 100 mph winds. The winds die rapidly after a hurricane makes landfall.

Me personally, I would leave town with any hurricane threatening my area with over 80 mph winds. Others tell me it has to be over 100 mph.

Many of these people have seen several hurricanes and know what to expect of the buildings and their own neighborhoods. Others need to stay to due to the nature of their jobs (the employers will put them in a secure building).

Once you have evacuated, look at how hard Uncle Sam makes it to get back. You are concerned about your house and belongings but the government keeps you locked out for days (and up to a week) after the storm has left. Most of these people are stuck in hotels paying daily rates and eating out. That adds up real quick for any family. And hurricanes don't come when your finances are in good order.

Yes, there are some real idiots that will stick it out with no idea what they are getting into, but it is a very small percentage. And with a hurricane, you can't decide half way through that you can't stand it and want to leave. You are stuck with that decision once it's made.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwas View Post

Many of these people have seen several hurricanes and know what to expect of the buildings and their own neighborhoods.

That's a lot like those of us in earthquake country.

Only we don't get any advance warning.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwas View Post
Living near the southeast coastline, I've been watching hurricanes for 30 years now. I mean watching the numbers, NHC (Nat. Hurricane Center) discussions, buoy data, etc.........
Thanks for offering the voice of experience, you may not know squat about Festools but you know hurricanes. All joking a side, it's always nice to hear the other side of the argument.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Super Moderator

I agree with Brice, Steve - a well-reasoned and well-presented argument. Based on experience. Seems I'll have to take back my gross overgeneralization of the American ethos, and issue a general apology to those I've offended. Especially since you're paying my salary. I promise to do extra oceanography to make up for my gaffe.

Might even drink a Budweiser.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I

Might even drink a Budweiser.
Well Poto.... You might have to drink that Budweiser pretty fast if you want it to be an all-american beer...Looks like it will become a Belgium-USA beer... Would it then be called "Belgican" beer???

Peztool
Old 09-12-2008, 11:29 PM

Send a message via AIM to BrockinFla

Hurricanes are all President Bush's fault.

LOL
Old 09-13-2008, 12:30 AM
Super Moderator

The ones in Florida are Jeb Bush's fault!

I was wondering about Budweiser. On the other hand, the Belgians have some pretty decent beer, so it might not be a bad thing...

They do have good TV commercials, though.