talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 08:00 PM
A Festool User First

Send a message via AIM to TimmyC Send a message via Yahoo to TimmyC Send a message via Skype™ to TimmyC
Default Re: Hurricane insanity

The fam has had very luck on the Gulf Coast with some rentals we own south of Tampa on a little island. The paths of several Hurricanes have been such that the gulf was either pushed out, or steered clear of that area.

Momma is from California, and will take an earthquake over a Tornado anytime. Lincoln has been spared on numerous occassions when there are major outbreaks proximal to the city. There is something about Lincoln geographic orientation that disallows Tornados in the city...not sure what that is...just know that there hasn't been a confirmed touchdown in many many years. We will get Micro-Bursts, but no rotations touching down.

The largest ever recorded Tornado was about 20 miles or so SW of Lincoln. Incredible devistation, with only one death...and that was a Heart attack, not due to the Tornado itself...ok...perhaps kind of...but you get the point.

Google Image Result for http://www.hprcc.unl.edu/nebraska/hallammap.jpg

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-13-2008, 09:09 PM
Super Moderator

Timmy - you can tell Momma that we do get tornadoes in California - they're just mostly out at sea. I've seen several waterspouts off the coast here. I don't think they ever come onto land. Probably the heat from the land dissipates their energy, or something.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:54 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I'm in Tornado alley for the past 27 years also, but I've only seen two and heard another one. The one I heard was the scary one. A storm hit at about midnight with so much lightening that it was an odd moment when it was dark. It hailed for over an hour and the tornado sirens went off. We did go to the basement and huddled in a corner between two deep freezes. The "freight train" was vibrating the house and was extremely loud. We went out later to find widespread damage around town, but it must have skipped over the whole little town we live in. It blew away several buildings at higher elevations and knocked down trees.

I'm also on the fire dept. here, and the joke is that when the sirens go off, everyone runs outside with their video cameras. Kinda like the folks that stayed for the hurricane...

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!