talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2008, 12:32 AM

Default Re: Hurricane insanity

That's kinda like saying. well, I drive a truck, I got hit by a car as a kid,

my best freind was hit by a bus and you could never tell.

But no, now that you ask, I haven't actually been hit head on with a truck, they usually veer out of my way.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-13-2008, 12:36 AM
Super Moderator

Wow, Per. You must have some truck to have gotten that far off the Jersey Turnpike to take that picture!
Old 09-13-2008, 12:38 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Might even drink a Budweiser.
Budweiser?!? How about a nice Washington State micro-brew? Ya know, something like real beer!

Dan.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

I was trying to be all-American, Dan. Given my inability to understand the "average" American (who voted for Bush. Twice.) I figure that the vast quantities of Bud claimed to be drunk every year suggest that it must be the beer of the average American. You, I'm afraid, are a liberal tree hugging micro-brew drinking latte sipping elite American. And according to Newt Gingrich I'm not allowed to admire you.

P.S. I have no idea if you hug trees or drink lattes. You do have expensive taste in tools and vacuum cleaners

P.P.S. I am pretty much all of the above, except American. But I guess that'll come, too...

P.P.P.S Even in my apologies I'm insulting. Somebody turn me off!
Old 09-13-2008, 01:59 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
You, I'm afraid, are a liberal tree hugging micro-brew drinking latte sipping elite American. And according to Newt Gingrich I'm not allowed to admire you.
Potosan,

I resemble that remark! I've been known to sip a micro-brew and latte occasionally. "Elite"? Nah... Just because I use Festool tools, buy $1,000 vacuums, drive a German car, and live in a house surrounded by LOTS of trees... Uh... Uhmm... OK, maybe a little.

Actually, I'm staunch DemoPublican. And, I'm going to vote the straight DemoPublican ticket!!! Barack O'Palin all the way!

Dan.
Old 09-13-2008, 02:06 AM
Super Moderator

I think you and TimmyC and I should get together and form a "short people's" ticket. Here's to putting your feet flat on the floor when you sit in a chair! Here's to being able to knead bread on a countertop. Here's to being able to reach into cabinets. Here's to standard shift cars that we can actually push the clutch all the way in without having to slide under the steering wheel!

Mike Dukakis. He's our man!
Old 09-13-2008, 02:07 AM
Super Moderator

P.S. Sorry Per. I do have a knack of hijacking your posts...
Old 09-13-2008, 03:25 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
The ones in Florida are Jeb Bush's fault!

I was wondering about Budweiser. On the other hand, the Belgians have some pretty decent beer, so it might not be a bad thing...

They do have good TV commercials, though.
My first job in the commercial world was making props and models for a series of animated Budweiser commercials, "Long necks to go" in 1986. We had long necks riding the subway, boarding a plane, sailing in a boat, etc.

My childhood was spent in Tornado Ally. We regularly rehearsed huddling in the strongest part of the house but never suffered any harm from a close encounter. When we moved to the east coast of Florida we had to start watching out for hurricanes. One day while I was in school my mother noticed the sky suddenly grow suspiciously dark. She turned on the radio just in time to hear the announcer laughingly say the National Weather Service had sent out a tornado warning for the area. He reminded the listeners that we lived in an area at risk for hurricanes not tornadoes. In less than ten minutes a tornado took down the station's antennae. It continued through our neighborhood ripping roofs off the house behind us and in front of us but skipped over our home. We lived in that area for another six years and never had trouble from a hurricane.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-13-2008, 03:32 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post
Potosan,

I resemble that remark! I've been known to sip a micro-brew and latte occasionally. "Elite"? Nah... Just because I use Festool tools, buy $1,000 vacuums, drive a German car, and live in a house surrounded by LOTS of trees... Uh... Uhmm... OK, maybe a little.

Actually, I'm staunch DemoPublican. And, I'm going to vote the straight DemoPublican ticket!!! Barack O'Palin all the way!

Dan.
Now we know where the person who designed the Broward County ballets in 2000 went to work.
Old 09-13-2008, 03:46 AM

Scary stuff Michael

I have witnessed tornados on two separate occasions much to close for comfort. Both in OH.

As a teenager I was working in the upper hay field the sky turns black, silence falls, very erie then over the ridge preceded by a loud rumble or groan kind of like a freight train coming a funnel cloud appears.

We were out in the middle of a hay field of close to 15 acr's, no where to go so we got under the hay wagon & waited. The Tornado passed by us about 600 yards away. Scared the --- out of us but no injuries.

About 12 years ago I was in my basement work shop one Sat. afternoon. the weather had been bad all day. We had a severe thunder storm, it quieted somewhat then began to hale. Something made me look out of the french doors leading to the deck just in time to see a funnel cloud pass over the small valley in my back yard. It never actually touched down but it cleaned the BBQ and wood patio furniture right off my deck.

Afterwards, I went out side to take a look and all the trees were snapped / twisted off about 25-30 ft high. It later touched down about a mile away and took out one house before disappearing as suddenly as it appeared.

I live in the mountains in PA now, no tornados but plenty of ice & snow

Scott W.