talkFestool

talkFestool (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/)
-   Woodworkers Cafe (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/woodworkers-cafe/)
-   -   Illness, Allergies, and HEPA Vacs (http://www.talkfestool.com/vb/woodworkers-cafe/900-illness-allergies-hepa-vacs.html)

DanClark 09-10-2008 02:10 PM

Illness, Allergies, and HEPA Vacs

Hi. You probably noticed that I haven't been posting much lately. Unfotunately, I have some sort of head and chest miseries. I went to a Doc yesterday. He can't find any infection, so...

I think it's a bad allergic reaction brought on by breathing construction dust, and especially thinset and tile dust from my Master Bathroom Remodel. It got bad about two weeks ago when I started laying the heat mat, then Ditra (an uncoupling layer) and the tile. Each layer required multiple mixings of thinset. I was fairly careful not to breath it while mixing, but I think it might be an accumulation of the stuff.

We're cleaning the house carefully and replacing filters. I'm thinking of getting HEPA vac to use in the house and especially the rugs. I could get a CT Mini or Midi, but I don't think they aren't HEPA. A CT22 is HEPA, but bigger and more cumbersome. A Dyson is another possibility.

What do you folks think? Festool vac? Which one? Are HEPA filters available for the Midi or Mini? What do you think of the Dyson?

Thanks,

Dan.

ChrisM 09-10-2008 02:22 PM

Re: Illness, Allergies, and HEPA Vacs

Dan get a Miele Vac. Have you changed your HVAC returns to Aprilaire's or equivalent? During construction you should always be running the fan on your HVAC unit (if you've got one, they only use abou 40 watts of elect.) to keep cleaning the air for you. You should also change the filter every couple of weeks. Hope you get better very quickly.

MichaelKellough 09-10-2008 02:42 PM

I second everything Chris said.
Thanks for the warning about mixing powdered materials.

BrockinFla 09-10-2008 02:44 PM

Dan,

I have the DC-14 Animal by Dyson. Its probably the best vacuum out there in the price range, but I am not 100% certain it is HEPA compliant. It will suck a chinaman up through your carpet from the other side of the planet, but I do not think the vacuums return air is 100% clean. Its close but if we are splitting hairs here its probably not at the top of the list.

If you are looking for carpet cleaning performance the Dyson is your choice. If you are looking for air quality, them look at the Miele. They are $1200+ but they are probably the best out there as far as what they put back into the air after cleaning your carpets. Miele are also canister type vacuums so if you are ok with that then you are good, for me I cant stand dragging a canister vac around like a retarded dog. The Miele you are also buying bags. At least with the Dyson you are bag free.

colinwhite 09-10-2008 02:53 PM

Dan,
We had a Dyson animal too, but after a couple of years the foam seals started leaking, I wrote off to Dyson and they sent us a new set but air still escapes from there .....I have only heard good things about Miele vac's

TomBellemare 09-10-2008 02:56 PM

Dan:

'Sorry to hear of your ailments.

I have a customer who was having similar distress while sanding, especially mdf. She was using a Festool Finishing Sander, the DTS 400, and a traditional DC (I think it was an old PC). Her sander was also a little hard to control becuase the suction was not adjustable.

She switched to a Festool Dust Extractor/Vacuum, the CT 22, and it solved both of her problems.

I remodeled a bathroom at our house a few years ago with a jacuzzi and marble. I don't have any allergies and I had to be careful mixing thinset. I feel for you...

CharlesWilson 09-10-2008 03:00 PM

In addition, consider one of the 3M respirators. McFeelys carries them. I have also seen them at Home Depot (but not with all of the filter options in stock).

They are not too uncomfortable, and they certainly do the job.

NedYoung 09-10-2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlesWilson (Post 8183)
In addition, consider one of the 3M respirators. McFeelys carries them. I have also seen them at Home Depot (but not with all of the filter options in stock).

They are not too uncomfortable, and they certainly do the job.

Agree. Even for "nuisance dusts", getting a respirator with replaceable filters, and most of all an exhaust valve, can make a huge difference.

Every user will be more comfortable with a good respirator, and it's an even bigger improvement for eyeglass wearers.

joraft 09-10-2008 03:28 PM

Dan, I can recommend the Miele also. We got one about 18 months ago, and we love it.

The most noticeable thing about it is there is never any dust on or around the machine. When opened to change the bag, the inside of the machine is absolutely dust free. The sealing system and HEPA filtering is amazing.

And it is so quiet, I have check sometimes to see if it is running, yet great suction.

Just like with Festool, great German engineering, with a price to match.

ericbuggeln 09-10-2008 03:35 PM

Dan, hope you get better. A 3M respirator can be bought at any paint store I have ever seen and theres basically one model that everyone uses. I wanna say they are like $35.00. It sounds like an accumulation of things are causing your problems with all that you have going on and a respirator would help it from getting worse, Eric