Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2008, 12:44 AM
Founding Member

Default Re: Illness, Allergies, and HEPA Vacs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
We have only one floor, and it's on concrete. Surprisingly not flat - they had some serious leveling to do before laying the wood floor.
Poto,

Actually, I'm not surprised. Good concrete work is like anything else. It requires skill, knowledge and experience. These days, it's difficult find really good people. (It's been difficult for me anyway.)

Regards,

Dan.
Old 09-12-2008, 01:09 AM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I have to say that back in the bad old days (before remodel) when we had carpet, I thought that the most suction was the best. I got a fairly expensive and highly rated upright with masses of suction (don't know how much). It was a pain. It was so powerful that it was dangerous! It would eat the edges of carpets, and probably was sucking the underlayment through the carpet!

I'm so glad to have wood floors now. They really show the dog hairs. But when I saw what was under those carpets... Yuck!
Another nice thing about smooth floors is that you don't need high suction to get the debris moving. With many Mieles you can turn the speed down to an even quieter level.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-12-2008, 09:28 PM
Founding Member

Default I bought a Miele!!!

I just got off the phone with Matt at Witbeck Vacuums. I got a Miele Gemini with both powerheads, a dusting brush, and 5 boxes (25 bags) of the GN dust bags. And, he's shipping it today via next day air. Hopefully I'll have it tomorrow!

Please accept my sincere gratitude for the great feedback!!!! My nose thanks you too!

Regards,

Dan.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:33 PM
Administrator

Default Re: I bought a Miele!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post

... I got a Miele Gemini with both powerheads, a dusting brush, and 5 boxes (25 bags) of the GN dust bags.
Congratulations, Dan!

I'm sure you'll be happy with that setup, and so will your nose.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Founding Member

Default Miele Gemini - Quick Review

Hi. I got my Gemini today! First, many thanks for all you folks who helped me spend my money! Second, this is a quick review with pics.

Overall, I am EXTREMELY pleased with it. My expectations were very high and and the Miele Gemini exceeded them!!!

Here's a pic of the little bugger with accessories and convenient 25-pack of bags (about 1 year's worth). It's difficult to tell in this pic how small it is:

This is a closeup of the vac sitting on my stairs. Take a look at the small gaps in the casing. I probably opened and closed the case to get at the attachments about 20 times. It snaps back to the same position with a precise, satisfying "click". Overall it it VERY well built.

This pic is a better shot of the outside accessories - the wide and narrow power heads, the hardwood floor head, the dusting brush, and the little tube gizmo:

I call it a "little tube gizmo" because I don't have a clue what it's for. Here's a better shot. Anyone know what this is for:

This last pic shows the handle and tube. The handle is very comfortable to use. There is a swivel at the top. When combined with the swivel in the power heads and hardwood floor head, these heads are VERY easy to maneuver. It's almost like power steering. When you twist the handle, the head turns in that direction. IMO, this makes if MUCH faster to use than the traditional heads I'm used to.

So how well does it work? Well, it sucks... In the best possible way! Even though the noise level is very low, the suction is extremely powerful. For normal use on rugs, I'd probably turn the suction down to about level 4. This picks up the dirt very well and the head moves very easily.

I wanted to try it out, so I vacuumed the living room rug. And then the dining room. I thought, "What the heck. Let's do the kitchen... And then the family room, hall, powder room. And then the stairs, and the three bedrooms, and associated closets. And then the bed spreads and decorative pillows. Then I headed down to the exercise room where I dusted vents and places that hadn't been dusted in months (years?). Then on to the wine rack under the stairs (nasty, dusty bottles of wine). And those stairs too! And I nailed several spider webs (and associated arachnids) just for good measure. It was very enjoyable using something this quiet and well built, and worked this well!!!

Many people think Festool owners are nuts to spend a lot of money on tools. The quality of Festool tools is worth it to many of us. To me, the Miele is the Festool of vacuum cleaners.

Ah... What about my allergies? Well after running around for an hour (that's all it took) vacuuming the heck out of everything, I had nary a sneeze or cough. Coincidence? Maybe. Maybe not...

Many, many, many thanks for educating me about this wonderful tool!

Regards,

Dan.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:09 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Miele Gemini - Quick Review

Quote:

I call it a "little tube gizmo" because I don't have a clue what it's for. Here's a better shot. Anyone know what this is for?

... Many people think Festool owners are nuts to spend a lot of money on tools. The quality of Festool tools is worth it to many of us. To me, the Miele is the Festool of vacuum cleaners.

Dan, I have no idea what the little tube gizmo is, I didn't get one.

I purchased my Miele a while before I had even heard of Festool. Then one day while in a hardwood store I wandered over to a new display they had just setup. I picked up a couple of these black and green tools with an odd name, and said to the saleman: "These are built like a Miele!". He had no idea what I was talking about.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:44 AM
Super Moderator

I'm glad you like it so much, Dan. The Gemini looks just like my Antares, though the Antares is a cool red color. The attachments are different, though, and probably the guts are, too. It's amazingly maneuverable, isn't it? I love the wheel design - little wheels inside swivel wheels. And the housing won't leave a mark on your white trim, either.

And isn't it quiet? Amazing. You should try their dishwashers!
Old 09-16-2008, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Many people think Festool owners are nuts to spend a lot of money on tools. The quality of Festool tools is worth it to many of us. To me, the Miele is the Festool of vacuum cleaners.

Dan.
Next thing you know you'll be shopping for a Mac.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-16-2008, 01:19 AM
Super Moderator

I have to agree - it seems only logical...
Old 09-16-2008, 01:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
I purchased my Miele a while before I had even heard of Festool.
Come to think of it Miele was my introduction to German tools. Nearly 30 years ago I was fed up with vacs that were noisy and died in a few years (or less). Before buying the Miele vac I thought German tools where no better than American, they just cost more. The Miele vac opened my mind. I bought a Bosch jig saw (okay it's made in Switzerland) and it really was better. Then a WAP shop vac (even quieter than Fein), Elu router and belt sander, Bosch sanders, drills and SCMS etc. So I was primed for the arrival of Festool and it started with the Miele vac, which I still have and use regularly.