talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008, 11:10 PM

Default Re: Illness, Allergies, and HEPA Vacs

Miele Canister Vacuum are far much more versatile and perform better than any upright on the market.

If you can wait a month or so Miele will be coming out with an upright that will blow(orsuck) anything currently available on the market. It is truly a revolutionary piece with minimal compromises to the canister vac.

My wife was never a canister vac user and was reluctant too. Once she used a canister she never felt the same about uprights.

I guess the middle of the rode is an upright canister Hepa vacuum which Miele currently has available it's call the Mini Giant. S160 Series Stick Vacuums Model: S168 ™
You can connect a 217 or 236 power head to this unit. I use this vacuum a ton with a 217 head and it's great!.

Victor

Last edited by vteknical; 09-11-2008 at 11:13 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

I have had two rather expensive uprights, and over the years several canister vacs. I'll never get another upright. First you have to move the whole machine as you're vacuuming. A lot more work. Second, my qualitative opinion is that they don't work as well, and they're certainly not as maneuverable. The Mieles are extremely light - much lighter than an upright - and you only move the hose and attachment around. Much easier to get up and down stairs, much better for vacuuming the ceiling (yes, I vacuum my ceiling!). I'll never get an upright again - not even a Dyson...

And the Miele is so quiet!
Old 09-11-2008, 11:18 PM
Founding Member

I've used an upright for doing stairs. It requires that you are 1) reasonably strong and 2) fairly short. I qualify in both areas.

We have a small "Shark" hand-held that we use for stairs. It's OK, but very noisy and doesn't do a particularly great job. I really like John's idea for doing the stairs:
Quote:
Second, there's cleaning the stairs themselves. My stairs are carpeted on both the face and the treads. And the smaller power head connected directly to the handle (no wand extensions) fits perfectly on these surfaces, as well as being very maneuverable. My wife alway comments about the carpeting on the stairs looking new when I get done vacuuming. I can't imagine trying to wrestle with an upright to do the same thing.
The only reason that this would work is that the Miele has an internal power connector. I can't imagine this being feasible with another vac. I'm going to try it with the big powerhead. If it works better with the smaller powerhead, that alone would be a good reason to buy it. Great idea John!

Thanks,

Dan.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:35 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vteknical View Post
Miele Canister Vacuum are far much more versatile and perform better than any upright on the market.

If you can wait a month or so Miele will be coming out with an upright that will blow(orsuck) anything currently available on the market. It is truly a revolutionary piece with minimal compromises to the canister vac.

My wife was never a canister vac user and was reluctant too. Once she used a canister she never felt the same about uprights.

I guess the middle of the rode is an upright canister Hepa vacuum which Miele currently has available it's call the Mini Giant. S160 Series Stick Vacuums Model: S168 ™
You can connect a 217 or 236 power head to this unit. I use this vacuum a ton with a 217 head and it's great!.

Victor
Victor,

You are making this VERY tough! Oh, noooo... What to do? What to do?!?

Regarding the S168, it looks very nice (and light), but the CFM is only 96. The canisters are 141! That'll suck the paint off the walls! And... If you'll having problems training your doggie, just flip on the vac, point it at the him, and say "Come!"

And on that note...

Regards,

Dan.

P.s. we have to make sure that Ned doesn't hear about the Miele canister. If he flips it on around Pico, she'd be history.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:43 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I have had two rather expensive uprights, and over the years several canister vacs. I'll never get another upright. First you have to move the whole machine as you're vacuuming. A lot more work. Second, my qualitative opinion is that they don't work as well, and they're certainly not as maneuverable. The Mieles are extremely light - much lighter than an upright - and you only move the hose and attachment around. Much easier to get up and down stairs, much better for vacuuming the ceiling (yes, I vacuum my ceiling!). I'll never get an upright again - not even a Dyson...

And the Miele is so quiet!
Potosan,

My thinking exactly. I suspect that Chris (our cleaning lady) and Marianne (the boss) are thinking old school. I had a Panasonic. It sucked metaphorically but not literally.

Speaking of vacuuming the ceiling, there are many places that have not been vacuumed including the carpeted underside of the stairs and around the lower level vents. In the exercise room on the first floor, the outlet vent is almost at the ceiling. It's never been vacuumed up there and it's filthy!

One other hopeful benefit... My Poodlers HATE the vacuum. Lucy starts howling and Sammy tries to bite it. Hopefully they will accept the Miele.

Thanks,

Dan.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:46 PM
Super Moderator

I have to say that back in the bad old days (before remodel) when we had carpet, I thought that the most suction was the best. I got a fairly expensive and highly rated upright with masses of suction (don't know how much). It was a pain. It was so powerful that it was dangerous! It would eat the edges of carpets, and probably was sucking the underlayment through the carpet!

I'm so glad to have wood floors now. They really show the dog hairs. But when I saw what was under those carpets... Yuck!
Old 09-11-2008, 11:48 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post

You are making this VERY tough!

Great video, Dan!

As for that tough decision, just do what I do when I can't decide, get 'em ALL.
Old 09-11-2008, 11:58 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I have to say that back in the bad old days (before remodel) when we had carpet, I thought that the most suction was the best. I got a fairly expensive and highly rated upright with masses of suction (don't know how much). It was a pain. It was so powerful that it was dangerous! It would eat the edges of carpets, and probably was sucking the underlayment through the carpet!

I'm so glad to have wood floors now. They really show the dog hairs. But when I saw what was under those carpets... Yuck!
Poto,

That's another thing I like about the Miele, it has adjustable suction and the power head can be turned off from the handle.

Regarding wood floors... My wife wants wood floors. I'd like them too. The problem is that the subfloor in the entire hose is particle board! We have tile in the entry that has two big cracks across the entire entry. The only part of the house that is nice and stable is where current wood floors are.

To add to the grief, most of floors are bouncy. I'd have to replace all the subfloor in the living room, dining room, the upper hall, and all three bedrooms. And many of the joists would need to be sistered for stiffness. I can't imagine what the expense would be! (I'm a masochist, but I can't imagine doing it myself!)

Regards,

Dan.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:00 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
As for that tough decision, just do what I do when I can't decide, get 'em ALL.
John,

I'm coming to that conclusion! Oh well, it's only money.

Dan.
Old 09-12-2008, 12:12 AM
Super Moderator

At the very least, get one for each floor of the house!

Too bad about the bouncy joists. We have only one floor, and it's on concrete. Surprisingly not flat - they had some serious leveling to do before laying the wood floor.