talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008, 07:20 PM
Founding Member

Default Miele, Sebo, and Dyson Suction Comparison

Since our cleaning lady doesn't like canisters, I decided to try to keep an open mind and compare the suction power of the Miele canister vs a Sebo Upright HEPA vs a Dyson upright.

Miele CFM vs a Sebo HEPA vac:

Miele = 141. Sebo = 103. (NOT good)

Miele (metric) vs Dyson (metric):

Notice I send "metric". The issue with Dyson is that they use something called Air Watts, but there is no mention of CFM anywhere that I can find. This article: Understanding Vacuum Cleaner Specifications indicates the Air Watts is not really a useful spec and that CFM is the what you need to use. So, I'm left with trying to get a valid comparison.

The definition of Air watts is:
Quote:
Air Flow (in CFM) x Vacuum (in inches of water lift))/8.5
From searches, it looks like a Miele has about 111 inches of water lift. Taking the Callisto's 141 CFM, that means that:

Miele Air Watts = (141 x 111)/8.5
Miele Air Watts = 1,841

Dyson Air Watts = 220.

Unless the Dyson is woefully underpowered, this doesn't make sense. Overall, I'm not inclined to believe these numbers. Since Dyson doesn't use the industry standard CFM, I'm inclined to disregard the Dyson's numbers as being marketing hyperbolie. To me, this is a massive red flag. And this means I'm throwing the Dyson off my list regardless of recommendations. (Sorry.)

So, unless I can find an upright that 1) is HEPA and 2) has better specs than a Miele canister, I'm back to a Miele canister.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:21 PM
Founding Member

Default Our cleaning lady doesn't like canisters. Why?

I sent an email off to our cleaning lady to see what she thought. Since she's very good and has been cleaning the house regularly for ten years, I wanted to get her impressions. Here's her response:
Quote:
Dan, I have no plusses on canister vacs. They are cumbersome and hard to use. However, if that is your only option then I would adjust.
I used to have a Panasonic and thought it was a bit of a hassle, but not major. Any idea why she feels this way? Any tips on helping an upright user get used to a Miele?

Thanks,

Dan.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Our cleaning lady doesn't like canisters. Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post

... Any idea why she feels this way? Any tips on helping an upright user get used to a Miele?

Wow, Dan, and I thought I did a lot of research before buying a vacuum.

The best tip I can give you is to have her use it for a day.

My wife let me do the research and make the purchase of our vac, but her one request was that I NOT get a cannister. Imagine her surprise (read aggravation) when I came home with an cannister model, and such an expensive one at that. But one day was all it took to win her over.

What she likes best are the light weight, low noise, and absolute dust free cleaning. And she was a very solid upright fan before.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:30 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Wow, Dan, and I thought I did a lot of research before buying a vacuum.

The best tip I can give you is to have her use it for a day.

My wife let me do the research and make the purchase of our vac, but her one request was that I NOT get a cannister. Imagine her surprise (read aggravation) when I came home with an cannister model, and such an expensive one at that. But one day was all it took to win her over.

What she likes best are the light weight, low noise, and absolute dust free cleaning. And she was a very solid upright fan before.
John,

Did I tell you my middle is "Anal Retentive"?

I'm over analyzing this for several several reasons, two of which are related to the opposite sex. They are both tough birds. My wife's first reaction was, "You want to do WHAT?!?" As you can see from my cleaning lady's comment, she was less than enthusiastic. I was a little concerned because she always used an upright.

I like your idea of letting them try it out.

Thanks,

Dan.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:49 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: Illness, Allergies, and HEPA Vacs

Uprights are better on carpet. For all else canister is better.

But here I'm reminded that many WWers scorn belt sanders because they've never used one with a sanding frame. I'll bet that most of the people that don't like canister vacs haven't used a Meile enough to realize it's superiority.

Do you have stairs?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
Do you have stairs?
Three flights. That's one of the issues.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post

Uprights are better on carpet. For all else canister is better.

In my experience, the Miele power head does a superior job on our carpet when compared to our previous Royal upright.

As I understand it, it is the suction that lifts the carpet pile, the brush loosens the dust, lint, and hair, and the suction draws it away. Since the suction and beating power of the Miele power heads are second to none, it is hard to imagine any upright that could out perform it.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:

I'm over analyzing this for several several reasons, two of which are related to the opposite sex. They are both tough birds.

Fortunately, I don't have this problem. In my house, what I say is the final word.

Except of course when my wife is home.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:

Three flights. That's one of the issues.

Stairs can be an issue for two reasons.

First, there's having to carry the machine up and down. And it's hard to imagine any upright being much easier to manage than a lightweight cannister and hose.

Second, there's cleaning the stairs themselves. My stairs are carpeted on both the face and the treads. And the smaller power head connected directly to the handle (no wand extensions) fits perfectly on these surfaces, as well as being very maneuverable. My wife alway comments about the carpeting on the stairs looking new when I get done vacuuming. I can't imagine trying to wrestle with an upright to do the same thing.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:43 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

I'm sold!

I don't have carpet so I've never used a Meile powerhead. Should have assumed it would be better than an upright in that use too.
Even when stairs are carpeted it seems crazy to try to use an upright.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!