talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2008, 01:38 AM

Default Re: Illness, Allergies, and HEPA Vacs

Dan,

I can't add to the vacuum reviews although I have a pair of CT22's for work (one rides in the back of my truck) & one with an boom arm for the shop.

However I have fought sinus/dust problems for years; I went from sanders without dust pickups, to PC sanders w/dust pickups & a Fein vacuum, finally to 10 Festool sanders, Festool plunge saw, routers & CT22's for the portable gear. In the shop I've had 2 stage vacuums with bag filters for decades on all the stationary tools but I will over the winter be upgrading to a cyclone & paper filter. I also use ceiling mounted air filtration to catch more of the fine stuff... And I have run thru grosses of masks, various respirators literally buying spin on respirator cartridges the case.

I still had problems... for example years back I was finish sanding some black walnut bowls on the lathe. I had a vacuum sucking directly on the work, the ceiling filtration on & I was wearing a paper mask... I nearly died with a sinus infection.

I was getting to the point even the heavy duty antibiotics where not touching it when an infection flared up..... The really scary thing is if the sinus infection jumps the blood brain barrier... YOUR DEAD!!!! I had been to multiple doctors (Mayo Clinic , plus Ear Nose & Throat), & multiple times to my dentist. I suspected an upper molar but the dentist & oral surgeon kept saying the X-rays looked "OK" that's when I went to the EMT & had a Cat scan but she also said it was "OK". I got to the point I could live like this anymore... I demand to have the molar pulled!!! Sure enough there was a crack in the root that did not show up!!! My body had been fighting an infection 24 hours a day for years... so when I got into anything dusty it went ballistic!!! I have since been reminded many times that bad teeth were the leading to brain infections was one of the leading causes of death of our ancestors. Since the removal of the molar I've virtually had zero problems and it was like getting a new lease on life!!!

The one tool that did work in dusty situations even before I pulled the molar was a positive flow respirator. With this I am drawing filtered air from 40 away. I am currently using it with a 1/2 mast, but it support 2 full masts, or paint hoods, or sand blasting hoods.

And one device that gave sinus relief was a netti pot. This is a couple thousand year old method from I believe India where you flush the sinuses with warm salt water. Do a google on netti pot & you should find info on these.

Dan I hope your feeling better soon!!!
jim
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-11-2008, 02:50 AM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Dan, I bought my Miele from a small local shop that carried only a few high end brands. This guy acted very much like a (good) Festool dealer. He spent at least an hour with me, going over and demonstrating every model, and explaining the advantages and disadvantages of each.

I had absolutely no doubt that I had made all the right choices in my purchase when I left the store. But when I got home, my wife looked at the small machine (and the bill) and thought I was nuts. She didn't care much for our heavy Royal, but she didn't think the Miele could replace it. It only took one day for her to change her mind. She loves that machine more than I do (although I still get stuck with most of the floor duty ).
John, my dealer wasn't quite that good, but he (and she) was very good. Part of the difference was that I was pretty much sold on Miele when I walked in. The other brands had a several limitations. My goal for going to the store was to confirm what I read here and other places. Besides confirming everything I read, I found that it was quieter than expected! I'm happy.

Reliability and HEPA are BIG issues with me. I want it to be boring just like my Festools - it works right out of the box and keeps on working. And, above all, it should help my allergies - suck the dust well and no exhaust particles. If it doesn't do that, I've wasted the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okami View Post
Hope You get well soon Dan
A mask should always be worn in a dusty environment. I spend half my life around wood dust...I wear a mask as much as possible.
Cheers!
Okami
Okamisan, I agree completely. The only issue is that some of the dust that I've been breathing (drywall and thinset) may be worse then wood dust. Going forward, I'm using a dust mask if the room is even dusty, regardless of the dust that I add.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDailey View Post
The one tool that did work in dusty situations even before I pulled the molar was a positive flow respirator. With this I am drawing filtered air from 40 away. I am currently using it with a 1/2 mast, but it support 2 full masts, or paint hoods, or sand blasting hoods.

And one device that gave sinus relief was a netti pot. This is a couple thousand year old method from I believe India where you flush the sinuses with warm salt water. Do a google on netti pot & you should find info on these.

Dan I hope your feeling better soon!!!
jim
Jim, I don't think (and hope) that I have your problem. (Who knows?) However, I've been using a saline spray to good effect for the last several months. It's done a good job of reducing the impact on my sinuses.

Everything was rolling along as per normal until I started having some serious chest and nasal congestion about two weeks ago. The worst of my problems started at almost the exact same time that I started the heavy tiling sessions. (I don't like coincidences.) I think it's related to the dust.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. It's something for me to keep an eye on.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:42 AM

Hey Dan

Sorry to hear about your woes and hope you start to feel better soon. I find that I too get sick cutting MDF, sweeping a really dusty concrete floor and it can go on for weeks.

The Mini and Midi are not HEPA rated but almost there and I believe with a bit of a cake on the filters they most likely would qualify as HEPA rated.

The CT-22 is what we have been using in the house and my wife commented today on how much better it works then her friends vac however it is a heavy cumbersome vac to carry in and out of the house.

When I order the KAPEX I purchased a Midi and it does seem to be a better size for portability however like I mentioned it isn't quite HEPA rated.

Never tried Dyson or Miele

Take Care of yourself
Dan Clermont
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-11-2008, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDailey View Post
I have since been reminded many times that bad teeth were the leading to brain infections was one of the leading causes of death of our ancestors. Since the removal of the molar I've virtually had zero problems and it was like getting a new lease on life!!!
Over 20 years ago, I had sinus surgery, and the results were less than spectacular. A year or two later, my wisdom teeth were removed, after which my sinuses finally stopped giving me constant problems! There definitely is a connection there.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:31 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post

... Reliability and HEPA are BIG issues with me. I want it to be boring just like my Festools - it works right out of the box and keeps on working. And, above all, it should help my allergies - suck the dust well and no exhaust particles. If it doesn't do that, I've wasted the money.

Dan, I've had only one issue with my Miele.

We have two Shetland Sheep Dogs and they have pretty long hair (and a lot of it). The Miele does a great job of picking it all up, but on the 236 power head some hair will wrap itself around the drive sprocket for the brush. As the belt starts slipping it will make a loud noise. It took me a while to locate the problem the first time, but I'm now pretty fast at removing the cover, taking out the motor, and cleaning the sprockets. I've had to do it probably five times in eighteen months.

Is this a design defect? I don't know, I can't see any way in which an excessive amount of hair can be kept out of that area. On our Royal, the brush drive belt was larger and in the center of the brush, and without any teeth. The hair never caused any problem with the drive belt, but it did wrap itself around the bushings at each end, and every few months the brush roller would bind and slow down.

I guess the solution is to get rid of the dogs (or shave them).
Old 09-11-2008, 04:51 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Dan, I've had only one issue with my Miele.

We have two Shetland Sheep Dogs and they have pretty long hair (and a lot of it). The Miele does a great job of picking it all up, but on the 236 power head some hair will wrap itself around the drive sprocket for the brush. As the belt starts slipping it will make a loud noise. It took me a while to locate the problem the first time, but I'm now pretty fast at removing the cover, taking out the motor, and cleaning the sprockets. I've had to do it probably five times in eighteen months.

Is this a design defect? I don't know, I can't see any way in which an excessive amount of hair can be kept out of that area. On our Royal, the brush drive belt was larger and in the center of the brush, and without any teeth. The hair never caused any problem with the drive belt, but it did wrap itself around the bushings at each end, and every few months the brush roller would bind and slow down.

I guess the solution is to get rid of the dogs (or shave them).
John,

That sounds like it's a bit of a hassle, but not a major problem. Definitely not a deal killer for me.

Of course, having Poodles (who don't shed) tends to help a bit!

Regards,

Dan.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post

That sounds like it's a bit of a hassle, but not a major problem. Definitely not a deal killer for me.

Dan, this has only been a problem on the larger (236) power head.

The mid-sized (217) has had no problems. I haven't taken it apart, but from what I can see from the outside I think the brush is gear driven instead of with a belt, and that may be the difference.

Like I said before, the smaller head is perfect for stairs and other smaller areas, but when I tried it on our larger rooms it seemed like it took much longer to cover the area, even though the size difference isn't that great. That is why I decided to go with both power heads.

Another thing I bought was several extra wand extentions (non-wired). Some our ceilings are very high, and I can now remove spider webs up there without bringing in my 12 foot step ladder. A big time saver.
Old 09-11-2008, 06:05 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Dan, this has only been a problem on the larger (236) power head.

The mid-sized (217) has had no problems. I haven't taken it apart, but from what I can see from the outside I think the brush is gear driven instead of with a belt, and that may be the difference.

Like I said before, the smaller head is perfect for stairs and other smaller areas, but when I tried it on our larger rooms it seemed like it took much longer to cover the area, even though the size difference isn't that great. That is why I decided to go with both power heads.

Another thing I bought was several extra wand extentions (non-wired). Some our ceilings are very high, and I can now remove spider webs up there without bringing in my 12 foot step ladder. A big time saver.
John,

Hi. I'm hopeful that the larger head will be sufficient. Most of our carpeting is in open areas that should be accessible. We'll definitely want the bigger one. If need be, we'll get the smaller too.

Good point about the wand extensions and spiders. Spiders come in for the Winter here in Seattle. Most of our ceilings are the standard 8' height, but the living room is a 12 feet cathedral.

We discussed this while in the Miele store. The store ceilings were about 12' in height. With the standard wand, I could almost reach the ceiling. So, I'm hopeful that the standard wand will suffice. If not, it's nice to know that the extra wands are available. Many thanks.

Regards,

Dan
Old 09-11-2008, 06:17 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Re: best dusting brush

Might as well throw this in here. My favorite brush for dusting anything
but especially WW projects is made by Meile. It's the Universal Brush.

Festool has a brush with a similar form but the Meile version has many
more bristles and they're much finer. Naturally, it costs much more too.

Also, the Meile Parquet Floor brush is very nice.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:38 PM
Founding Member

Michael,

The Parquet Floor Brush comes with the model I'm looking at. The kitchen, family room, hall, one powder room, and the exercise room are covered in wood. Having that should be a definite plus.

I looked at the Universal Brush in the store. Since it looked similar to my Festool brush, I thought I'd try mine first. Since we have LOTS of shelves, desks, etc, the Universal Brush might be "gotta buy".

Thanks,

Dan.