talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2008, 05:13 PM

Default Re: Illness, Allergies, and HEPA Vacs

Hi Dan,

I hope you feel better. Many good suggestions ... running the HVAC fan and changing the filters should help if there are particulate in the house that keep getting kicked up.

The N95 particulate respirator (3M 9210/37021) is a nice option. I use it regularly, for any task that kicks up dust, even cutting dovetails.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Founding Member

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for the great feedback!!!

Regarding vacs, we have a whole house vacuum that never worked particularly well, was horrible to clean out, and is disabled right now because of some garage work. Even when it worked, the cleaning lady who comes in once a month wouldn't use it.

We also have a five year old Royal which is nice quality, but is heavier than lead. The cleaning lady would rather user her own than upright than the Royal. Worst of all, it's not HEPA or anything close to it.

Dyson vacs - There are lot of good reviews about the Dyson. However, it looks like it's a bit heavier than the Miele. Also, I saw several negative comments about it. From Consumer Reports on the Dyson:
Quote:
Dyson’s DC24 upright, $400, is a smaller update of its swiveling-ball design. Twisting the handle steers the ball-mounted power head for easy maneuvering. But carpet cleaning was mediocre, and airflow for tools proved meager.
This confirms one suspicion I had when I went to the Dyson site and noticed that they didn't quote airflow. The odd thing is that some customers seem very happy with the Dyson while others have issues. One concern that I have is that there is no bag; you have to empty it. I like the bag idea and keeping the dust away from my sinuses.

Electrolux vacs - It seems like Electrolux vacs are rated highly by Consumer Reports but user reviews vary widely. It looks like reliability is a big issue with those vacs. In one review, under the category "Best Uses", the reviewer wrote, "Land fill".

Miele vacs - Based on the comments about the Miele, I started sniffing around. It looks like they make great vacs. I'm thinking about the Miele Callisto S5280 Deep Black Canister Vacuum. It seems to have the same power and most of the features of the more expensive"S 5580 Aquarius" and more accessories. What is surprising is that the Miele Calisto has 141 CFM of airflow. That's even more than my CT22. It's also looks to be fairly light. In looking at the reviews, Consumer Reports didn't rate it very high, but customer reviews were almost uniformly excellent from multiple sources. Reliability was a big strong point in user reviews. Of course, at $859, it's more expensive too. I have to think a bit more (and get my honey's buyoff), but this looks like the top choice.

HEPA filters on CT22 - It turns out that my CT22 has the old style standard filters. I guess I got it just before the HEPA filters came out. I'm going to order the new filters today.

Whole house electrostatic filter - We have an HVAC electrostatic filter. I just cleaned it out yesterday and it was filthy. That was certainly a contributing factor, the pre-filters. One issue is that our current electrostatic filter is at least 13 years old and probably as old as the house - 25 years. I'm not sure if it's working as well as it should. Anyone know how to check these things?

Dust Mask - I have a 3M dust mask. I like it and it fits well. That's the good news. The bad news is that I haven't worn as much as I should have. Going forward I'm going to wear it if there is ANY dust in the air!

Thanks again for the feedback,

Dan
Old 09-10-2008, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator

I'll agree with all the above. During our remodel I was constantly coughing - turns out I'm really sensitive to plaster dust. Neither my wife nor my daughter seemed too bothered by it. My problems went away as soon as the remodel was over.

For an inside vac I'd highly recommend the Miele. I have the Antares - it's probably their least expensive, but it does everything I need. We don't have carpet anymore, so we didn't need one with the serious carpet brush. Miele has a little survey on their web site to help you find the right vac - it worked for me!

I wish I had worn a respirator. I think it would have really helped. BTW I don't have any allergies, and I'm normally the healthy one in the family...
Old 09-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post

We also have a five year old Royal which is nice quality, but is heavier than lead.

I'm thinking about the Miele Callisto S5280 Deep Black Canister Vacuum. It seems to have the same power and most of the features of the more expensive"S 5580 Aquarius" and more accessories.

Dan, our Miele replaced a Royal that I bought back in 1987. The Royals are built like tanks, and last a long time (the design is nearly identical to the Kirby). Like you say, they are very heavy, plus the design is not up to date.

I chose the Miele Aquarias. I had a choice of the 217 mid-size power head and the 236 full-size power head (for a little more). I decided to get both power heads, and I'm very glad I did. The smaller head is perfect for our carpeted stairs and in the closets. The full size head is an absolute necessity for the big rooms.

Last edited by joraft; 09-10-2008 at 10:32 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-10-2008, 09:35 PM

Dan,
The Calypso is an excellent machine in the S-series line. The SEB 217-3 Powerbrush works great and will use it pretty much 90% of the time. I glide my 217 from tiled surfaces, to carpets and hardwood floor with no problem.

Much like the Festool Sanders you do not want to use full suction with a powerhead for wall to wall med to high pile carpeting.

Yes this vacuum is more powerful than a CT22or33 without the capacity. In fact at first I was somewhat disappointed with my CT22's performance after using a Miele. You notice the difference when using vacuum driven turbo heads from one to the other.

As far a allergies go you will notice improved air quality in your home the very first you use it.

Hope this helps
Victor
Old 09-10-2008, 11:12 PM

We have a Kirby vac that is supposed to be HEPA. It is very heavy, but we love it. I had never heard of a Miele, I'll have to research it just so I can say I know something about the subject. Hope you get feeling better as well.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:27 PM

We have an Oreck ("Top Of The Line") when I bought it about three years ago (we take it in for it's annual cleaning and inspection every year). It was our second Oreck, was never really impressed with them but they seemed to be the best bang for the buck.
Last summer I was visiting my son who bragged up a storm about his Dyson DC15 Ball Animal Vacuum, tested it out and was very impressed. I was set to buy one but did some research on the Miele and am I glad I did. The Miele blows them away or should I say sucks them away. I can attest to the fact when you use the Miele you get no odor from the exhaust. Been using vacuum cleaners the better part of my adult life (>40 years) and the Miele is head and shoulders above the rest, it's the Festool of home vacuum cleaners.
Incidentally the vacuum we have supplies the 120 volts AC to the power head through the hose (wonder how they got that past UL?).
Dan, do a search on Miele and look for Witbeck’s Site, they treated me good.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:36 AM
Founding Member

Hi. Well I had a chance to visit a local Miele dealer today. What impressed me about these the buggers was the low noise, small size, handling ease, and a bunch of little features. For example, when you push the hose tube into the full upright position, the front light and beater bar turn off.

I've pretty much decided that we'll be getting the Miele Gemini. It's exactly like the Callisto, but with backlit suction settings and a SEB 236 (wide) powerhead.

Many thanks for all the help.

Regards,

Dan.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:11 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClark View Post

Well I had a chance to visit a local Miele dealer today.

Dan, I bought my Miele from a small local shop that carried only a few high end brands. This guy acted very much like a (good) Festool dealer. He spent at least an hour with me, going over and demonstrating every model, and explaining the advantages and disadvantages of each.

I had absolutely no doubt that I had made all the right choices in my purchase when I left the store. But when I got home, my wife looked at the small machine (and the bill) and thought I was nuts. She didn't care much for our heavy Royal, but she didn't think the Miele could replace it. It only took one day for her to change her mind. She loves that machine more than I do (although I still get stuck with most of the floor duty ).
Old 09-11-2008, 01:24 AM

Hope You get well soon Dan
A mask should always be worn in a dusty environment. I spend half my life around wood dust...I wear a mask as much as possible.
Cheers!
Okami