talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2008, 03:45 AM

Default Re: Mortise Pal

The JessEm Zip Slot Mortise Mill looks pretty slick from the video. As an aside ... have I mentioned how much I love the fact that my CT22 is quiet ... using the vac in the video would certainly result in hearing loss.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-14-2008, 03:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by immunoboy View Post
The JessEm Zip Slot Mortise Mill looks pretty slick from the video. As an aside ... have I mentioned how much I love the fact that my CT22 is quiet ... using the vac in the video would certainly result in hearing loss.

Can you post a link to the JessEm video, I was looking for one when I posted this thread a few days ago......Thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-14-2008, 04:04 AM

That little guy looks like a minature lock mortiser. I have always wanted to try using a lock mortiser to make extra large mortises for doors and such. I never seem to have an extra 1,000.00 lying around though. I keep buying up festools. I think I may have to start a virutex lock mortiser fund. I mean I build enough doors, I should have one already.
Old 09-14-2008, 05:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWhite View Post
Can you post a link to the JessEm video, I was looking for one when I posted this thread a few days ago......Thanks
JessEm Zip Slot Mortise Mill - Woodcraft.com
Old 09-27-2008, 10:45 PM

Just wondering if anyone has given this little guy a whirl yet?

JessEm Zip Slot Mortise Mill - Woodcraft.com
Old 09-28-2008, 02:10 AM
Super Moderator

I've been eyeing this Trend mortise and tenon jig: Trend Mortise & Tenon Jig - Rockler Woodworking Tools

Not cheap (!), but looks like it might work. The Trend company seems to have some good products, but I've never tried any. Any thoughts?
Old 09-28-2008, 03:15 PM
Perfect Little Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by lspencer98 View Post
Want both of what the Mortise Pal and the Domino offer? Try JessEm Zip Slot Mortise Mill - Woodcraft.com

This looks like a hokey piece of crap to me. I just can't imaging standing there with a drill in one hand and working the lever back and forth with the other. Seems like you're in for an awful lot of bit wear with all the lateral force you're putting on it and using it in an unintended fashion. I'd think if you need these types of joints stick with using a router, not a hand drill.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:55 PM
Founding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
Seems like you're in for an awful lot of bit wear with all the lateral force you're putting on it and using it in an unintended fashion.
Not to mention wear on the drill's bearings, which weren't chosen for heavy side loads.

Quote:
I'd think if you need these types of joints stick with using a router, not a hand drill.
There must be a reason that routers run at speeds ten times faster than drills. Hmm...cut quality?

Ned
Old 10-01-2008, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
This looks like a hokey piece of crap to me. I just can't imaging standing there with a drill in one hand and working the lever back and forth with the other. Seems like you're in for an awful lot of bit wear with all the lateral force you're putting on it and using it in an unintended fashion. I'd think if you need these types of joints stick with using a router, not a hand drill.

Jessem is well known for producing hokey pieces of crap.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:30 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedYoung View Post
Not to mention wear on the drill's bearings, which weren't chosen for heavy side loads.

There must be a reason that routers run at speeds ten times faster than drills. Hmm...cut quality?

Ned
I was curious about this, too, Ned. I once tried chucking a straight cutter bit in my drill press to do some light shaping on a small piece. It didn't work at all. So the rotation speed is clearly important...