Originally Posted by SRSemenza View Post
Hi,

I am going to add a little to my guess-

The top box is the Makita SP6000 plunge saw

The middle is a TS75 in a Sys V

The longest box is the 75" guide rail for the TS75

The shorter skinny box is the 55" guide rail for the Makita

Seth
Good thinking Seth! I'll throw in with you.

The bottom box is the Dewalt DWS520KR plunge saw

And the other skinny box is the Dewalt guide rail. (the one in the yellow package)

All awaiting Rick's "Contrast and Comparison" essay. Hardly seems fair though, the competitors can only muster 55mm cutting depth at 90 degrees.

Last edited by MichaelKellough; 09-09-2008 at 04:09 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:44 PM
Inactive Member

Default Re: Just in Time for the Weekend

Well it only took 1000+ views and 60+ replies; you guys are as sharp butter knives. Criminey, it wasn't until the 61st post that someone finally noticed the distinctive yellow color?!?!?

Michael, just so you know, I put a new plug on the DeWalt last night so I could plug it in to the same outlet I use for my 240 volt Kapex. :stongue: Oh, and I didn't have a TS75 until now.

I haven't had the chance to check them out because my workshop is such a disaster, so I started cleaning it last night. After all this time, I finally got my Kapex reassembled after the anal retentive twins (or was it triplets) had me chasing down nanometer defects. And I figured that as long as the factory inserts were already removed, I would make a new one out of a thin piece of scrap cherry laying around.

Hey Eiji, this is what an insert looks like when you are not so cheap as to use crappy plywood!
It's also what an insert looks like when it actually fits without gaps.

It is kind of interesting how both saws are designed to fit on a Festool guide rail, and DeWalt even added an extra grove in the base just for this purpose, but the DeWalt won't fit on a Makita rail. The parllelogram plunge of the DeWalt is interesting, but I'm going to take a close look to see if it introduces lateral play with all those extra parts.
Attached Thumbnails
just-time-weekend-cherryinsert.jpg  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
Good thinking Seth! I'll throw in with you.

The bottom box is the Dewalt DWS520KR plunge saw

And the other skinny box is the Dewalt guide rail. (the one in the yellow package)

All awaiting Rick's "Contrast and Comparison" essay. Hardly seems fair though, the competitors can only muster 55mm cutting depth at 90 degrees.

How did I come up with that? I am going to tell you even if you don't care:stongue:

In the pic of the Sys- V....... The white box in the background ("broadening my view") has the label on the front blurred, so it is something that Rick doesn't want us to read. But the label on the end is not blurred and clearly has the same model number. I googled the number guess what popped up!?

The Sys - V label .. the tool pic that ais blurred looks like the shape , color, and size as the plunge saw pic on a label. That combined with it being a Sys - V makes it very likely a TS75.

Makita is only offering two rails as far as I can find 55" or 118" The length of the middle box is about rght for a 55".

The TS75 comes with a 75" rail now and the longer box is about right for that.

Michael - until you mentioned it I had not noticed that there were three skinny boxes. I thought the wellow was part of the packaging. In addition to it being yellow , I think it might actually say DeWalt on the top end.

That bottom box would hold a Sys - IV, but it could be anything else that would fit. No reason it might not be the DeWalt saw based on the evidence.

Now we just need to let Colin submit the answer so that Rick will send him the tools, and then we can all divvy them up!

Seth
Old 09-09-2008, 08:09 PM

Seth
Good idea and I will share, the Cardboard boxes are all yours
Old 09-09-2008, 08:43 PM
Perfect Little Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickChristopherson View Post

Hey Eiji, this is what an insert looks like when you are not so cheap as to use crappy plywood!
Rick,

That insert has a huge gap at the rear. Couldn't you do better than that? I made my insert this weekend, and while made out of Russian Birch Ply, I only spent about 20 minutes hogging it out, but at least I took into account the area at the rear of the saw. I'll send you a picture later tonight. My saw is setup at a job now and I'm home for lunch.
Attached Thumbnails
just-time-weekend-cherryinsert2.jpg  
Old 09-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Well Colin, if you can guess what's in them, then I'll send them to you. :p
Re-read this very carefully!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisM View Post
That insert has a huge gap at the rear. Couldn't you do better than that?
Silly. That's so I can vac out the dust when it builds up. It is also where you lift it to remove it. Oh, I forgot, yours is sloppy enough that you can just pop it out. My mistake. Mine fits tight enough that you need to pry it up.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:18 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Well it only took 1000+ views and 60+ replies; you guys are as sharp butter knives. Criminey, it wasn't until the 61st post that someone finally noticed the distinctive yellow color?!?!?

Michael, just so you know, I put a new plug on the DeWalt last night so I could plug it in to the same outlet I use for my 240 volt Kapex. :stongue: Oh, and I didn't have a TS75 until now.

I haven't had the chance to check them out because my workshop is such a disaster, so I started cleaning it last night. After all this time, I finally got my Kapex reassembled after the anal retentive twins (or was it triplets) had me chasing down nanometer defects. And I figured that as long as the factory inserts were already removed, I would make a new one out of a thin piece of scrap cherry laying around.

It is kind of interesting how both saws are designed to fit on a Festool guide rail, and DeWalt even added an extra grove in the base just for this purpose, but the DeWalt won't fit on a Makita rail. The parllelogram plunge of the DeWalt is interesting, but I'm going to take a close look to see if it introduces lateral play with all those extra parts.

See, this is why I'm dubious about your clues after being repeatedly told that you had everything there was to have. After writing a manual for the TS 75 how could you not have one already??

What we (the people that have to buy our tools) are mostly waiting to know is if the Festool saws work on the Makita guide rail when cutting bevels. Is the cut exactly at the bottom corner of the splinter guard?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRSemenza View Post
How did I come up with that? I am going to tell you even if you don't care:stongue:

In the pic of the Sys- V....... The white box in the background ("broadening my view") has the label on the front blurred, so it is something that Rick doesn't want us to read. But the label on the end is not blurred and clearly has the same model number. I googled the number guess what popped up!?

The Sys - V label .. the tool pic that ais blurred looks like the shape , color, and size as the plunge saw pic on a label. That combined with it being a Sys - V makes it very likely a TS75.

Makita is only offering two rails as far as I can find 55" or 118" The length of the middle box is about rght for a 55".

The TS75 comes with a 75" rail now and the longer box is about right for that.

Michael - until you mentioned it I had not noticed that there were three skinny boxes. I thought the wellow was part of the packaging. In addition to it being yellow , I think it might actually say DeWalt on the top end.

That bottom box would hold a Sys - IV, but it could be anything else that would fit. No reason it might not be the DeWalt saw based on the evidence.

Now we just need to let Colin submit the answer so that Rick will send him the tools, and then we can all divvy them up!

Seth

I didn't think I could read that number reliably enough so didn't try.

I'd previously identified the Sys 5 as the container of a TS 75 but several things threw me off that idea later. Peter's "not Festools" guess that seemed to be reinforced by Rick's comments, the possibility that it didn't come in that shipment, and the near impossibility that Rick didn't already have one (so why get another?).

The lower box is too big for a Sys 4.

Good going Seth. I think Rick should send the Makita to you after he figures out what's wrong with it.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:44 PM

Rick, why didn't you get the Hilti WSC 267-E? Have they discontinued it? It doesn't show up on Hilti's web site.