talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-31-2008, 07:09 AM
Inactive Member

Default It Needed MORE Power

So with Michael poking fun at me needing an avatar, which I have never had on any forum before, I decided to do a little tinkering with an old Festool belt sander. I dropped in a 427 Hemi with a Weiand blower, whipped up some custom zoomies, and finally gave it a bottle of NO2 for that little extra kick at the top end. I replaced the standard trigger lock with a trans-brake, and that has really made a difference with my reaction times. It has full needle bearings on the crank and rods, so I can wind it out to about 12-grand without throwing a rod.

It'll run in the mid 13's on the 1/4, but that's because the wheels are so small right now. I'll either have to step up the gear ratio, or maybe put some 4x10.25's on it. Yesterday I decided to sand the hardwood floors in the kitchen, and I completed the whole room in about a minute and a half. I had a few spinouts into the walls because it is pretty skittish going into the corners, but makes up for it on the exits. The understeer is pretty severe, but there is not much I can do about it with a belt drive. But on the other hand, the hole shots are incredible. The standard Festool sanding base makes for a pretty decent wheelie bar, but if it ever went all the way over, I'm pretty sure it would wipe out the vac line.

Anyone up for a belt sander race? I got a pink slip that says my Festool will smoke your Porter Cable!

Last edited by RickChristopherson; 08-31-2008 at 07:23 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-31-2008, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: It Needed MORE Power

So do you have a really long vacuum hose, or is your CT hopped up, too?

Great soup-up job! I'd hate to see the scratch marks in the first few feet when that puppy takes off!!!
Old 08-31-2008, 07:21 AM

Rick,

You a car guy?
just a tiny hint there eh

Mirko
Old 08-31-2008, 07:27 AM
Inactive Member

Well Poto, those plastic wheels on the CT don't handle the speed very well, so unfortunately, it just tumbles down the track behind me.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-31-2008, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickChristopherson View Post
Well Poto, those plastic wheels on the CT don't handle the speed very well, so unfortunately, it just tumbles down the track behind me.

Mirko
Old 08-31-2008, 07:50 AM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
Rick,

You a car guy?
just a tiny hint there eh

Mirko
Nah, not really. I've got a 4-link in the rear, but on the front end, all I've got is the green tracking dial on the base. If I was more serious about this, I would definitely beef up the front end a bit more.
Old 08-31-2008, 08:06 AM

I guess that was before plug it cords which would limit your distance to 8 feet

Dan Clermont
Old 08-31-2008, 08:25 AM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanClermont View Post
I guess that was before plug it cords which would limit your distance to 8 feet

Dan Clermont
Hey, when you're blown and bottled, you don't need no stinkin' plug-it cords!
Old 08-31-2008, 02:20 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Hey, when you're blown and bottled, you don't need no stinkin' plug-it cords!
Back to Photoshop then.
Old 08-31-2008, 02:23 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
So with Michael poking fun at me needing an avatar, which I have never had on any forum before, I decided to do a little tinkering with an old Festool belt sander.

Yea, ouch! (stubbing toe on platen while trying to kick the tires) this will do.