talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2008, 05:36 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Détente?

The administrator of FOG seems to be trying to reduce the tensions between him and members of tF. Maybe he recognizes that his past punitive actions have actually sent more of his members here. Maybe he now realizes that both forums can and will continue and that co-existence and shared membership is better paired with diplomacy than combat.

Whatever the reasons he has changed his position towards several tF/FOG members from Banishment to Restricted Membership. Yesterday, without even requesting it I was switched from Banned to Restricted. Today I see even the restrictions have been lifted from my account.

I have to consider this a positive step on the administrator's part. For me it will change little. I'll be able to see some pictures I missed, but I'll be staying here 99.5% of the time. In just a few weeks tF has developed a culture that might actually be addictive. It really is different from FOG. We now have a choice.

With the very recent changes at FOG, hopefully those who prefer to be active in both forums can do so without fear of reprisal.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-30-2008, 06:26 PM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Détente?

I don't want to get into name calling and finger-pointing here. It's too relaxed and nice a place for that. But there are some recent events (a particular thread on TOF) that make me completely uninterested in putting any effort into that forum. I'm sticking with talkFestool, and doing what I can to help it be a stimulating, informative and fun place to hang out.

I mean, I could have posted my bar stools there and been in the competition for a CT22, but NO! talkFestool gets my business.
Old 08-30-2008, 06:31 PM

And you would have been a shoe-in.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-30-2008, 06:40 PM
Super Moderator

I seem to be the perennial bridesmaid for those competitions on the FOG. As far as I can tell, Bill Wyko's going to win every time. Gotta admire his work!
Old 08-30-2008, 06:44 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

(a particular thread on TOF) that make me completely uninterested in putting any effort into that forum.
Ah, maybe I posted too soon? I based my post on the one "Banned" thread, which was public. I haven't taken the time to delve into the the Way-Off topic stuff. Should I?
Old 08-30-2008, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

Only if you want your blood pressure to rise!

Again, I don't think we should bother discussing TOF here. Look ahead, not back.
Old 08-30-2008, 07:09 PM
Inactive Member

He has so drastically shattered my trust in him that no amount of change will ever get me to participate again. Even that thread was predicated on a lie; claiming that people who had been banned really weren't. To make it worse, he publicly warned that you couldn't contradict his statement and say that you were banned.

People have asked me what I wrote over there that caused my posting to be deleted. What I wrote wasn't bad and wasn't grounds for censoring, except that I simply said that my departure from his forum had absolutely nothing to do with this or any other forum, but was because I had caught him in too many lies, and he knows that my words carry a lot of weight.

The lurkers and casual readers don't know what goes on behind the scenes, and that is why nearly all of the major contributors have left, and only the casual readers are left to contribute. He wants to make it sound like people are leaving there because of this forum, when in fact, most of the people I have talked with have left because of the games he plays.

I am sorry. I just needed to get that off my chest, and I wasn't permitted to say it over there yesterday. I'll go back and lay down by my dish with Wally and Susy.
Old 08-31-2008, 12:35 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickChristopherson View Post

The lurkers and casual readers don't know what goes on behind the scenes ...

I am sorry. I just needed to get that off my chest, and I wasn't permitted to say it over there yesterday. I'll go back and lay down by my dish with Wally and Susy.

There are many of us that completely understand what you are saying (and feeling), Rick, and why you'd like to get it off your chest.

I came over here for a freer and more peaceful atmosphere, and I think so far we are all doing a hell of a job in making it that way. The less we get into discussing the other place, the easier it will be to continue along those lines.
Old 08-31-2008, 01:00 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post

With the very recent changes at FOG, hopefully those who prefer to be active in both forums can do so without fear of reprisal.

Michael, being a group of mature, rational adults, I see no good reason why any of us shouldn't have the right to participate in any forums we wish.

But lately, I only seem to have time for my favorite one.
Old 08-31-2008, 03:02 AM

I'm probably the most impartial person here.....I think?

I don't really give a toss one way or another. What I'm really depressed about is the fact that so many rational people got their knickers in a twist so badly that it becomes a soap opera. It really is pathetic.

I managed to get into Festool....and I loved the tools I had.....but then the proverbial hit the fan and I ended up selling them to keep the house. I still have my tape and glasses compliments of TimmyC but the whole ruckus that has developed is silly.

The more I log onto Tf, the more names I recognise and that's cool.I can't be arsed to get into petty bitching. Its really a sad comment on people who are supposedly adults to have to get into that type of stuff.

I think the worst case was seeing John(woodshopdemos) get hammered,which was absolutely ridiculous. The bloke has done nothing but promote woodworking and included the F word into all of it. I have total respect for the bloke....and the fact that he gets nice bits of fluff to do the work.

As I said before, I'm sans festool.....but I still like them even though I think that they are pricey. I'll probably get banned from the other place.....like I care either way, but the point is , is this whole thing in no better than watching kindergarten kids in a playground.

Steps off platform to grab a asahi and chill.