talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2008, 07:44 AM
Super Moderator

Default Ghosts in my Bose...

I have a Bose 3.2.1 GS Series DVD system. Every now and then (maybe once a month, that I've noticed) when it's not turned on, I hear quite loud crackling and popping static from the speakers. It's usually short-lived - a second or two. It might do it several times in an hour, and then not again for a month. I haven't paid enough attention to see if it happens only after I've used it (I don't use it very much). My guess is that a capacitor is discharging, though why it should is beyond me.

Any suggestions? Aliens?
Old 08-24-2008, 07:53 AM

Default Re: Ghosts in my Bose...

I take it you have a sub-woofer that is powered separately and always on. Chances are the sub-woofer is picking up stray noise on the cabling and trying to play it. The longer the cable, the more chances of noise.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-24-2008, 08:25 AM
Super Moderator

Steve - somehow I knew you'd be the first one on this. Yes, I have a powered subwoofer. I'm using the standard cables that came with the set-up. Should I move them away from other cables? I'm guessing the power cables are the main culprit? It didn't do it when I had the smaller speakers up on a shelf (they're closer to the subwoofer now).
Old 08-24-2008, 08:39 AM

Powered speakers pick up the slightest noise and amplify it. Definitely keep it away from other cables, especially those running beside it. There might be some that debate this idea but I say run coax cable. Regular TV coax cable between the amplifier and the speakers. The coax reduces noise pickup.

If you don't/can't put up with the thickness of a coax cable running across the floor then use a telephone cable. The phone cable is a twisted wire that reduces interference. The signal being sent down the wire is able to handle the small phone cable.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-24-2008, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the suggestions, Steve. When I've had some sleep, I'll look into it.

Go to bed! Don't you ever sleep? It's almost 4 in the morning for you!
Old 08-24-2008, 09:10 AM

I try to sleep when I can. But I have ideas, and ideas need nourishing. And you can't nourish ideas while sleeping. Sure, you can get some ideas while sleeping but most of them come from ideas presented to you.

But pills - Fred has my pills. You know how hard to get it is to get THAT subscription? And Fred got my REFILLS. Now I gotta find a new quack that will find me psychotic enough.

Last edited by Qwas; 08-24-2008 at 09:26 AM.
Old 08-24-2008, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

Napoleon once said, "Men need four hours of sleep, women and children need six, and fools need eight." I need about nine. So where does that put me?

Had any really good ideas?
Old 08-24-2008, 04:03 PM

I would take ten, but usually only get three or four.

A little off topic, but I recently switched RCA patch cables to a fiber optic cable, then realized the HD box only had digital coax. I found a converter to go between the two with a 3 foot long digital coax to it. The only fiber optic they had was like 12 feet long. So now it travel 15 feet of cable to reach the surround sound, and it has a major delay in sound. I suspect it to be the really long fiber optic cable.
Old 08-25-2008, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Napoleon once said, "Men need four hours of sleep, women and children need six, and fools need eight." I need about nine. So where does that put me?

Had any really good ideas?
Maybe he should have slept on it before he decided to invade Russia.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Well, exactly! Thank you for making my point (and redeeming all of us fools+ who need lots of sleep)!