talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2018, 02:51 PM

Default I've been away

And this is the cause of it.... 1984 VW Vanagon , straight passenger van, not a Westy/Westfalia.
Attached Thumbnails
ive-been-away-vw-vanagon-056.jpg  
Old 10-09-2018, 03:14 PM

Default So, I've been away

After behaving myself for a few years with driving a Mini Cooper on a daily basis and learning how to compartmentalize to the extreme, I kept looking fondly at these old vans and remembering how much I liked my 1968 VW Camper[ my first car]
Plenty of cargo room on the inside, runs on 87 Octane Gas all day long, Front and Rear Heater along with A/C system that's already been converted to R134 Freon. Water Cooled Engine is now quiet with complete new Exhaust System installed by me.
Currently I'm restoring all the needed updated parts that previous owners and shops have learned about over the years as trouble spots due to poor design or just weak material choices by VW when they were new vehicles.
So, Stainless Steel Coolant Pipes in certain areas and a New Welded Aluminum Coolant Expansion Tank to boot for combating or preventing Plastic part failures or rusted steel parts.

Tires were the hard one. VW moved to 14" tires years ago with the 60's Buses, and they stuck with them on the Vanagons.
It's load rating of these small diameter, and skinny tires that's hard to accommodate as Tire Makers discontinue what they once offered.
So, I moved up to 15" rims and found many choices available for both All Season and Snow tires in a 15" size. Problem solved, money thrown at the issue once again.....

Interior is spooky out of the 80's as a Time Capsule, I even have a working Radio Shack Am/FM Cassette Radio in the dash.....

I have also somewhat unknowningly wandered into a current trend of #VanLife that's the rage in certain circles. Although not a Westy/Camper, my Van is already attacting attention and it's not even on the road as it sits here at work while I attend to different systems a little bit at a time. Who knew Peter/Poto, I'm hip with the kids....

Color is Samos Beige on top and Aswan Brown/Assuan Brown[ I've seen it both ways, still confused as to which is correct]. Keeping the 80's Vintage Color scheme for now, a complete repaint won't be until next year at the earliest.

Manual Steering, and light at that for a Van. Well, with the engine in the back, there isn't much in the front to weigh it down...
I haven't owned a Manual Steering Rack Vehicle since my old '79 Volvo 242....

Only electrical item that doesn't work are the 2 Dome Lights, everything else still turns on, although the blower motors need oiling of their bearings, so I did the Rear Heater first as it's the easiest to get to for now.

The Van was off the road for a few years, and the body is actually really decent for a Midwest vehicle, I'd seen so much worse in my search for one, and traveling to the West Coast wasn't an option to get one of their more rust free examples, although at higher prices as well.
Old 10-09-2018, 03:16 PM

Default Re: I've been away

Passenger Side view.....
Attached Thumbnails
ive-been-away-vw-vanagon-061.jpg  
Old 10-09-2018, 11:21 PM

At least it does not have an 8 track!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-10-2018, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sta2lt View Post
At least it does not have an 8 track!

I have, however, updated the Headlights to LED versions from TruckLite, and I installed LED Reverse Bulbs to help with backing up at night or in low light.
Old 10-10-2018, 09:06 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Water cooled engine? Didn't know they did that.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-11-2018, 04:57 AM

There is a company here in Bend who does nothing except pull the engines out of these and replace with Subaru engines.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post
Water cooled engine? Didn't know they did that.
How it once was.... 2.0 liter Air Cooled Engine was carried over from the ‘70s Bus into the Vanagon, with 68HP. Then VW generously gave us the Diesel engine out of the Rabbit, a stellar 48 HP. I’ve heard them described as so slow they’re dangerous.... But, a real heater core filled by coolant....

In 1983.5 production, we got the 1.9 liter water cooled Boxer , or WasserBoxer as it is also known as. Went to 2.1 liter in ‘86, HP was approx. 82 for the 1.9 and 95 for the 2.1
1986 we got the 4x4 Syncro Model in both Camper/Westfalia and plain Van as another model in the choices.
The Weekender models add to the Westfalia confusion since I believe you could get a Pop-Up Top but no kitchen if you wanted it that way. I’ve also seen Weekenders with no Pop-Up Top, I fully admit to not knowing all the ins and outs of the offerings in trim and models.....

Last edited by Leakyroof; 10-11-2018 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2018, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sta2lt View Post
There is a company here in Bend who does nothing except pull the engines out of these and replace with Subaru engines.
And the new concern with that is the extra power of the Subaru engines is greatly shortening the life of the VW transaxles that were designed for a lower output engine.
The biggest worry is the 4x4 Syncro Unit since itís rare to begin with, fragile and was already being worked hard with Off-Road driving. If you own a Vanagon Syncro model, many of the trans parts are NLA and remaining transaxles are hard come by now that all the models are in their 30th birthdays easily
Putting a Subie in back, mated to it could break that trans.
Old 10-12-2018, 12:42 AM

Well that is why I drive a Subbie and not a VW. lol