talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2016, 04:45 PM

Default Evils of diet soda?

Maybe this is appropriate as a café topic, ...

I seem to remember Okami and perhaps others having strong opinions about getting rid of diet soda. I am working on living longer to make more projects and being able to get closer to the tablesaw. One of the things that I am thinking about working in is ditching the diet soda - any opinions or experiences in that regard?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-18-2016, 05:43 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Evils of diet soda?

IMO aspartame (equal, nutrasweet) ans sucralose (splenda) are poison.

Several years ago in my efforts to cut back on carbs I started drinking diet soda vs regular. The overall carb cutback helped a lot with the waistline but several months in I started getting a strange nerve dissorder where 1/2 my head felt a phantom numbness. The docs were clueless, they were gonna start doing brain scans and get more invasive and my skepticism grew and I put on the brakes. Then in a prayerful moment of reflection on my situation it occurred to me to investigate aspartame side effects online and encountered reports of my very condition. I dropped the diet soda immediately and everything returned to normal in about 2-3 weeks.

Later on I gave in to my soda craving with the new sucralose diet sodas that were coming to market. Within a day I ended up with major kidney pain that subsided a few days after dumping that stuff as well.

A few years later I was at a retreat in Tahoe and shared my experiences with a guy (a seated judge) and his eyes got really big. He was currently dealing with the phantom numbness in his head, and after the months of xrays, mri's and brain scans his docs were no closer to understanding what's going on. He was a big diet soda drinker for years and cut it out cold turkey and was back to normal in about a month. Why docs rarely if ever examine their patients diets beyond their SOP advise on cholesterol or diabetes is another question.

Both of these substances have extensive reports of side effects online, no doubt the makers will dispute them all.

Now I drink water. That's what the body actually needs anyway. Will also have the occasional adult beverage. If beverages are your caffeine delivery system then consider switching to tea if coffee without a sweetener doesn't suit you. I ended up dumping the caffeine drinks altogether.

That's my personal experience, I'll never knowingly consume the crap again. Unfortunately that takes vigilance reading ingredients labels, they're used a lot to cut calories in things. If something says 'sugar free' my crap detector goes into red alert.

It's your body, YMMV.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:53 PM

The health impact of sugar substitutes are undecided, at best. I've seen some studies that state they are harmful, others that state they are no worse for you than water. I believe the cancer risk has been debunked at this point.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-18-2016, 07:15 PM

My wife has worked for years in the Medical Field in various areas. Many people in that line of work do not support anyone using the sweeteners that Paul G listed for a multitude of reasons, but, mainly the ones he described in his symptoms. Generally, once the patients go cold turkey, they are back to normal. Since I have never consumed Diet soda, and gave up regular soda in the Fall of 2011, I only hear what these people are describing they went through, haven't experienced it myself...
Now if I could wean myself off Ice Tea,........ The 'Dark' side of Caffeine is powerful, strong......:laug hing1:
Plus it keeps me awake at work.......
Old 08-18-2016, 08:33 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

In defense of diet soda...

when you spill it the dried residue is not sticky, unlike sugary soda.

That's all I can think of. Otherwise, it's baaad.

There's nothing like water
Old 08-18-2016, 09:52 PM

As with other topics, this group has a wealth of experience and opinions here, much appreciated. I think I am going to give it up, see if it helps me get back on the wagon, healthwise. Then I will have energy to build more wagons - I always wanted to build a wagon for the Greater Swiss Mountain Dog in our house to pull the grandkids around.

Thanks for all your input.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:01 AM
Super Moderator

Good luck with this, Paul. I have always been a water drinker - I don't even drink coffee, which makes me a serious anomaly these days. My wife drank diet soda for many years before I met her, and suffered headaches - they went away when she quit.

I'm certain you'll feel MUCH better once you kick that stuff out of your system. Evolutionarily, it's nasty stuff - we weren't designed to be consuming it all the time.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:38 AM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I only drink a diet soda about once a week, if that. The rest of the time it's black coffee or water with a lemon slice. Is 5 cups of java a day too much?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 08-19-2016, 05:42 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
I only drink a diet soda about once a week, if that. The rest of the time it's black coffee or water with a lemon slice. Is 5 cups of java a day too much?
We're supposed to keep track of our coffee consumption? Sheesh, doesn't one have to be awake for that first? No, I'm just not down for keeping score. Black coffee and water, and that's about as good as I can be.
Old 08-20-2016, 01:29 AM

Xylitol is a artifical sweetener in many gums and it can kill your dog
Toxicity from Gum, Candy, and Toothpaste in Dogs | petMD

Guy at work offers me a piece of gum and I told him the story and followed it up with "it will kill a dog, but it's fine for people!"

I actually get a very mild shortness of breathe if I try to drink Diet Coke. All these new sweeteners "scare" the heck out of me.