talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2008, 09:11 PM

Default Woodworking Nirvana

Or why we like woodworking

If you've never read the book “Drawing on the right side of the brain”, by Doctor Betty Edwards,
I urge you buy it and try it. Here is a sample page. Read a Chapter of DRSB

Wood working like drawing and and many other crafts cause a shift in consciousness and unknowing to ourselves, shuts down that nasty left brain, leaving us in a state of pure peaceful pleasure.
No wonder we like it, Funny thing is we don't even know we are there until the phone rings, or the wife yells “Did you take out the garbage”,then the left brain snaps in and deprives us of that state of nirvana

Read Dr. Edwards book, it will teach you to draw and possibly make a better wood worker out of you.

I know that when I work in wood, clay, draw, or paint I'm in an other world and love it.
How about you guys ever notice the effect.

Bob

Spent a lot of time in LA LA land sculpting this piece.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-23-2008, 09:26 PM

Default Re: Woodworking Nirvana

Bob,
Exactly right! I love the right side of my brain.

I like to work in a state of zen. I dont need any music just some wood, tools, and a pencil. It is "the way" the way of the Wood.

Eiji
Old 08-23-2008, 09:32 PM

Bob (the renaissance man) Swenson,

Hmm, you sculpt too, why am I not surprised?

I know what your saying, there are times, (not always) when I feel that relaxed state of mind, and nothing else matters, like forgetting to eat, all day!

I love eating, so I really have to be in the zone for that to happen!

Mirko

Last edited by Mirko; 08-23-2008 at 09:34 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-23-2008, 09:40 PM

this state of zen is not a lala land. I am still able to concetrate on safe procedures while using the tools. I like to stay in the zone and not zone out.

Eiji
Old 08-23-2008, 09:42 PM

It goes without saying
Old 08-23-2008, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

I know just what you mean. I've been there a lot, lately, as I've been able to do a lot more woodworking while on sabbatical. But I also get in that state when I'm doing serious science. If I'm really into something, the rest of the world ceases to exist. Like Eiji, I don't have music or anything - I find that if I do, I listen to it, and it ruins my concentration on the task at hand. But it is very rejuvenating for the brain. I think the best jobs are those that encourage you to use the creative, nonlinear part of the brain.
Old 08-24-2008, 04:45 AM

Bob is that sculpture of you, with a more flowing hairstyle and looking over a less groomed Per's shoulder??? or is my sleeping pill kicking in? I worked with my father all last week and I thought of you guys often. Family can be really nice, plus he was born and raised in Ocean City. Joisy, Eric