talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2015, 01:43 AM
Administrator

Default Bad morning ...

About 3:30 this morning I hear a ruckus in the back yard, and run out to find one of my dogs being attacked by a large raccoon. I interrupted the fight, and she's okay except for some pretty deep cuts. Lots of blood, pretty scary at the time.

What surprised me is how aggressive these bastards can be. There were four of them, and as I tried to chase them out of the yard they turned around, stood on their hind legs, and then growled while slashing at me with their claws. WTF?

A couple of them were soaking wet, so I think they may have been in our waterfall, trying feast on our kois.

My first instinct is to sit out there with my assault rifle and a couple of thirty round clips. But since a .223 has a lot of velocity and a long range, spraying the back yard may wind up with me losing a few neighbors. I guess I'll go with the 12 gauge.

Old 07-25-2015, 03:46 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Bad morning ...

We get the roving coon gangs here as well. Thankfully my outdoor cat is faster and a better climber. The funny part though here is they seem to mostly fight among themselves, I go outside to run them off as they fight over the treats in our compost pile. I like to bring a golf club to the party just in case, around here I'd be hauled off in cuffs if I started blasting or even nailed one with a broadhead for that matter. You're right about fish ponds, a friend had his completely cleaned out one night. He now has a chicken wire lid over it to protect the replacements.

I hope your dog makes a quick recovery. Their claws and teeth are quite formidable and like to work in numbers. Good thing you were home.
Old 07-25-2015, 05:19 AM

We have them here, nasty creatures. Maybe some carefully placed wire hooked up to some 220. Yea it is only single phase but....
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-25-2015, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

So sorry about your dog, John. I hope she heals well.

We had some record-setting thunderstorms this past weekend. At about two in the afternoon I looked into the back yard, and there was a soaking-wet raccoon walking along the top of our fence. I'm guessing its den got flooded.

They're pretty canny creatures. I've never heard of them attacking a dog, though. Scary.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I'd take her to the vet and check for rabies. That does not sound like "normal" raccoon behavior. I hope she makes a full recovery!

Raccoons can be subdued by feeding them fermented soft fruit, like pears. They get drunk and fall asleep and can be easily removed. If that doesn't work, a slingshot with .30 ball bearings works pretty quick and stealthy, too!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 07-25-2015, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
I'd take her to the vet and check for rabies. That does not sound like "normal" raccoon behavior. I hope she makes a full recovery!

Raccoons can be subdued by feeding them fermented soft fruit, like pears. They get drunk and fall asleep and can be easily removed. If that doesn't work, a slingshot with .30 ball bearings works pretty quick and stealthy, too!
Leave it to Alex to have a 'wine' solution at hand.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:56 PM

So sorry to hear you and your dog had to endure all of that.
Speedy recovery for both of you.
I agree with Alex about the Rabies check with your vet just to be safe.
Old 07-25-2015, 03:14 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Sorry to hear that John. Our problems were with coyotes mostly. They got our cat and 3 of them attacked one of our Cocker Spaniels while Sherry was walking her on a leash.

We had lots of raccoons and they went after our cat but not the dogs. I've heard of them drowning dogs when they wind up fighting in the water.

Hope your dog makes a quick and full recovery.
Old 07-25-2015, 06:12 PM
Administrator

The really sad thing is that this dog was diagnosed with terminal cancer a few months ago. She'll be 15 in November, but her vet doesn't think she'll live that long. 15 years is pretty good for a Sheltie, but not long enough for me.

Mike, I remember that you lost Sugar Bear about 1 1/2 years ago, so you know what it's like to watch them waste away. Never being sure when it's time to end the suffering.

This dog was pretty athletic even a few years ago, might have taught that raccoon a thing or two. Right now she's pretty weak and vulnerable, easy prey.

We had her checked out by her vet after the attack. They cleaned the wounds and gave her some antibiotics. They were not worried about rabies since she's up to date on her shots.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

John, I'm so sorry to hear about your dog's cancer. We lost our first Golden to cancer after only 10 years. It was heart wrenching. Our thoughts are with you and Ann.