talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2015, 06:34 PM

Default Re: Bad morning ...

Sorry to hear the news. I've never seen anything but lone raccoons in the wild. Lone raccoons are best avoided.

If I ever see more than one at a time, I'll won't hesitate getting out the heavy artillery.

Charles
Old 07-26-2015, 07:39 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post

... Our problems were with coyotes mostly. They got our cat and 3 of them attacked one of our Cocker Spaniels while Sherry was walking her on a leash.
We have a large coyote population here as well, and very few cats.

They've gotten into a few backyards and killed small dogs, but no attacks while walking dogs that I know of. However, with my coyote encounters they've never shown any fear of me or my dogs, and that's unnerving in itself.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:55 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post

... Our thoughts are with you and Ann.
Thanks for your thoughts, Peter.

Sometimes I think I'm prepared for what's coming, and sometimes I wonder.

Shelby is actually my daughter's dog. She didn't want to separate her from our other Sheltie (Shelby's niece) when she left home, so she left her behind. A hard decision for sure. Since that time, the dog has become very attached to me (and vice versa).

My daughter arrived Friday (with the two little ones) for a two week last visit with her beloved dog. It's funny, no matter how long between visits, Shelby recognizes her the minute she walks through the door and starts squealing like puppy. She does not do that with any other human being.

Old 07-26-2015, 09:36 PM

Sorry to hear your bad news John. There is nothing harder than putting down a dog. I still have nightmares about our little guy who was riddled with cancer more than 10 years ago.

We have regular visits from a coyote family here. They hunt in packs of three. Two distract the dog while one comes from behind and takes out a hamstring, rendering the dog pretty much defenseless.

The neighborhood has lost several pets that way.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-03-2015, 02:28 AM
Founding Member

I'm glad Shelby got a chance to see you daughter again, and hope she recovers quickly from her wounds.
Old 08-03-2015, 03:49 AM

I'm so sorry to hear about the illness of your family pet, John...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-05-2015, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Shelby has recovered completely from the coon attack. We've got her on steroids, and the cancer seems to be progressing slowly. I'm hoping she'll make it to her birthday in November, our vet doesn't think so.

A problem I have now is that I have to close the dog doors at night. The dogs come and wake me up when they have to go out to pee, which at their age is several times a night. I get to stand out in the yard in my jammies and watch for coons (that's a sight that should chase them off). I'm losing a lot of sleep.

Old 08-05-2015, 05:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Thanks for the kind words, guys.

Shelby has recovered completely from the coon attack. We've got her on steroids, and the cancer seems to be progressing slowly. I'm hoping she'll make it to her birthday in November, our vet doesn't think so.

A problem I have now is that I have to close the dog doors at night. The dogs come and wake me up when they have to go out to pee, which at their age is several times a night. I get to stand out in the yard in my jammies and watch for coons (that's a sight that should chase them off). I'm losing a lot of sleep.

A possible alternative, but doesn't address the coons though.. Shop Electronic & Magnetic Doors products by PetSafe
Old 08-05-2015, 05:21 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG View Post

A possible alternative, but doesn't address the coons though.. Shop Electronic & Magnetic Doors products by PetSafe
Thanks, Paul.

I'm not so concerned about the raccoons coming into the house, as the dogs running into them in the yard.

Someone suggested trapping them and releasing them elsewhere (like over by Ned's house ). However, I don't know how I would know when I have captured them all, without risking another attack.

Old 08-06-2015, 01:14 AM

John,

So glad to hear that your dog is back to normal- I do hate to point out that since you have given her steroids, she'll be ineligible for the Olympics.

Well, the good news is that as long as you weren't involved in the injections, you can still get a berth on team U.S.A.

Rutager