talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2015, 09:33 PM

Default Plan B Water plan for all our SOCAL posters

So, now that we keep hearing California has 1 year of water left, what is the general line of thoughts about all of that from our actual posters who live in Cali? Bottled water, here we come? Desalinization Plant in Poto's backyard?
Old 05-04-2015, 10:21 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Re: Plan B Water plan for all our SOCAL posters

Praying for rain
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-04-2015, 10:57 PM

Is it the natural cycle of weather changes?
Is it the theory of "global warming" (which many are now saying doesn't exist)?
Man made manipulation of weather (HAARP or similar)?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 05-05-2015, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post

... Desalinization Plant in Poto's backyard?
Actually, there is a plant in Poto's backyard scheduled to go on line later this year. They're estimating that it will provide 7% of San Diego County's water. It is also estimated that 125 of these plants placed along the California coast would supply 100% of the water needed for residences and businesses. The total cost would be about the same as our idiotic ill conceived bullet train project.

Carlsbad desalination plant

I've lived in California for most of my life and I've been through many serious drought periods, as well as many serious flood seasons. My (very unscientific) opinion is that more rain than we can handle is not far off. Unfortunately, we haven't been smart enough to build systems that catch and save most of it. We still drain the major portion out into the ocean.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeTwoBears View Post
Praying for rain
I hear you. But in the meantime.... What is the local buzz?
I know Agricultural takes much water, but I also hear that much of certain water sources are off limits to farmers. So, they truck in water from somewhere?
Old 05-05-2015, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Actually, there is a plant in Poto's backyard scheduled to go on line later this year. They're estimating that it will provide 7% of San Diego County's water. It is also estimated that 125 of these plants placed along the California coast would supply 100% of the water needed for residences and businesses. The total cost would be about the same as our idiotic ill conceived bullet train project.

Carlsbad desalination plant

I've lived in California for most of my life and I've been through many serious drought periods, as well as many serious flood seasons. My (very unscientific) opinion is that more rain than we can handle is not far off. Unfortunately, we haven't been smart enough to build systems that catch and save most of it. We still drain the major portion out into the ocean.

Thanks John
Old 05-05-2015, 01:44 AM

Quote:
"I've lived in California for most of my life and I've been through many serious drought periods, as well as many serious flood seasons. My (very unscientific) opinion is that more rain than we can handle is not far off."
Hope you are right, John. If you get more rain than you can handle, send some down our way.
Old 05-05-2015, 03:26 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessecloud View Post

... If you get more rain than you can handle, send some down our way.
Let's face it, Jesse, New Mexico is a beautiful place, but it will ALWAYS be short on water.

Old 05-05-2015, 05:03 AM
Super Moderator

No, this is not a "normal" drought - we've had drought for (as I recall) 10 of the last 11 years, with only a single wet year. The reservoirs are mostly below 10% capacity. San Diego has instituted fines for lawn watering, etc., and is finally encouraging HOAs to plant low-water ground covers (instead of grass). As John mentioned, there's a desalination plant that's to come online up in Carlsbad - it's been a long time coming.

We've put in low-water landscaping (California natives), but are still on the high side for water usage (my girls like their showers). Agriculture takes the bulk of the water in CA, and I'm sure it's going to take a hit. Which will propagate through the rest of the US, which relies on CA for food. It's not going to be pretty.

Right now there's a huge and growing pool of extremely warm water off the coast - they're calling it "The Blob". It now extends from Vancouver to Baja, and it's about 3 degrees above normal, which is almost unheard of. We're actually having an emergency meeting of experts on the subject at Scripps tomorrow and Wednesday. It will be interesting to see whether anyone knows where it came from, and why it's there. Certainly it's affecting continental weather patterns. It's not an El Nino - none of the other normal water patterns are there. Very strange, but entirely consistent with the effects of anthropogenic climate change. We'll get more variability, and the planet is slowly heating up. The oceans are taking up the bulk of the heat, but that will stop soon - they can only do so much. Then the land will start heating for real, and that's when people will stop arguing about whether they "believe" in climate change (it's happening whether you believe it or not), and instead argue about what to do about it. By then, of course, it will be far, far too late. In fact, it already is.
Old 05-05-2015, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
No, this is not a "normal" drought - we've had drought for (as I recall) 10 of the last 11 years, with only a single wet year. The reservoirs are mostly below 10% capacity. San Diego has instituted fines for lawn watering, etc., and is finally encouraging HOAs to plant low-water ground covers (instead of grass). As John mentioned, there's a desalination plant that's to come online up in Carlsbad - it's been a long time coming.

We've put in low-water landscaping (California natives), but are still on the high side for water usage (my girls like their showers). Agriculture takes the bulk of the water in CA, and I'm sure it's going to take a hit. Which will propagate through the rest of the US, which relies on CA for food. It's not going to be pretty.

Right now there's a huge and growing pool of extremely warm water off the coast - they're calling it "The Blob". It now extends from Vancouver to Baja, and it's about 3 degrees above normal, which is almost unheard of. We're actually having an emergency meeting of experts on the subject at Scripps tomorrow and Wednesday. It will be interesting to see whether anyone knows where it came from, and why it's there. Certainly it's affecting continental weather patterns. It's not an El Nino - none of the other normal water patterns are there. Very strange, but entirely consistent with the effects of anthropogenic climate change. We'll get more variability, and the planet is slowly heating up. The oceans are taking up the bulk of the heat, but that will stop soon - they can only do so much. Then the land will start heating for real, and that's when people will stop arguing about whether they "believe" in climate change (it's happening whether you believe it or not), and instead argue about what to do about it. By then, of course, it will be far, far too late. In fact, it already is.
Potosan, I hope You and Your colleagues can make some progress on "the blob" mystery.
In Your expert opinion, what do You think are the major reasons for global warming/climate change?
This is a very interesting and serious subject, and there's so much conflicting information out there.