LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2015, 11:30 PM
Administrator

Default Re: I'm finding the more tools I have, the more tools I need

Poto demonstrating his JMP skills at WIA 2010:

Old 04-12-2015, 12:20 AM
Administrator

Dagnabit I gotta get me one of those. The good news is SWMBO even likes it!
Old 04-12-2015, 12:32 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulG View Post

... The good news is SWMBO even likes it!
Of course! With no motor, you even cut wood late at night in the bedroom.

(Though I haven't tried it. )

Old 04-12-2015, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I could be wrong, but I believe that Rutager has 7 JMPs.

Paul, it's basically a table saw with a stationary blade (a thin-kerf Japanese saw blade) that you move the wood+table over. You crank the blade up into the wood as you move it. The Bridge City videos are pretty cool - especially the squiggle wood!
7? Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
Yes! You simply cannot believe the smooth cuts without seeing them in person.

A JMP project by JohnE:

That is a really cool project. It isn't documented online by any chance is it?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-12-2015, 01:13 AM
Super Moderator

And I was wearing a Marcou polo shirt while demonstrating at the BCTW booth!

Here's a link to the chess set, "Fog of War".

Fog of War Board Archives - John's Blog

There are probably other posts about it on John's blog - it's a fun place to noodle around. He's an absolutely WONDERFUL person, and would be happy to answer any questions you might have. There are quite a few of us BCTW afficionados here on tF, so we can probably help lighten your wallet, too.

You need to be aware of John's business philosophy: you pre-order, and pay half up front. Then you wait an AGONIZINGLY long time, pay the second half, and get your amazing tool. Sometimes a couple of years later (such as a couple of his special planes). But they're ALWAYS worth the wait!

(P.S. The reason I mention the pre-order window is that it just opened for the next run of the JMP, so now's your chance! He says you'll get your tool in December, but I wouldn't hold my breath...)

Last edited by Poto; 04-12-2015 at 01:15 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-12-2015, 02:52 AM

Quote:
And I was wearing a Marcou polo shirt while demonstrating at the BCTW booth!

Here's a link to the chess set, "Fog of War".

Fog of War Board Archives - John's Blog

There are probably other posts about it on John's blog - it's a fun place to noodle around. He's an absolutely WONDERFUL person, and would be happy to answer any questions you might have. There are quite a few of us BCTW afficionados here on tF, so we can probably help lighten your wallet, too.

You need to be aware of John's business philosophy: you pre-order, and pay half up front. Then you wait an AGONIZINGLY long time, pay the second half, and get your amazing tool. Sometimes a couple of years later (such as a couple of his special planes). But they're ALWAYS worth the wait!

(P.S. The reason I mention the pre-order window is that it just opened for the next run of the JMP, so now's your chance! He says you'll get your tool in December, but I wouldn't hold my breath...)
Thanks for the link. good stuff.

The only BCTW item I have so far is the kerfmaker that I have started using a lot. fortunately, it was an in stock item when I bought it. Really looking forward to the JMP
Old 04-12-2015, 03:41 AM
Administrator

Quote:

Does he say which December?

Thanks for explaining the order/payment process. Not sure I can float it this go-round unfortunately, how often does it come around?
Old 04-12-2015, 07:39 AM
Super Moderator

It's fairly random, as far as I can tell. I think that this is the fourth round of JMPs and the third for the fence system, though I could be off by one either way. So every two years or so, so far. But there are no guarantees it will ever happen again...
Old 04-12-2015, 10:08 AM

Paul,

They will extend a payment plan to most folks; they call it "Easy-Pay," and depending on the tool will let you make up to 6 monthly payments rather than the half and half. Although Fred once got an 22 month plan from John! He paid it off way before that though.

Set up is the key for great results on the tool, oh that and rock solid securing of your stock- shoving wood over a blade doesn't make it happy and it wants to get out of the way.

Rutager