talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2014, 06:29 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears
Default Robbed and depressed

I just had cataract surgery on my right eye and I've had to wait around for them to do my second eye. In the meantime, I can't wear glasses since they don't work anymore so my depth perception is off. I was also told to take it easy so work on the shop has come to a halt.

So to busy myself I've been moving tools down to the shop and going over stuff. I'm now kicking myself for being so trusting with the workers that have been around here. I'd rather think that it's someone I've never met, but I'm missing a few items that I'm aware of thus far.

LN # 5 bench plane in sock
LN #8 bench plane in sock
Boggs flat spokeshave in leather case
Boggs curved spokeshave in leather case
Boggs concave spokeshave in leather case
Small LN bronze spokeshave in leather case

Lord knows what else is missing. I'm pretty bummed............
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-11-2014, 08:49 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Robbed and depressed

Geez, Mike, that really stinks.

I don't know what's worse in these situations, the financial loss or the feelings of betrayal and personal violation.

Not to mention that you'll find yourself suspecting everyone who had access to the tools until/unless you find the true culprit.

I hope you don't find anything else missing.

Old 11-11-2014, 09:51 PM

Mixed feelings. We've had a fair amount of people working around here and I don't want to think its any of them. But on the other hand, I'd hate to think someone came onto the property and got into the garage.

Funny what they took. Quite a few BCTW boxes sitting right there, but they don't appear to be missing anything. Odd really the items they took.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-11-2014, 10:57 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

What a bummer! Either they need them to work with or they'll show up on some classified ad site. Have you reported the theft to the police yet?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 11-12-2014, 12:38 AM

No BCTW stuff taken, well I guess I'm no longer a suspect!

Sorry to hear this Mike. Although if it was a break in, I'm sure that you would have been cleaned out. That leaves a couple other options, one that workers took them, or you have misplaced them. I would check all the possible places they could be first before accusing anyone. Just seems weird that all those spokeshaves would be taken by someone, but very probable that they would be stored together, which is why my first thought was that they are in a different place than you thought they were.

I would get everything else well secured just in case.

Good luck, I hope they turn up.

Rutager
Old 11-12-2014, 01:14 AM

TTB,
Bummer about the missing tools. But on a positive note, cataract surgery changed my life dramatically, and I assume it will once you have your second eye done. I had one eye done in July, and the second in August. I resumed woodworking immediately, after about a 6 month hiatus due to not seeing well enough to consider myself able to work safely.

I still need reading glasses for really close work, and in the shop I use them when I use a ruler or tape measure to mark a cut, but most of the time I'm woodworking without glasses and seeing 20/20. The biggest shock for me was after surgery on the first eye, when I saw crystal-clear images with pure whites and brilliant colors. The eye awaiting surgery saw yellowed whites, and muted colors, and images were getting pretty foggy.

Best wishes on a positive outcome.
Old 11-12-2014, 01:28 AM
Super Moderator

I don't mean to steal Mike's thunder, but according to a recent Facebook post, he's found all his missing stuff. I'll leave it for him to explain!
Old 11-12-2014, 01:56 AM

That's a fairly tight mix of tools, so if they have gone missing, they're for someone who knows their stuff. Probably stolen to fill an order. But having read
Poto's post (try that three times quickly) it appears that there is a happy ending. Nothing makes you feel more violated than someone robbing you.

Regards,

Rob
Old 11-12-2014, 08:47 AM

Happy to report that we did find it all. Seems odd, but after 3 days of searching we looked somewhere both of us swore we looked before and found another box. Lo and behold, it's all there. I can't tell you how relieved I am. First was the $ angle, but that's just money. I could get past that. The bigger issue is that I started to question one of two possibilities:
1. That some of the folks that were working around here did it. That was terrible. They've all been super to work along side of and I didn't like thinking that any of these nice folks could have done it.
2. The even creepier notion that we had someone lurking around.

I can't tell you how happy I am that it's neither of those scenarios.
Old 11-12-2014, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimberMagic View Post
TTB,
Bummer about the missing tools. But on a positive note, cataract surgery changed my life dramatically, and I assume it will once you have your second eye done. I had one eye done in July, and the second in August. I resumed woodworking immediately, after about a 6 month hiatus due to not seeing well enough to consider myself able to work safely.

I still need reading glasses for really close work, and in the shop I use them when I use a ruler or tape measure to mark a cut, but most of the time I'm woodworking without glasses and seeing 20/20. The biggest shock for me was after surgery on the first eye, when I saw crystal-clear images with pure whites and brilliant colors. The eye awaiting surgery saw yellowed whites, and muted colors, and images were getting pretty foggy.

Best wishes on a positive outcome.
Hi Lee,
I'm having the other eye done this morning at 0900. Looking forward to it. I'm so near sighted in my left eye and now with my perfect right eye my depth perception has really suffered. Looking forward to that being set right. It will be a different world for me afterwards. I've been extremely near sighted all of my life and needed to wear glasses. The upside to that was that I could focus on really small items with incredible clarity. While I'm looking forward to having 20/20 vision, the ability to see things closely will require quite an adjustment. I'll also have to buy a decent pair of safety glasses with some sort of reader pane (I'm assuming) for the shop. New stuff! Can't wait.
Mike