talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 06:15 PM

Default Can't see

I was going to post this on TOF but like many others I have been
denied access. It's just as well it would have started another fire storm.
I hate to waste it so I'm posting it here for your amusement.

Last edited by BobSwenson; 08-30-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-20-2008, 06:43 PM

Default Re: Can't see

Well, his loss and our gain. We're glad to have you here, along with your wit and humor.

Nice picture.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-20-2008, 07:23 PM
Inactive Member

Bob, that picture is so apropos to the situation. I never publicly explained why I left TOF, but it was because of all the behind-the-scenes manipulation and deceit, some of which I still can’t discuss (stuff said to me in confidence). Last night I was just noticing how the statistics are being manipulated to hide the fact that participation has dropped off to nearly nothing. In the middle of the night, when only 9 users were logged in, there was 280 guests, and every time I would click on the home page, 8 or so new guests would pop up. 90 guests were apparently just blindly staring at the Tools section table of contents the whole night.

The one that he really got busted on, but I never had the chance to point it out to anyone, was his Karma system that was specifically put in place to highlight my departure. Several people, including myself, had noticed that my negative Karma had jumped by a huge number within the first 2 hours of activation, and the number was actually higher than the total number of users that had been logged on during that same timeframe (guests cannot vote).

His response was that it was impossible for anyone to alter the Karma system, and not even he could tell who voted for whom. Well, one of the people that had noticed how fishy things were looking, actually decided to download the Small Machines Forum software (it’s a free program) and set up a trial forum. There is a table called “smf_log_karma” which lists all member’s activity as it relates to the Karma system. Also, by simply modifying the “smf_members” table, the administrator can simply type in whatever number he wishes into a member’s Karma entry.

This person took some screen captures to show me, and I have compiled them into a single picture below. If he (he-who-must-not-be-named) hadn’t made it so obvious, it would have been a little scary to me, but he made it so obvious that I was rolling on the floor laughing at the lengths he went to, to make people that he was mad at look bad.

To the casual observer, everything looks normal on the surface, but when you know what's going on behind the scenes, or communicating with others off-line, it is absolutely mind boggling how much manipulation was (still is) going on. I have much more info on this, but I don't want to turn this into a witch hunt thread.

P.S. I don't celebrate the self-destruction of that forum at the hands of its administrator. It is incredibly sad to lose what was once the most valuable asset to Festool owners, and it can never be fully replaced--Not even by this forum. I spent 4 days trying to decide whether I should leave or not. My greatest concern was that without the other forum (before I found this one) there was no place where woodworkers could go to locate copies of my manuals and other information before they get released.
Attached Thumbnails
cant-see-karma_all.jpg  

Last edited by RickChristopherson; 08-20-2008 at 10:12 PM.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:18 PM

Rick,
I am so glad you are here. Your knowledge is incredible. You have so much to offer in terms of you skill in woodworking, engineering, and use of tools. I also enjoy the humor.

Eiji
Old 08-20-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobSwenson View Post
I was going to post this on TOF but like many others I have been
denied access. It's just as well it would have started another fire storm.
I hate to wast it so I'm posting it here for your amusement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwas View Post
Well, his loss and our gain. We're glad to have you here, along with your wit and humor.

Nice picture.
I agree "Our Gain"

I've just about had all I can take also. Seems he deleted one of my posts today without a trace.

Scott W.
Old 08-20-2008, 11:46 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Rick, thanks for letting us know some of the extra details. By the way, how many of those "130+ members" who hated you bothered to say so?
Old 08-21-2008, 12:22 AM
Super Moderator

Rick, yours was the first sane post about the administrator of that other place, and I cheered when I read it. Apparently he's now deleting my posts regardless of their content, so why bother?

And while I'd truly love to dig up all the dirt, and roll in it and get salacious pleasure out of it all, I truly think we should stop this in its tracks, and move forward making talkFestool the best forum it can be.

Which means adding a lot of good content, which I have not done yet. So I'll take it upon myself to post some Festool-related content. If we want to bash so-and-so, perhaps we should do it via PMs. Perhaps that's what Friends are for!

P.S. The manipulation of the statistics, etc., makes it even better than I had imagined! And I have a good imagination!
Old 08-21-2008, 12:42 AM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
Rick, thanks for letting us know some of the extra details. By the way, how many of those "130+ members" who hated you bothered to say so?
Silly Rabbit. It was at least 182 people that hated me before the plug got yanked. I think I single-handedly had more votes than all other members combined (+ and -).

I'm just a bad person.:sdrool:

By the way, this was all after I had already left. And while this incident was symptomatic of the reason for leaving, it was not the specific reason. You would have gotten a kick out of the legal letter I sent to him that got my editing privileges restored, with the full disclosure that all of my intellectual property was to be removed from the forum (even though he pretended to be surprised by it). He was holding my intellectual property hostage, and I could not permit that, and that is why I removed all of my postings, under legal authority.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:47 AM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
And while I'd truly love to dig up all the dirt, and roll in it and get salacious pleasure out of it all...
You are right Poto, and this will be my last discussion about it.

So I guess the salacious rolling around in the mud is the explanation for the stuff on your avatar's nose after all, huh?
Old 08-21-2008, 12:54 AM

Rick,

I also would like to collect my things, but I've been blocked, could you PM me the steps needed to do this when you get the chance.

Mirko

PS.. very happy your here