talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2014, 02:00 AM

Default Re: Fred's tools?

Peter,

Honestly I hope that you can reach the family. The value of the tools that Fred accumulated is far beyond what I could imagine. No disrespect to anyone here who would want to buy some, but the prices should be set representative of the tools purchase price, the various nuances, and the collectibility.

Wishing you luck.

Peter
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-01-2014, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks, Peter. I'll see if I can offer to help with the remaining tools. I know that many of us would be happy to purchase them for what they're worth (a lot more than 50%!) just to have a part of Fred's legacy, and a connection to him.
Old 06-01-2014, 01:04 PM

It might be possible that they decided to sell the more "pedestrian" tools to start with since the value is pretty easy to calculate and then at a later date figure out the best way to handle the rare and custom items.

Please keep us updated.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 06-01-2014, 03:01 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

Some "friend" to recommend this dealer.

The sad thing is, if they were sold 50% off, the dealer made something and this daughter got less. She would have been better off taking them to an ebay listing service and paying them 20% of the proceeds to sell them for her.

She may literally be sacrificing 10s of thousands of dollars if the same dealer is handling the hand tools.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 06-01-2014, 11:36 PM

Just thinking about this, maybe this "friend" is not acting on the families behalf and has a key to Fred's house and is just taking some things he figures won't be missed? Hate to think that way, but I know Fred did talk about someone who was always trying to get money from him.

Might be good to contact family just in case they're not a part of this sale?
Old 06-02-2014, 12:26 AM
Super Moderator

I know who you're talking about, Rutager. I'll check into it, though I doubt that this person would have the wherewithal to pull this off.
Old 06-02-2014, 08:13 PM
Super Moderator

Apparently Susan, Fred's ex-wife (who is truly wonderful!) sold all the Festools to a local Festool dealer, who is presumably re-selling them. She didn't sell his hand tools, and won't be moving on those for at least a month. I asked her to let me know when she's planning something so that I could alert all of you. I know that you all want Fred's tools to go to good homes, and many of you would like a tool or two just to remind yourself of Fred. I hope we can make that happen.
Old 06-02-2014, 10:35 PM

Thanks for the information, good to know that everything is on the up and up.

Please keep us in the loop for hand tool sales, the family will get a better deal selling those to knowledgable and decent folks like we have on this site.