talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2013, 05:28 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default re: Fred West

Ditto John.

Fred has cultivated so many friends, although is this context "cultivate" is too crude a word. The right word should include the meanings of conjure and create. I'm at a loss to find that word, if it exists.

Fred has an exceptional mix of amazing qualities. We just can't do without him.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-21-2013, 04:57 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Folks,

A brief update: please read all the way to the end!

So last Friday Fred had his big meeting with his oncologist, with the support of his ex-wife Susan, his sister Maggie, and his sort-of-stepdaughter Mick. Turns out that the biopsy was not definitive - they couldn't figure out what kind of cancer it was.

So on Monday Fred had another biopsy, this time of the liver. He recovered quickly, and is presently in Vermont with his family over Christmas.

So here's where you come in. I mentioned before that Fred will likely need a lot of support if/when he goes through chemotherapy or any surgeries. This will include both supporting him (food, cleaning, shopping, emotional support) and taking care of the dogs (Rocky and Coal: approximately the combined weight of my entire family. No kidding.).

I would like to set up a fund to support some (I'm guessing not all) the expenses of people who come to help Fred out. Fred and I decided that it makes the most sense to send the money to Fred, so that we don't lose in transferring from my account to his.

So here's what I would like you to do:
Please send your donations to Fred's Paypal account (his email it proergo at gmail dot com). Fred can then access this account to help out people who help him out.

I'll try to coordinate people to visit and help Fred out. There are several hotels very nearby (Holiday Inn Express, etc.) that I'd recommend staying at, just so that we don't burden Fred. From what I've learned from other friends going through chemo, it gets progressively harder on the body over the weeks and months. I'd like to arrange for someone to arrive the day before each treatment, to stay for a week or so afterwards. I'll set this up once we know more.

Again: your tasks are
1) donate to Fred's Paypal account to support his helpers
2) contact me to let me know your availability to visit Fred to give him support. You'll need to be comfortable with (very) large dogs.

In the meantime, let's all send Fred and his family our very best wishes and positive thoughts for this season and for the new year.

And I wish you all the very best. May the new year bring joy and love to you all.
Old 12-22-2013, 11:16 AM

Peter,

This sounds like a good idea. I likely will go visit Fred as I'm sure many others will as well. For planing purposes, what airport is the nearest to his house?

Thanks,
Rutager
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-22-2013, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutager View Post

... For planing purposes, what airport is the nearest to his house?
Philadelphia International. It's about twenty miles away.

Old 12-23-2013, 08:08 AM

Hang tough, Fred, hang tough!
Old 12-29-2013, 08:45 AM

Any word on how Fred is doing? He has been in my thoughts since the first post here. And wasn't that a nice gesture by Chris Schwarz on his PW blog .. just a tad of the recognition you are due, Fred.

Please put me onto any news list, if there is one.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Old 12-29-2013, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks Derek. At this point we still don't have a definitive diagnosis. Tomorrow Fred will go to his oncologist to (hopefully) get the results of his second biopsy (liver this time). I'll post something here as soon as I know.

In the meantime, please consider donating to the fund to help Fred's helpers travel to Pennsylvania. We're sending it to Fred's Paypal account, which you can find through his email address: proergo at gmail dot com.

I'll post something tomorrow when I know more.

By the way, Fred REALLY appreciates everyone's comments, concern, and care. He is almost incapable of typing on the computer these days, and feels awful that he can't respond to people. But please know that he is extraordinarily thankful for everyone's thoughts.
Old 12-30-2013, 09:46 PM
Super Moderator

Fred met with his oncologist today, and was diagnosed with Stage IV adrenal cortical cancer. This is quite a rare cancer (~300 cases per year in the US). Because it has spread to other organs, it will be more challenging to treat; treatment options include surgery, radiation therapy, and chemotherapy.

I talked with Fred this morning and he sounded absolutely awful. Apparently he hadn't improved by the time his meeting was over, so his former wife Susan took him to the emergency room and is working on having him admitted (I believe - I haven't spoken with Susan).

I have discovered that I don't have any of the contact information for people who Fred usually updates on his condition, or people who have volunteered to help. To remedy that, I would very much appreciate you sending me your phone and email info to my regular email address: pfranks at ucsd dot edu. This will help me coordinate people to help out, etc.

Thanks in advance for all your thoughts and support for Fred.
Old 01-01-2014, 05:33 PM

Long email sent, Peter.
Old 01-02-2014, 01:00 AM
Super Moderator

Got it. Thanks, Audie!

Fred is still in the hospital, with a great deal of pain and fatigue. I haven't been able to speak with him since Monday. Fingers crossed that he's improving.