talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 06:28 PM

I would not be where I am without Fred. He is a mentor, a teacher, and a friend. I know how Fred is about us talking about him... But he was instrumental in helping me out through some rough fostering period.

Road trip is in order for 2014. Let me know how we can coordinate and fill in any time gaps.

Fight the good fight Fred.
Old 12-05-2013, 07:07 PM

Default re: Fred West

If I can work it out, I would definitely be up for going to West Chester for a few days to help Fred out. The hard part for me is scheduling around my family responsibilities.
One thing is for sure, Fred is in my thoughts and prayers daily.
Old 12-06-2013, 04:05 AM
Super Moderator

I'll read all these to Fred tomorrow when I talk with him. He'll be embarrassed at the kindness of everyone here, but of course we all know that under similar circumstances Fred would be the first - and most generous - to help out.

Thank you to everyone. I'll keep you all posted about what/when is needed. It'll be a while, though we should know more in a week (when the biopsy will be ready for interpretation).
Old 12-07-2013, 03:36 AM

Give Fred our best.

Definitely in my thoughts and prayers. You won't find a kinder person who believes in the beauty of craft and is a friend to the people behind it!

Get better, Fred!

neil
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-13-2013, 06:34 PM

This is sad news, I've been wondering about Fred, as it's a long time since I last read one of his posts. I miss his large sized smileys. My thoughts and prayers go out to him, too.
Be positive, Fred.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 12-14-2013, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

Hi Folks,

Today was the day that Fred was supposed to get his diagnosis/prognosis. He'd had the biopsies done last week, and was hoping to find out what the deal was.

It turned out that there were problems with the biopsies: they can't tell what kind of cancer it is. But they're sure it's cancer. But it seems that it's NOT lung cancer. Which, from my reading, is a good thing.

Unfortunately Fred will have to get some more biopsies done to get a clear diagnosis. This really sucks as it both eats into his Christmas travel plans to see his family, and delays potential treatment.

Regardless of what it is, Fred intends to treat it aggressively. He has confirmed this with his oncologist, who is on board. He will be getting second opinions at one or more of the top cancer centers in the US (Sloan-Kettering, Mayo, Moore in San Diego).

Fred writes occasional "health updates" and sends them to his family and friends. He's asked that I post them here, which I will start doing.

In the meantime, Fred was deeply touched by offers to put money into a paypal account to help defray travel expenses for some people who come to spend time helping him out. We agreed that it would make the most sense to put the money in Fred's account, to save me having to transfer it (and lose another percentage).

Once we have a more clear course of action, I'll start organizing people. If Fred does chemotherapy, he'll be getting progressively weaker - it's the last few treatments that are the worst, and for which he'll need the most help.

I'll keep you all posted as I learn more.
Old 12-15-2013, 04:02 AM

Chris Schwarz put together a fantastic tribute to Fred over at the Lost Art Press blog. I really hope it brings Fred a lot joy!

Check it out here: A Tribute to the Patron of the Hand Tool World | Lost Art Press
Old 12-15-2013, 04:52 PM

Scott, thanks so much for providing that link. It was very moving, and funny, that reflects much of what we know about Fred West or have at least heard of....
The fact that so many tool makers and retailers speak in unison of Fred only means he casts a wide net in the woodworking world.
We'll leave the whole infamous Entertainment Center thing alone...
Get well Fred, you're way too famous now to quit on us.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:12 PM
Administrator

That's great, thanks for the link, Scott. I'll admit that I got a little misty eyed reading it, because it's all true.

I don't think anyone knows how many good friends Fred has, and how many folks he has helped. He and I have talked about it many times, but just like with his tools, he lost count a long time ago.

Old 12-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

It is always a pleasure to be around Fred. He has overcome adversity in the past and I'm sure that he will beat his current adversary, as well. He has such a positive attitude, you'd think he was Norman Vincent Peale in disguise.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959