Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2008, 01:06 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Sesquipedalianism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirko View Post
Peter,

Was that the sketch they did, with the guy in drag?...

Mirko
Not sure that particular sketch had a guy in drag, but many (most?) of their sketches did. Most of those guys have done pretty well in the states since those heady times in Canada.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:50 AM

Peter,

I was setting up a joke for you.. to confirm, that the shows where pretty much about them in drag.
Do you think Kids In The Hall's humor could hold up well today? I think it could, But who knows? Now a-days people are much more likely to ignore the humor because they are desensitized by the internet and reality tv...what ever that means.

At the time it was aired in the 80's, there really was'nt anything like it on American tv.

Mirko
Old 08-28-2008, 03:56 AM

Kids in the Hall! Epic..

"Sausages?!"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-28-2008, 04:48 AM

Richard Feynman was a brilliant physicist who had a talent for explaining very complicated aspects of physics in a manner that college freshmen and sophomores could understand. So much so that a series of his lectures delivered in the early 60's are still used as textbooks all over the world.

He was approached a few years later and asked to write a freshman level explanation of another psychics concept. He came back a week later and said "I can not explain this at a freshman level, so I must not understand it yet."

Jim
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-28-2008, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

That's it, exactly, BugMuddy. You can't explain what you don't understand. I've discovered that time after time. One of the hardest things I learned as a young professor was that I didn't need to (couldn't) have the answer to every question. That it wasn't a personal failure to say, "I don't know". Believe me, it takes a lot of guts to say that in front of a class of graduate students. I'm really good at it now!

Back to the point, I have all my students give talks in my lab meetings each week, to explain their research. It's a pretty good diagnostic for finding out what the understand, and what they don't.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Sorry for missing your straight line, Mirko. Pretty lame of me!

One of my favourite (with a "u" because they're Canadian) skits had one of them being some sort of wizard with his evil succubus (played by another Kids in the Hall member). They were both very not evil. As they were planning their deeds, they'd finally come up with something they thought was really bad, and the succubus would say, "Eeeeeviiiiilll!" for something that really should have been "Slightly Naughty".

We've now adopted the "eeeevviiilll" at home, and use it all the time for silly things.

And how 'bout the chicken lady?
Old 08-28-2008, 03:53 PM

For anyone else who was wondering who the Kids in the Hall were let alone the Chicken Lady .....Here's a small sample (Sorry during my sheltered upbringing in the UK I must have missed this)

Old 08-28-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
That's it, exactly, BugMuddy. You can't explain what you don't understand. I've discovered that time after time. One of the hardest things I learned as a young professor was that I didn't need to (couldn't) have the answer to every question. That it wasn't a personal failure to say, "I don't know". Believe me, it takes a lot of guts to say that in front of a class of graduate students. I'm really good at it now!

Back to the point, I have all my students give talks in my lab meetings each week, to explain their research. It's a pretty good diagnostic for finding out what the understand, and what they don't.

There is a great Mark Twain quote, as all M.T. quotes are always great, that goes someting like, "I answered the question without hesitation. I said, "I don't know." "

The greatest explanation of anything ever explained was Einstein's simple explanation of the theory of relativity, "If you sit on a hot stove for a minute, it seems like an hour. If you sit in the company of a beautiful woman for an hour, it seems like a minute."
Old 08-28-2008, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

Great quotes, Greg. Thanks for that. You've a pithy quote for every occasion!

Colin, thanks for that! What a hoot. Sure brings back memories. The houses and landscape looked like the country outside Toronto, where I spent a lot of time. Don't remember that weird Chicken Lady, though.

And to all the Americans: pay attention to how she used "eh?" It's a very important word in Canada, and Americans don't seem to know where it goes in a sentence!
Old 08-28-2008, 05:32 PM

Americans seem to say "huh?"
To speak Canadian just replace "huh?" with "eh"

Mirko