talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 06:47 PM

Default Re: Sesquipedalianism

Rent the movie Finding Forester sometime. I think it provides a nice fictional rendering of Peter's perspective.

Having said that, we should be hust a little cautious about attacking intellectualism. That was the original impetus to the Cultural Revolution.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:15 PM
Super Moderator

Hey Greg - I want to be clear that I'm in no way attacking intellectualism, or, indeed, elitism (which I think is great). I'm attacking pseudo-intellectualism that manifests itself as intellectual arrogance and impenetrable prose. Like this.

I am greatly in favor of intellectuals, and in particular curiosity. I strongly feel that if our government recognized the power of wondering about things, the world would be in a much better situation. And I think the fact that we're all here, sharing ideas about a common love, is a good indication that we're all intellectuals in that broad sense.

No - it's the people who's sole aim is to prove that they're smarter than you that I hate. And I know lots of them (heck, I'm even related to some!). I suspect that all of you know some too. They hide out at third-rate colleges and universities, trolling for victims. And they're almost impossible to defeat, because they do know more than you - about 1 thing.

Give them a table saw and some wood, ask them to make a table, and then count their fingers...
Old 08-19-2008, 07:19 PM
Super Moderator

I would also like to point out that I feel that I am grossly overpaid relative to my contribution to society. I think the most important people in society are public school teachers. Who does your kid (our future) see more than anyone else? Their teacher. I think teachers should be paid more than doctors and lawyers. It should be an elite job for only the best people. That doesn't mean people with the most degrees. If you really want to effect change in society, get the teachers organized... It'll take a while, but it could be effective.

It must be rant day in the Poto household. I got deleted over at that other place, and I'm taking it out on you wonderful people. Sorry!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:53 PM

Apre la pluie, le beau temps
As one of the deleted ones you guys make me feel all warm and fuzzy.
Bob

Many moons ago I had Per it tow in a kids clothing store in NYC, looking for husky clothing for him, he was five, when the salesman said to me, "Ya know
mista, he talks like a little old man". It hasn't been easy
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-19-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
It must be rant day in the Poto household. I got deleted over at that other place, and I'm taking it out on you wonderful people. Sorry!

I can delete you here Poto and make you feel at home?
Old 08-19-2008, 08:57 PM
Super Moderator

Actually, making me feel at home would be pointing out to me that I don't clean up after myself. Or get those little jobs done. Or wash the dishes.

Oooo - I feel so warm and cozy!
Old 08-19-2008, 09:03 PM

Peter,
Now you mention it your display does look a little smeared from this side ......and that keyboard..........
Old 08-19-2008, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Yes dear.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Hey Greg - I want to be clear that I'm in no way attacking intellectualism, or, indeed, elitism (which I think is great).

snipped
And they're almost impossible to defeat, because they do know more than you - about 1 thing.

Give them a table saw and some wood, ask them to make a table, and then count their fingers...

My remark about the Cultural Revolution was a bit tongue in cheek, but I couldn't find the right emoticon (and couldn't think of any big, long words either).

I am not sure my take on elitism would deserve much reverence, FWIW.

On the issue of using the tablesaw: I have machined various and sundry metal parts over my career, to the point that I can pick up just about any such part, know how it was made (or should be made), and could probably do it myself. When I meet new folks and they ask me how long I have been doing what I do they are a little stunned to hear "Forty years."
Old 08-20-2008, 01:56 AM
Super Moderator

Especially because you're only 35, right!?!

I was having fun along those lines in Hong Kong in June. My Hong Kongese students kept remarking on my skills with chopsticks. I looked at them and said, "I've been using chopsticks since before you were born!"

I know you were being tongue-in-cheek about the Cultural Revolution, but apparently I had a rant pent up that just wasn't going to appreciate the subtleties of your delivery. Deep breaths.

Colin - think you can find me a good "rant" emoticon?