talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 07:44 PM

Default Re: Sesquipedalianism

Duh.

"There are audiences for whom perfervid sesquipedalianism is transcendentally apt."

Stole it :tigersmile:

Bob
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-18-2008, 08:47 PM

Burp! :p
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-18-2008, 08:48 PM

Or, more in the theme of the thread,

odoriferous eructations of gaseousness

:p
Old 08-19-2008, 12:18 PM

Wally, you have a way with words.
Old 08-19-2008, 01:08 PM

Oh Boy.

Ever try to do a glue up wearing elbow patched tweed and a knit tie?

Its cumbersome at best.

Smoke and mirrors folks. I may suffer from the effects of a commiepinkoelitist
education, occasionally by force of its own will it bleeds through.

But dang it, did you ever listen to a pretentious academic shmuck for more then 20 seconds?
Off course not, at least I don't.

Besides you very bright folks can tell if one is writing for you, the reader,
or typing with one hand.

Which brings us to Mr. Webers Vernacularian point.
Redneckism as a schtick.
This little character tool allows me to mangle the syntax to my hearts desire, and communicate in as few words as possible.

Look up words? No fun. I say make em up as you go along.

One more thing, Thanks.

Per
Old 08-19-2008, 01:46 PM

Bravo . . .
The wordsmith has been

and for decades into the future, they wondered of his words. Spoke them, wrote them, studied them, looking for the hidden meanings. Illumination. In the end, nobody knew what the hell it meant.
Old 08-19-2008, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWeber View Post

... Spoke them, wrote them, studied them, looking for the hidden meanings. Illumination. In the end, nobody knew what the hell it meant.

A Bob Dylan song?
Old 08-19-2008, 04:55 PM
Super Moderator

Not only do I listen to pretentious academic shmucks (I'd have written "schmucks") for more that 20 seconds, I am one!

But I have to say, there's schmucks and there's schmucks. I, too, would zone out listening to someone go on about the meaning of the word "XXX" to the "fill-in-a sequence-of-your-favorite-big-and-unrelated-words-here".

As Bob made clear to me in another thread, you have to know your audience.

Academics is a curious field: fierce competition for very little. Having grown up in academia (kind of a family business) I've concluded that it's all driven by one thing:

Insecurity

To get promoted in academia you have to produce scholarly works. It helps (but is not necessary) if people read them. Academics feel a powerful need to prove that they're better than the next guy, particularly if they aren't. Furthermore, if they thought about it, they'd realize that the sum total of their career productivity is about as useful to the world as pimples. So they fight bitterly amongst themselves, and attempt to baffle others with rhetorical techniques and big words, just to ensure that everyone knows where they stand in the hierarchy.

There's also a built-in arrogance that develops in professors who are always professing. They gradually assume that everyone wants to learn from them. Luckily I have a wife who won't put up with that BS - no matter how many Nobel prizes I win, I still have to take out the garbage.

Academics often lose sight of the important things - helping people learn. Mentoring. Advancing our knowledge of the world.

It's refreshing being here among some clearly really smart people, where my degrees have no cachet, and I am judged by my content and contributions. It's good training to pay more attention to the message, and less to how it's delivered. Very counter to my "real" job.

Thanks for letting me rant.

I would also like to point out the wonderfully pithy, poetic prose of Mirko. I think a collected works of Per and Mirko would do the world a world of good!

Not to mention Bob. Per had to get it somewhere! It's great being here with you guys!
Old 08-19-2008, 05:57 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York

Nice rant Peter!

I had to read it twice though. I kinda missed the second half the first go 'round while considering the benefits of pimples. The best I came up with was postponing the natural result of sexual activity. Hope that doesn't dilute your argument.

Maybe it marks me as superficial but I'm kind of a sucker for style. While your writing is certainly professional quality that's not as appealing, "know what I mean"? You could take some lessons from Wally.

I wish Mirko would write more, he's got potential.

Bob Swenson seems to be too multifaceted to settle into a single style, even after 82 years. We'll just have to wait a little longer.
Old 08-19-2008, 06:31 PM

Poto, I, for one, was falling out of my chair in laughter.
Who knew the thread would go so well?