talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2013, 02:46 AM
Okami's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,725
Default Alien or Mermaid, Greenland

My wife showed me this this morning

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2013, 03:04 AM
Poto's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 8,999
Default Re: Alien or Mermaid, Greenland

I'm going with "elaborate hoax". I think I know all the research submarines in the world (there aren't very many), and I don't know any that look anything like that one. It's all the wrong shape, and the glass is huge. There's only one sub that has that much glass, and that's the Johnson Sealink, but it doesn't look like that.

But cool video, nonetheless!
__________________
I don't have as many Festools as Fred. Or Marcou's, or Brese's, or Lie-Nielsen's, or Lee Valley's, or Blue Spruce's, or Harold and Saxon's, or...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2013, 03:38 AM
Okami's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 2,725
Default Re: Alien or Mermaid, Greenland

I guessed as much, Potosan.
Cool video none the less..and we never know for sure what's lurking in the depths of our oceans
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2013, 04:22 AM
Ausrob's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 512
Default Re: Alien or Mermaid, Greenland

Naah! It's a Koala in a wet suit.

Regards,

Rob
__________________
http://www.damnfinefurniture.com
I don't have as many tools as most people here...but Gee I've got some pretty hardwoods!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2013, 01:08 PM
Leakyroof's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,368
Default Re: Alien or Mermaid, Greenland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
I'm going with "elaborate hoax". I think I know all the research submarines in the world (there aren't very many), and I don't know any that look anything like that one. It's all the wrong shape, and the glass is huge. There's only one sub that has that much glass, and that's the Johnson Sealink, but it doesn't look like that.

But cool video, nonetheless!
Thanks Peter, Thanks alot...
There goes Paul Marcel's dream of Megan Fox as his personal mermaid....
Once again, Science and Facts ruining it for the rest of us.....
__________________
Some t-shirts, a hat, some free pencils,....... way, way, too many tools,...... 1 TOOLIE, (thanks RWeber!)but mostly, a satisfied customer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-07-2013, 07:54 PM
Wonderwino's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Posts: 2,895
Default Re: Alien or Mermaid, Greenland

Here is some much better footage:

Real Mermaids Swimming Together! - YouTube

__________________
Water separates the people of the world; wine unites them.

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2013, 10:52 AM
PaulMarcel's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Posts: 817
Send a message via Skype™ to PaulMarcel
Default Re: Alien or Mermaid, Greenland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leakyroof View Post
Thanks Peter, Thanks alot...
There goes Paul Marcel's dream of Megan Fox as his personal mermaid....
Once again, Science and Facts ruining it for the rest of us.....
You did that to get me to crawl out of my cave, didntchya? Well it worked and I don't see Megan in the image.. unless I close my eyes

So, speaking of the mermaid, I write a mapping application at my day job. My boss, also a woodworker, also teases me about Megan. I recently added a feature to the application to use custom tile sets. To tease me, he took a photo of Megan, geolocated her on Les Grands Tetons (strategically), then ran the geo-TIFF image through a tile mill. So with that tile set loaded and you casually browse to Wyoming at around zoom level 10... poof, awesome crop circles.

This boss is a keeper...
__________________
Visit my blog for Festool adventures.
Shirt size: L Twitter: @HalfInchShy
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-10-2013, 01:47 PM
Leakyroof's Avatar
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,368
Default Re: Alien or Mermaid, Greenland

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMarcel View Post
You did that to get me to crawl out of my cave, didntchya? Well it worked and I don't see Megan in the image.. unless I close my eyes

So, speaking of the mermaid, I write a mapping application at my day job. My boss, also a woodworker, also teases me about Megan. I recently added a feature to the application to use custom tile sets. To tease me, he took a photo of Megan, geolocated her on Les Grands Tetons (strategically), then ran the geo-TIFF image through a tile mill. So with that tile set loaded and you casually browse to Wyoming at around zoom level 10... poof, awesome crop circles.

This boss is a keeper...
I believe that is known as an ENABLER....just saying
__________________
Some t-shirts, a hat, some free pencils,....... way, way, too many tools,...... 1 TOOLIE, (thanks RWeber!)but mostly, a satisfied customer
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 08:18 AM.