talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2013, 10:19 PM
Founding Member

Default Scariest med I have ever been on - antibiotic Levofloxacin

Ladies & Germs,

This is slightly askew from woodworking but we have some wonderfully knowledgeable people on this board so I am taking a shot. Thank you to all and anyone that reads or replies.

Six days ago I started having congestion in my chest reminiscent of my 25+ years of asthmatic bronchitis. Something I had not had in well over a decade. A couple of days of this and I called my doctor. She had me pick up some Robitussin CF and take it every four hours. By yesterday, it had not helped at all and my lung congestion was worse.

I spoke with her again and she called in an antibiotic called Levofloxacin. Then she said to me that this was a short course antibiotic at five days. However, she stressed that I was NOT to exercise or do anything that would have me lifting any weights or do any running. The reason is because one of the side effects is rupturing or swelling one or more of your tendons. Usually it is one of the Achilles. I had never heard of anything like this before with an antibiotic.

I went and picked up my prescription, came back and took the first pill. Then I read the THREE page print out that the pharmacy gave me. A ruptured tendon is just the tip of the iceberg and really minor in many cases. I have copied a portion out of Wikipedia and highlighted some of the good stuff. I would really love to know if anyone else knows anything about this med or the family it comes from, flouroquinolone.

"Subsequent to this, on 25 June 2007, the FDA required the manufacturer to add an additional warning to the package inserts that stated that "Other serious and sometimes fatal events, some due to hypersensitivity, and some due to uncertain etiology, have been reported in patients receiving therapy with quinolones, including levofloxacin."[48][49] The serious adverse effects that may occur as a result of levofloxacin therapy include irreversible peripheral neuropathy,[41][50] spontaneous tendon rupture and tendonitis,[51][52][53][54][55] QTc prolongation/torsades de pointes,[51] toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN)[51] and Stevens-Johnson syndrome, erythema multiforme,[56] severe central nervous system disorders (CNS), including seizures[57] and clostridium difficile associated disease (CDAD: Pseudomembranous colitis)[58][59][60][61] photosensitivity/phototoxicity reactions,[56][62] fatal hypoglycemia, kidney damage, rhabdomyolysis (muscle wasting),[44][45][46] as well as anaphylactoid reactions[63][64] and myasthenia crisis.[65]
Additional serious adverse reactions include acute pancreatitis,[66][67] temporary as well as permanent loss of vision, irreversible double vision,[68] impaired color vision, exanthema, abdominal pain, malaise, drug fever,[69] dysaesthesia and eosinophilia. Pseudotumor cerebri, commonly known as idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH), (also referred to as increased intracranial pressure),[70] has been reported to occur as a serious adverse reaction to levofloxacin. Another serious adverse effect is autoimmune hemolytic anemia.[71]
Older patients may have an increased risk of tendinopathy (including rupture), especially with concomitant corticosteroid use, and such patients may also be more susceptible to prolongation of the QT interval.[9] Patients with known prolongation, those with hypokalemia, or being treated with other drugs that prolong the QT interval should avoid the use of Levaquin. Hematologic reactions (including agranulocytosis, thrombocytopenia), and renal toxicities may occur after multiple doses.[9][52]"

Thank you all again,

Fred
Kapex, OF2200,Domino,TS 75, Trion PS 300, RO 150, RO 90, ETS 150/5, ETS 150/3, DTS 400, RS 400, LS 130, RS 2, Deltex 93, RAS 115, CT 33, CT 22, CT 26 CT Midi, OF 1400, MFK 700, C 12, LR 32 3, Shinex, MFT/3s, 3 MFT 1080s, WCR 1000, UG-KA-SET, 10 Sysports, 2 Walko's, Marcou's J20A, S20A, M12, S45, S55A, VSP 40, Brese 650-55J, Sauer & Steiner XSNo.4, SS Jointer, A5 Desert Ironwood and #4 Damascus, Knew Concepts 8 inch Fretsaw, Knew Concepts 5 inch Titanium Fretsaw, Hammer K3 48x48, Hammer A3 31
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-13-2013, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Scariest med I have ever been on - antibiotic Levofloxacin

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post

... she called in an antibiotic called Levofloxacin. Then she said to me that this was a short course antibiotic at five days. However, she stressed that I was NOT to exercise or do anything that would have me lifting any weights or do any running. The reason is because one of the side effects is rupturing or swelling one or more of your tendons. Usually it is one of the Achilles. I had never heard of anything like this before with an antibiotic.

I went and picked up my prescription, came back and took the first pill. Then I read the THREE page print out that the pharmacy gave me. A ruptured tendon is just the tip of the iceberg and really minor in many cases. I have copied a portion out of Wikipedia and highlighted some of the good stuff. I would really love to know if anyone else knows anything about this med or the family it comes from, flouroquinolone.

"Subsequent to this, on 25 June 2007, the FDA required the manufacturer to add an additional warning to the package inserts that stated that "Other serious and sometimes fatal events, some due to hypersensitivity, and some due to uncertain etiology, have been reported in patients receiving therapy with quinolones, including levofloxacin."[48][49] The serious adverse effects that may occur as a result of levofloxacin therapy include irreversible peripheral neuropathy,[41][50] spontaneous tendon rupture and tendonitis,[51][52][53][54][55] QTc prolongation/torsades de pointes,[51] toxic epidermal necrolysis (TEN)[51] and Stevens-Johnson syndrome, erythema multiforme,[56] severe central nervous system disorders (CNS), including seizures[57] and clostridium difficile associated disease (CDAD: Pseudomembranous colitis)[58][59][60][61] photosensitivity/phototoxicity reactions,[56][62] fatal hypoglycemia, kidney damage, rhabdomyolysis (muscle wasting),[44][45][46] as well as anaphylactoid reactions[63][64] and myasthenia crisis.[65]
Additional serious adverse reactions include acute pancreatitis,[66][67] temporary as well as permanent loss of vision, irreversible double vision,[68] impaired color vision, exanthema, abdominal pain, malaise, drug fever,[69] dysaesthesia and eosinophilia. Pseudotumor cerebri, commonly known as idiopathic intracranial hypertension (IIH), (also referred to as increased intracranial pressure),[70] has been reported to occur as a serious adverse reaction to levofloxacin. Another serious adverse effect is autoimmune hemolytic anemia.[71]
Older patients may have an increased risk of tendinopathy (including rupture), especially with concomitant corticosteroid use, and such patients may also be more susceptible to prolongation of the QT interval.[9] Patients with known prolongation, those with hypokalemia, or being treated with other drugs that prolong the QT interval should avoid the use of Levaquin. Hematologic reactions (including agranulocytosis, thrombocytopenia), and renal toxicities may occur after multiple doses.[9][52]"

Fred, with possible side effects like that, I think I'd rather have the chest congestion.

There must be another, safer antibiotic.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:02 PM

I have always wondered when "DEATH" became a side effect.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:06 PM

Sounds like a call to your Dr might be in order. Especially if you are using "subcutaneous corticosteroids" which sounds a lot like the shots many of us older folk take for bad knees.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 04-13-2013, 11:16 PM

Fred,

I would speak with my pharmacist. They are better trained on drugs than the doctor is.
Old 04-13-2013, 11:37 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I don't think I would take this if you are home alone. (Coal & Rocky especially do NOT count!) If I were you, I'd have someone else walk the dogs, sharpen the chisels & etc. until you are off this for several days. When it said "no running," I wasn't too worried about you, but then you have all those stairs and the dogs are bigger than you. It might be a good time to get reacquainted with you "entertainment center," and enjoy some old movies.

I hope you get well soon!!!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 04-13-2013, 11:49 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredWest View Post

I went and picked up my prescription, came back and took the first pill. Then I read the THREE page print out that the pharmacy gave me.
Glad you are still here and able to post this!

Doesn't sound like anything I would want to take. The last antibiotic I took made me so sick later that night that my wife wanted to take me to the emergency room. I was having diarrhea and vomiting and didn't know whether I should sit on or kneel at the toilet. I told her that I wasn't going anywhere in our car...

Anyway, hope you don't experience any ill side effects from the pill you took.

Get better soon, my friend, and know we all hope you get better soon.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:57 PM

Jeepers dude. Agree with all the above concern expressed. That sounds like a lot. I'll ask the resident RN here in a couple hours when she returns. The QTc thing caught my eye. That's what my drugs were trying to elongate. But that Torsades thing, that'll kill ya.
Sounds like amputation is the safer alternative.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:41 AM

Wow, Fred!
I just asked my wife about Levofloxacin. She is a pharmacist.
She said the most common side effect from this drug is diarrhoea and rashes.
She hasn't heard of any cases of tendons rupturing. She said if you do feel any pain or experience any swelling in the Achilles area stop taking the drug.
My wife mentioned, every drug ( even the most simple drug ) usually has a long list of side effects, with most of them being extremely rare. The reason is to stop any potential legal action in the unlikely event of the side effect happening.

Last edited by Okami; 04-14-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:56 AM

Fred,

Just to be on the safe side, you should sit out tomorrows marathon- I know you were the favorite and lots of girls where showing up just to see you run, but think of your career man!

Best of luck on your recovery,
Rutager