talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2013, 08:18 PM

Default Lie Nielsen event in Atlanta

Just got back from the LN event in Atlanta at Highland Hardware

It was a good event. Chris Schwartz was on hand with his portable bench top and the dutch tool chest. Both were very slick pieces of furniture.

The LN portion was well done. I don't think there were as many people as the event last year. But, this year did not have Ron Brese, Czech Edge or Chris Black.

I did get to meet Scott Meeks which was very cool. Wow, the pictures of his planes do not do them justice. The 36" jointer is amazing. The hand hold fits like a glove. I am stoked about my class now.
Old 02-03-2013, 02:51 AM
Super Moderator

Default Re: Lie Nielsen event in Atlanta

Sounds a lot better than our LN event last weekend. Hardly anyone there, including the LN folks. Nobody I recognized, and only one non-LN booth (chairs - boring). I was pretty bummed. At least Deneb came out last year. This year, nothing. They didn't even get Kevin Drake down for it.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:31 AM

Looking forward to Portland's event next Friday.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-03-2013, 06:13 AM

I think the best events are when they are held at a neutral location. The best LN event in my area was at PeachState Lumber. They had about 8-9 booths, with Woodcraft and Highland Hardware; both are distributors for LN. Then a few individual makers including BenchCrafted. The last two years where they are held at the store, they are smaller and not as well attended. I think you loose half the customer base because people are loyal to one store or the other.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:17 PM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Sounds a lot better than our LN event last weekend. Hardly anyone there, including the LN folks. Nobody I recognized, and only one non-LN booth (chairs - boring). I was pretty bummed. At least Deneb came out last year. This year, nothing. They didn't even get Kevin Drake down for it.
Part of the problem with the San Diego show is lack of attendance. Kevin mentioned it to me 2 years ago. I think the 600+ mile trip got to him this year. I just made it and mentioned it to him when I saw him up there. I'm assuming that he didn't think he'd get a decent ROI. I also told Deneb that the San Diego Fine Woodworkers weren't putting out the word. They didn't put it out again this year either. I even wrote to the pres. to remind him of the event, but nothing. No email or calendar. Can't blame them if they don't show up in the future......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 02-03-2013, 04:08 PM
Super Moderator

Weird, isn't it, Michael? All these wonderful woodworkers in San Diego, and no one's getting the word out. It's ridiculous.
Old 02-03-2013, 04:15 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

I think the economy as well as lack of interest is starting to hit. The cost of travel & accommodations has risen considerably over the last 5 years. I can't imagine what it cost LN to ship all their crates and personnel 3,000 mile to sell a few tools. For Kevin, that is a long day's drive each way. (I drove 920 miles each way to Cincinnati for WIA in one day in a '93 ford with no cruise! )

A common theme at many of these events is; "How do we get the video game generation interested in woodworking?"

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 02-04-2013, 05:06 AM

Send a message via ICQ to TahoeTwoBears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poto View Post
Weird, isn't it, Michael? All these wonderful woodworkers in San Diego, and no one's getting the word out. It's ridiculous.
Well, we all get another bite of the apple when they come back to Sierra Madre. I know it's a bit of a drive, but we ought to organize everyone so that we can make a lunch out of it. Anyone up for it?
Old 02-04-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post
I think the economy as well as lack of interest is starting to hit. The cost of travel & accommodations has risen considerably over the last 5 years. I can't imagine what it cost LN to ship all their crates and personnel 3,000 mile to sell a few tools. For Kevin, that is a long day's drive each way. (I drove 920 miles each way to Cincinnati for WIA in one day in a '93 ford with no cruise! )

A common theme at many of these events is; "How do we get the video game generation interested in woodworking?"
I attended the Hartford event a few months ago and was thinking what it must cost to ship the wares and pay the help. There just didn't seem to be enough traffic to justify the expensive. Could have just been the time I was there... the first day at opening. As far as selling tools... they didn't have any of the three or four items I wanted at the time.

What the show did do for me though, was allow me to touch and feel their complete line of tools. Over the past several weeks since then I've ordered over a dozen items. Had I not been able to experience them first hand I more than likely wouldn't be buying any.

So in the long run, this probably is about exposure for them (what are their other means of sales?... the factory store, a couple of authorized retailers and online). You would think in a state as densely populated as Connecticut there would be a retailer where you could go in and get the experience as the show. Something like a Highland Woodworking?

By the way... your round trip in one day= there is something wrong there. Just sayin' :-)

~
Old 02-04-2013, 03:57 PM

I agree. I am so glad that Lie Nielsen is willing to do shows. Even more appreciative that we have two dealers in Atlanta!

Now, if we could only get a good woodworking school.