talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-24-2012, 10:26 PM

Default Bourbon?

So I know there are some rum, scotch, etc. folks on tF. How about a good bourbon?

Seth

Last edited by SRSemenza; 11-25-2012 at 12:53 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-24-2012, 11:14 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas
Default Re: Bourbon?

Lately I've had Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace which are both quite tasty. You can't go wrong with Maker's Mark, which is on of my all time favorites.

Last year at WIA, a bunch of the fellas had a bourbon tasting courtesy of Joraft and they may have a broader spectrum of experience, if they can remember...

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 11-25-2012, 12:56 AM

There were a lot of testers but only 2 testees.... say that aloud
No, dont
Makers and Woodford Reserve. Both were fine. I liked the Woodford just a touch better, IIRC Joraft leaned towards the Makers.
Old 11-25-2012, 01:19 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post

Lately I've had Knob Creek and Buffalo Trace which are both quite tasty. You can't go wrong with Maker's Mark, which is on of my all time favorites.

Last year at WIA, a bunch of the fellas had a bourbon tasting courtesy of Joraft and they may have a broader spectrum of experience, if they can remember...
I agree on the Maker's Mark, you can't go wrong with that.

At the WIA we tasted that and Labrot & Graham's "Woodford Reserve". It was a tough choice but I gave a slight edge to Maker's.

All American whiskeys use essentially the same recipe and methods, although the grain mixture will vary. Most bourbons are made from 70%-80% corn, the legal requirement is a minimum of 51%. Whiskeys with "bourbon" on the label generally come from Kentucky. The name comes from Bourbon County, Kentucky, which was named after a French royal family.

Jack Daniels proudly identifies as a Tennessee whiskey, as does George Dickel. Both distilleries make whiskey that is for all intents and purposes identical to bourbon, with one important difference. After distillation, the raw whiskey is filtered through maple charcoal. The two distilleries each have their own version of this so-called Lincoln County Process, but essentially maple wood is burned into charcoal, which is loaded into a tall vat, through which the unaged whiskey slowly filters before going into barrels for aging. Other than this process, Tennessee whiskey is made identically to bourbon, indeed, both Jack Daniels and George Dickel conform to all standards of identity for bourbon whiskey. Over the years, Daniels and Dickel have become established as “Tennessee whiskey,” a type separate from bourbon and rye.

Say what you want, pay what you want, but my all time favorite whiskey has always been good ole' Jack Daniel's Old No. 7 Tennessee sour mash.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:40 AM

I am curious as to what you think of the flavor consistency of MM (Makers Mark not MultiMaster ) ? I was reading reviews that seem to suggest that batch to batch there can be quite a difference.

Interesting that what I would have thought was probably the standard "off the shelf" bourbon is a prime / top choice.

Seth
Old 11-25-2012, 01:55 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRSemenza View Post

... I am curious as to what you think of the flavor consistency of MM (Makers Mark not MultiMaster ) ? I was reading reviews that seem to suggest that batch to batch there can be quite a difference.
Seth, I've tasted from many different bottles of MM in recent years and not noticed any difference in quality or taste. But, maybe my taste for whiskey is not as refined as the "reviewers".

Quote:

... Interesting that what I would have thought was probably the standard "off the shelf" bourbon is a prime / top choice.
I think it's just like with wine, it's about personal taste, and not necessarily about price or good reviews.

One of my favorite red wines is imported from France, and it can often be found in supermarkets on sale for as little as $6.99 a bottle:

Old 11-25-2012, 03:07 AM

I figured as much, but it is not an area of tasting that I know much about. So true with wines though.

Seth
Old 11-25-2012, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Quote:

I figured as much, but it is not an area of tasting that I know much about. So true with wines though.
Seth, if you want the best of any brand of whiskey get a bottle of their "single barrel".

Whiskey is generally produced in batches where all the barrels are blended together in one big vat after aging. Some barrels will be better than others, but it all averages out to be pretty good (hopefully).

Single barrel is hand selected whiskey that has developed an above average taste during aging, it stands on its own. The best of the best.

Old 11-26-2012, 05:16 AM

I am a Crown guy but that photo of JD single barrel looks very inviting. I visited the JD distillery and went for the tour, highly recommended.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:22 PM

Tried the Makers Mark. Pretty good. I could go for smoother though. Now I have a base line to compare with .... so now I need to pick another

Seth