talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2008, 08:00 AM
Oakcin6591

Default Just added a group for People interested in Inlays and Marquetry

Hi, Just added a group for People interested in Inlays and Marquetry. I can not add much info until fall, but I figured I would get it started now.

Go to quick links then click social groups.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-16-2008, 08:03 AM

Default Re: Just added a group for People interested in Inlays and Marquetry

Thanks and it is a good start. This is the first social group on the forum. And I can think of no one finer to start it!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-16-2008, 08:09 AM
Oakcin6591

Thanks sir!

I think Inlays and Marquetry can appeal to woodworkers in any specialty from remodeling to furniture making. And Marquetry can be done with very little initial outlay and tools. I started Marquetry with some veneer samples and a razor blade.

I will add the definitions of Inlays and marquetry, they are different and some other background info on both the crafts in the next couple of weeks. This group is not necessarily about floor inlays at all, just a starting point for how to make your current project even better using these simple to learn crafts.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:17 AM

What I like about inlays is they can be applied to any piece of wood and really bring some beauty out of the piece, the whole project, or the joinery, depending on how the inlay is done.

And like you say, most of it is easier than most woodworkers think. I seen a podcast on some inlays on a table leg that got me thinking about it. I still haven't actually done it because I'm trying to find the right widths to fit the dados for the inlays.
Old 08-16-2008, 08:27 AM
Oakcin6591

There are as many different methods as there are people too. I hope to gain some insight by seeing how others approach inlay work.
Old 08-16-2008, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwas View Post
Thanks and it is a good start. This is the first social group on the forum. And I can think of no one finer to start it!

I agree!

Nick it's great having you here. And I'm looking forward to your contributions.

I always enjoyed reading the things you wrote over at the other place.
Old 08-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Hi Nick - what a great idea. I just finished a bunch of window frames in which I inlaid a dog paw print in maple. It was pretty complicated (for me, not for you). I'll make up a post of how I did it, and you can tell me the right way!
Old 08-16-2008, 06:26 PM
Founding Member

Nick,

It's great to see you here! It's also nice to see that you created a special interest group!

Best regards,

Dan.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakcin6591 View Post
Hi, Just added a group for People interested in Inlays and Marquetry. I can not add much info until fall, but I figured I would get it started now.

Go to quick links then click social groups.
Hi Nick!

Good to see you here buddy.

Scott W.