talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 12:42 PM

Default Oh Dear!

I was looking for Surian (Asian Red Cedar) on the web and drew up a mob called Pacific Timbers in QLD. Never heard of them before, but if you look at this and then look at my web page, there's something awfully familiar about the item they have on their webpage!!!!
You never know..do you?
Ha!!!

Regards,

Rob
Old 10-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Default re: Oh Dear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausrob View Post

You never know..do you?
I call that a sincere form of flattery.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:28 PM
Super Moderator

Location: Grew up in Peekskill, NY; Now living in Northwest Kansas

That's incredible, Rob! They matched the grain on the one you built perfectly!

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-03-2012, 04:15 AM

They even got the picture frame right. Attention to detail. I always appreciate that.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 10-03-2012, 06:55 AM

So I looked at it and thought, "Now that's a nice Sideboard" Then I thought "wait a minute I've seen that one before". Looked out the office door and there it was!! EEk! People tell me that these people have breached Copyright.. but I don't know if I can be bothered chasing it up.
Here's some more pics of the sideboard. (MY sideboard!!!) It gets worse!!! Now I see they have a photo of a table I made in Melunak. Good Grief!!

Regards,

The replicated man!
Attached Thumbnails
oh-dear-cedar_1.jpg   oh-dear-cedar_2.jpg   oh-dear-cedar_3.jpg   oh-dear-cedar_4.jpg   oh-dear-cedar_11.jpg  

oh-dear-cedar_12.jpg   oh-dear-cedar_13.jpg  

Last edited by Ausrob; 10-03-2012 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-03-2012, 02:12 PM
Super Moderator

Over here, photo copyright violations used for commercial purposes are good for $10,000-$100,000 in court. Perhaps you can get free wood for life and agree to let them use pictures of what you make with it?

"If you have good manners and are well spoken, you can be welcome anywhere." -Mom, 1959
Old 10-03-2012, 04:09 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Oh Dear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderwino View Post

Over here, photo copyright violations used for commercial purposes are good for $10,000-$100,000 in court.
But first you have to make them aware of the violation and give them a chance to correct it.

As I see it, Rob's choices are to ask them to remove the photos or give him credit. I would go for the credit, great advertising.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joraft View Post
But first you have to make them aware of the violation and give them a chance to correct it.

As I see it, Rob's choices are to ask them to remove the photos or give him credit. I would go for the credit, great advertising.

Credit with a link to his website! (I think I'd still try for some wood, too; could be a win-win for both. He could be their "featured artisan.")

Old 10-03-2012, 08:00 PM

Hi all,

I've contacted them and made them aware of the fact that my stuff is on their website and that rather than making them take it down, maybe they could link back to my website.
The head Honcho wasn't available, but the guy I spoke to was pretty embarrassed. I hope to hear back from them today. I've told them I'm not overly stressed about it, but that some kind of arrangement has to be made. The way I see it, is that a link back would be good for me and the fact that they have access to all my stuff as examples of different timbers being used in a variety of projects could help their sales. I'm even open to a system where if people from QLD want something made and they buy from Pacific Woods, I'll entertain some kind of discount.
I think all should work OK. One thing I have learned though, is that if push comes to shove, just taking the pics down now isn't enough, they still owe me.

Regards,

Rob

Regards,

Rob