talkFestool  

Go Back   talkFestool > Social Club (Off Topic) > Woodworkers Cafe

Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Inactive Member

Default Solidworks

Post Script: First off, Geeze Collin you are fast! I no sooner said it was OK with me to move this to another thread, and WHAM! it was there within seconds!

Since this sub-thread was relocated out of its original location, and because I am shown as the originator, I thought I would add this P.S. to the original posting so people understood that this was originally part of another discussion that got sidetracked into a SolidWorks discussion. I had shown an exploded view model, which Michael had then commented on, which sidetracked the original discussion into a SolidWorks discussion....and here we are!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelKellough View Post
Excellent illustration Rick!
Thanks. That came out of SolidWorks, which is the same modeling system I used to reverse-engineer the Festool C12 transmission and also design my expanding table. I love it! It is so easy to create complex components and assemblies, and then to be able to create the live exploded views like the one you saw (and the C12). The really cool thing is that it is actually dynamic with solving component motion, etc. For the C12 model, I can actually grab hold of the motor shaft (blue spur gear) with my mouse and rotate it, and at the same time, I see all of the gears throughout the drivetrain mesh and rotate, and can even count the revolutions on the driver tip (red) to see the gear ratio. This came in very handy when I was designing the expanding table, beause I could check for interferences in the mechanism as the leaves expanded and collapsed.

It is really made for hard-core engineering stuff, but that's what makes it so simple for slapping together woodworking stuff. Any time you see a non-photograph color rendering in my manuals, it came out of SolidWorks.
Attached Thumbnails
solidworks-geartrain-lo.jpg  

Last edited by RickChristopherson; 08-16-2008 at 04:06 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-14-2008, 11:36 PM

Default Re: Floating Stair

Rick,
Glad there's another Solidworks fan out there......
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-15-2008, 01:39 AM
Inactive Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColinWhite View Post
Rick,
Well that's really good to know! You got any good woodworking-related models you can share?

I have used SolidWorks to create Tech-Art for a couple of woodworking magazines, and I have this story idea for a router bit storage cabinet, and I could use models of a few more router bits.
Old 08-15-2008, 02:18 AM

Rick,
Sorry to disappoint you but apart from my previous job stuff (pharmaceutical processing machinery) I have very little woodworking related drawings ..... I have been meaning to try to get some drawings done for my own projects but unfortunately with getting talkFestool off the ground I have had very little time ...... Also I don't want to appear as a Solidworks guru either often I stumble around looking for solutions for things I wish to do, but overall Solidworks is an apt platform to design any type of project and as you have said ideal for woodworking design.
Old 08-15-2008, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Rick,
One of the really neat things about Solidworks is the eDrawings module. For example, Rick could send a rendering to Eiji if he wanted in eDrawings. Without having any software of his own Eiji could still download it. manipulate the model, take measurements, all kinds of good stuff. Everything he would need to do this comes essentially embedded with the model. Great stuff. One of my best guys went Henry David Thoreau on me a fes years back. Built a log home in Northern Michigan. We sent his computer up there and he does design work for me. We review the model in eDrawings and refine the concepts until we are satisfied. He then transfers all of the data via dish to our FTP site. Another guy that has his business in his garage. Gets the data and makes the tools. We monitor everything through the site. Works great.

I have the software but have not mastered it. So much to do, so little time.....
Old 08-15-2008, 04:57 PM

The SolidWorks is very tempting. I am just using the free download Sketchup and I am finding it difficult to manipulate and change or add things to a completed drawing. Maybe it is my own user incompitence. I have never been great on a computer. I think if I got the SolidWorks program I would need to take a class. How much does it cost?

Eiji
Old 08-15-2008, 04:58 PM

Way more than you want to spend Eiji.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:10 PM
Super Moderator

That might depend on how much he's charging for the stairs!
Old 08-15-2008, 05:20 PM

OK Sorry Poto I think the US Base version is about 4k.
Old 08-15-2008, 05:30 PM
Administrator

Quote:

... I think the US Base version is about 4k.

Maybe the free Sketchup isn't so bad after all.