Woodworkers Cafe General Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2008, 01:51 AM

Default Re: Floating Stair

Maybe the software discussion could be moved to the computer section:stongue:
Old 08-16-2008, 02:24 AM

you want my job or something Eiji?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-16-2008, 03:40 AM
Inactive Member

Collin, since my posting is where this thread started to stray from the core topic, please feel free to relocate it and the follow-ups to another thread with my blessing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallgrass View Post
being an ME and looking at this, i was wondering, has there been thought to the dynamic nature of the load and resulting moments that are going to be born by this structure,and what the fatigue issues will be?
Yes Tallgrass, this is actually why I was concerned, and also why I was suggesting non-wood structural augmentation.

From Eiji's previous posting, it sounds like he has it under control, so I wasn't going to dwell on it. I will be interested to know what approach he has chosen because this is an intriguing problem, and I love intrigue.

Oh by the way, if I am not mistaken, Cosmos is also an add-on for SolidWorks too, but I have not used it. I think I might even have it loaded, but I don't want to start SolidWorks right now just to find out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
Old 08-16-2008, 04:59 AM

Default Re: Solidworks

yup you are right it is a plug in. i use so many different programs for work i usually only use the portion of the programs that get me where i need to go .
the short list is auto desk mech desk top,v9,3ds, rhino,solid works, pro e ,and many more though i will say get a wacom cintiq..worth every penny......they are great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-16-2008, 09:01 PM

Location: The northernmost end of the southernmost county of New York
Default Designing CAD software

Rhino is a very capable CAD program that is being ported to Mac. It is made by Robert McNeel & Associates. In an interview Bob McNeel talked about the design of new software tools.

"(Bob McNeel): It started as a prototype. We had just been watching and following what some of the users were doing and what they needed and were asking for. There is no grand plan beyond that. So far it has been working well...

So at Robert McNeel & Associates you primarily develop software based on what your current users are asking for? You don't look at the market and your competitors and make sure you are ahead of this or that trend?

I know maybe we should have some kind of plan but it really seems like the more planning we do the more often our users explain to us how foolish we are. It just turns out to be easier to try something and watch and listen. I guess we are really more anthropologists...than software designers or engineers.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:14 PM

Default Re: Solidworks

i like rhino very much, i ave been using it since the beta days, it has come a long way.